Where's better - Melbourne or Adelaide ?

richdownunder

Not many in Adelaide post on here so you might not get as many views and opinions from those settled there as in other cities. There are a few lurking around though so hope some answer you.

Its subjective though isn't it. I don't think either place is 'better' per se. They are different and should be viewed as so and go on each cities merits, not stacking one against the other. One persons experiences or thoughts on a place are going to be different to another's. Some like to live in a smaller town or city, others like larger cities although the reality is that suburbs sprawl for miles round all the main cities.

I think Adelaide is lovely. Its where we will be living from next year anyways, regardless of cost of living and all that as its hubby's hometown. We did entertain Melbourne but hubby isn't keen on it in general so we decided Adelaide was the best place to start as we both like it there and didn't want to be on the east coast or out west.

Hi,

I know there are lots of comparisons between Melbourne and Sydney, but just wanted to get some thoughts between Melbourne and Adelaide including cost of living, housing, working, good areas/bad areas etc.

Look forward to some interesting comments.

Is that a trick question?

How can one be "better" than the other. They are completely different with different economies, cultures, geography, climate. It's like saying, "what's better oranges or bananas?"

It really depends what you're looking for.

I'm the first to admit I'm no fan of Adelaide so I can give you some of it's negatives (purely from my own opinion).

1. It's a city of 1.2 million people that stretches about 140km from Gawler in the north to wherever the wendy-house builders have got to south of Seaford Downs this week in the south. Yet it likes to think of itself as a small country town. You're a city - grow some cojones and act like one!

2. It's a tiny, incestuous economy. This makes finding work difficult as it's all about who you know. Doesn't exactly make it the most innovative or forward thinking place on planet earth either.

3. Areas.

a. There is a lot of nothing. Housing estate, housing estate, light industrial estate, housing estate, big shopping centre, housing estate, giant soulless pub / pokies hall repeat for the next 30km.

b. There is ridiculous "suburb snobbery". Basically anything north of Grand Junction Road is talked about as if it's Moss Side and Broadwater Farm estate rolled into one. In reality it's just a lot of nothing as I described above but with slightly poorer people living there. Everywhere else people really do grade you by the reputation of the address you live in.

c. In all seriousness I do quite like the eastern suburbs, especially Norwood. They do actually have some life in them but you pay dearly for the privilege. Good schools out there as well but not exactly bursting with employment opportunities.

I'm sure others will be on in a minute to give Adelaide's good points (genuinely there are many, I'm jesting a bit above) and to describe Melbourne for you.

But they are so different you really need to decide what you want, research whether it's achievable in both or either and then visit to get a feel for the place.

Best of luck.

Wherever you can get the best employment opportunity, once settled you can always move if you do not like it.

I prefer Melbourne because the climate is not quite as harsh as Adelaide, Adelaide can be hotter than Melbourne in the summer, drier etc. Lovely beaches though and the hills are very nice.

I love Melbourne it has everything, hills, beach, city, country, suburbs,just have to find what suits.

I like the fact that I can live in amongst green fields and be in town in 60minutes. Good shopping centres close by. Lots of parks, bay beaches which are good for children, ocean beaches which are good for the surfies. Two bays, Phillip Island, not far from Wilsons Prom. Mountains and snow in winter, spring flowers in the mountains when the snow melts. Easy to get to everything Victoria being a smaller State.

As others have said, it depends what you want in life. I think after a time the smallness of Adelaide might get on your nerves and bcome a bit claustrophobic but both are good places . Adelaide is a fair bit cheaper of course but I would think less opportunities too. On the other hand, if you like going to the Outback Adelaide is a lot closer. Really depends on where you would feel comfortable. Personally I think Melbourne is the best, then Brisbane and then Adelaide. Just quality of life stuff.

Okay, can't comment on Melbourne but Adelaide is a beatiful place to be. The best place for you though, as others have said, will depend on what you are looking for. If you are after a big city with lots of night life then Adelaide is not for you. If you want somewhere with a CBD that is easy to navigate, within easy reach of beaches and hills, lots of parklands and green open spaces, a short trip to numourous wine regions and a relaxed and friendly family feel then Adelaide is the place to come. The weather in Adelaide is not dramatically different to Melourne, just slightly warmer. You still get four seasons, even if winter is nothing like as cold as the UK.

There are some great places to live in Adelaide and only a few places to avoid. Housing is cheaper here, although some areas can still get really expensive. People will tell you the wages are lower as well but this is a genralisation and does not necessarily apply to all jobs.

Adelaide really isn't that small. Maybe in comparison to the other big cities but it's a decent size if you're looking for something thats middle of the road. Most cities in the UK aren't really big either, unless you wanna compare everything to London. I think your perception of what is big or small depends on where you live now....big isn't always best!

