New Years Eve Locations

Guest TheArmChairDetective

This is a request.

I can't decide if Sydney or Melbourne is the place to be for New Years Eve.

The TV always shows the firefowrks on Sydney Harbour every year but my brother, who lives in Melbourne, tells me that New Years eve in Melbourne is far superior. (He's lived in both cities but in Melbourne longer)

Can anyone shed some light please on which is a Must thing to do and see in Oz for New Years Eve Please?

thanks

I was in Sydney for NYE 2006/7 and I must say the fireworks are more impressive when you see them on the telly! Don't get me wrong it was pretty amazing. We got tickets to sit in the Botanical Gardens so had an amazing view of the bridge and harbour

Friends in Melbourne tell me that the NYE celebrations are good there too.

At the end of the day isn't it who you with not where you are?!

Guest FamFive

Thats a good quote, but I would just be happy to be celebrating in australia (nice warm night to watch fireworks and not bitterly cold like here in uk!

[ATTACH]380[/ATTACH]

By the way are you not a little late or very premeture LOL

EllieNLee

:wubclub::cool:

This year we were heading to Mooloolaba for the beach celebrations but it was RAINED off!!! So we drove to Brisbane Southbank and watched the spectacular fireworks while our daughter swam in the pool on the beach in the middle of the city..It was just perfect...

WELL DONE BRISSY...

Jo x

Have to say Jo that sounds perfect we spent it in Edinburgh in the rain wouldn't do it again bit of an anti climax

x

Guest FamFive

Ah i've always fancied new years eve in Edinburgh too! Never mind hopefully it will be brissi next year too for us

EllieNLee

:wubclub::cool:

• 2 months later...

Well its definate, booking the tickets for the grand tour tomorrow.

Definately staying in Sydney for the Fireworks.

Now we have to decide on a good beach hotel...:yes:

We was in Sydney for 2006/07 new years eve fireworks - started at Darling Harbour with a perfect spot sitting on edge of harbour feet dangling over - had a fantastic view this was fireworks at 9pm

Loads of us together - thought we had enough time to get up to the Opera house (which is not far) for midnight fireworks from the bridge - bad idea never been so crushed, squashed, stood on etc before, too too many peolpe even the police had troubles controlling the crowds.Still great thou as all the coffee shops bars etc stay open till real late - we didnt leave till 3am ish & still open then.

If you do go to Sydney get to the spot you want to be at in plenty of time and stay put !!! but ENJOY are the fireworks are AMAZING

gizmo

Guest JoanneHattersley

i like my sofa, the big plasma tv showing the fireworks and a glass of something alcoholic in my hand!

Guest THE JONEZYS

We were in Sydney NYE 04/05. Had a table at Doyles, facing the opera house, almost under the bridge and just went out side to see fireworks at midnight. It still gives me goose bumps to this day!

We stayed after at the Marriot on the corner of Pitt Street, which was just minutes away.

It was really busy and I wouldn't have wanted to be out side amongst the crowds as we had Charlie with us and he was only 5 at the time!

In saying that tho', a really weird thing happened............As I was standing on a table singing Auld lang Syne, as you do,..... my cousin from the UK.....who I had no idea was holidaying in Aus spotted me and called the bouncer at the door to get me!

The whole eveing was a bit surreal and unforgetable!

It was also very expensive but as a once in a lifetime treat, would highly recomend it!

Lesley

• 2 years later...
Guest itskaren

I have spent NYE in Melbourne and have to say enjoyed it very much. Lots of things to do with the kids. 10/10!

• 2 weeks later...

Done Sydney twice - both times on the "Lawn with a view" wich over looks the Opera House and Harbour Bridge. It was about $170 per adult when I went. That includes a hamper of food, there is a bar there and toilets, so it beats fighting the crowds in the free viewing areas

Guest gary12

I enjoyed our NYE in Melbourne last year. We only stayed for the kids fireworks at 9pm but it was good fun. I have just booked my nephew and his mates into the YHA hostel at the Rocks including the NYE party on the roof terrace. I figure they will get a stunning view without the crush.

Book your hotels now in Sydney, I have found a lot to be booked already and I hope you either have a sugar daddy or a lottery win in the pipeline!

Either way, I am sure you will have a fabulous time.

regards

Michelle

Well its definate, booking the tickets for the grand tour tomorrow.

Definately staying in Sydney for the Fireworks.

Now we have to decide on a good beach hotel...:yes:

t

If a boat on the Sydney Harbour is involved, it's even better to watch from. If

anyone wants good inexpensive accommodation in Sydney (Hyde Park) right on Oxford St, walk down the hill to the Opera House etc, the check out the Y on the Park, it's clean and hostel type accomm, have family rooms and great cafe downstairs Shuttle from the airport about $12.00

www.yhotel.com.au

Archived