Adelaide outside of the centre lacks intensity for the most part. Although big in population it is difficult to compare with UK cities, which tend to be far more compact both in population per square kilometre as well as buildings. All Australian cities sprawl but Melbourne does at least have a fairly decent city centre along with a few other centres that display a vibe.

If you want suburban living Adelaide is nice enough..and only several hours by road to Melbourne. I rather like Glenelg by the beach ...

Adelaide outside of the centre lacks intensity for the most part. Although big in population it is difficult to compare with UK cities, which tend to be far more compact both in population per square kilometre as well as buildings. All Australian cities sprawl but Melbourne does at least have a fairly decent city centre along with a few other centres that display a vibe.

If you want suburban living Adelaide is nice enough..and only several hours by road to Melbourne. I rather like Glenelg by the beach ...

Exactly right.

I laugh at the "Adelaide's small" thing. In terms of population it would be the 2nd biggest city in the British Isles and in terms of geographical size it would be the biggest by a huge order of magnitude. This is why it is so difficult to compare cities in the UK to cities in Australia.

Can you imagine someone saying "don't live in Birmingham, Manchester, Glasgow, Cardiff, Dublin, Edinburgh, Leeds, Liverpool, Newcastle-upon-Tyne, Belfast, even Nottingham or Brighton or Aberdeen or Swansea or Cork; it's too small and there's nothing to do there" yet all are far smaller than Adelaide (except Brum which is only a bit smaller).

It must be a mind thing. Adelaide sees itself as the equivalent of a Ripon or Brecon or Sligo or one of those Scottish Border Reiver towns which for a place of that size is a bit bizarre to say the least. (Actually those are probably really bad examples but it shows how impossible it is to compare British and Irish cities to Australian ones, they really don't bear any comparison.)

I think that's why you have to see Australian cities for yourself and (/soapbox alert/) look outside the capital cities as well for places to live. You may not find what you want in the capitals - though you may well - but there are other places in Australia to live. (/soapbox over/)

Exactly right.

I laugh at the "Adelaide's small" thing. In terms of population it would be the 2nd biggest city in the British Isles and in terms of geographical size it would be the biggest by a huge order of magnitude. This is why it is so difficult to compare cities in the UK to cities in Australia.

Can you imagine someone saying "don't live in Birmingham, Manchester, Glasgow, Cardiff, Dublin, Edinburgh, Leeds, Liverpool, Newcastle-upon-Tyne, Belfast, even Nottingham or Brighton or Aberdeen or Swansea or Cork; it's too small and there's nothing to do there" yet all are far smaller than Adelaide (except Brum which is only a bit smaller).

It must be a mind thing. Adelaide sees itself as the equivalent of a Ripon or Brecon or Sligo or one of those Scottish Border Reiver towns which for a place of that size is a bit bizarre to say the least. (Actually those are probably really bad examples but it shows how impossible it is to compare British and Irish cities to Australian ones, they really don't bear any comparison.)

I think that's why you have to see Australian cities for yourself and (/soapbox alert/) look outside the capital cities as well for places to live. You may not find what you want in the capitals - though you may well - but there are other places in Australia to live. (/soapbox over/)

I don't agree with much of what you say but that's a damn good post. Never thought of it like that

The reason Adelaide is often seen as a small city is because the CBD is only 1 mile square. And is then surrounded by parklands so there is no doubting where the city centre ends and the rest of the suburbs begin. As an area or district yes it is huge, but the city itself is relatively small. There is an awful lot of suburbs and areas around the city that spread a long way but they are not all really 'Adelaide' at all.

The reason Adelaide is often seen as a small city is because the CBD is only 1 mile square. And is then surrounded by parklands so there is no doubting where the city centre ends and the rest of the suburbs begin. As an area or district yes it is huge, but the city itself is relatively small. There is an awful lot of suburbs and areas around the city that spread a long way but they are not all really 'Adelaide' at all.

Same as Canberra which is approx 40kms from end to end

We have been in Adelaide for 4 mths now and it very slow, its to slow for us we are going to move after christmas to near Sydney. We live in Golden Grove and its very nice.

As an ex Croweater I understand the 'slow' comment. You will find NSW and Sydney very different in every aspect.

Try being in Leeton, NSW :eek: ..I lasted a week!

I used to be on the country run for DEC (Digital Equipment Corporation) as a field service engineer, and Leeton Council was a client. I truly get this comment.

We were only there for work....on a farm....so not even in the town bit, I'm definately a city girl.

Farm central with mozzie growing as a sideline

Archived