Where to live in or around Sydney

Neel1968

Hi To All

My family and I are moving to Australia in November 2012. We are staying with relatives for three months.

I cannot figure out where we should live? I have two children aged 13 and 16. Want to live somewhere affordable but with enough for the kids to do something. Can anyone suggest places?

Thanks

Neel1968

How much can you afford to pay to buy/rent a home?

Where are you going to be working?

How long are you prepared to spend commuting?

Are you going to drive to work or take public transport?

Do you want a house with a garden or would you prefer to live in a terrace-type home?

Do you want to live close to the beach or close to the City?

Assuming you could afford to buy a terrace in Surry Hills where I live (I 'only' have a unit - flat) you would probably not have much of a garden but you would be within walking distance of most amenities. Buy a house with a garden and it probably means you need a car - need two, and when your kids are old enough, four. My brother has a four-car family out at Picnic Point. which is an area I rather like nuy without a car, you are isolated, if there's no bus and it's a long walk to the station (assuming you HAVE a station!)

Since I started working at Penrith, which is 55 kilometres from Surry Hills, I have had to learn to commute long distances. A four-hour part time job becomes almost full time when you add in 90 minutes commuting each way. So, working eight hours means an eleven-hour day, and if you are working longer hours than that, and/or commuting even further, your day will become, well, 'The Longest Day' (excuse the pun.)

Perhaps you will like the area where your relatives are living? That's somewhere to start.

Hi To All

My family and I are moving to Australia in November 2012. We are staying with relatives for three months.

I cannot figure out where we should live? I have two children aged 13 and 16. Want to live somewhere affordable but with enough for the kids to do something. Can anyone suggest places?

Thanks

Neel1968

You really need to give us a bit more to go on. Do you have work yet or know where you might work? What do you mean by affordable, we all find different things affordable.

Hi there, the lucky part about staying with rellies for three months means you will have enough time to research a lot of areas, and they should help too?

Sydney is spread out and varied in look, feel and price! You'll find an area that works for you. Good luck

Hi Sorry to all for the delay in reply.

I do not have work yet as I hope to set up my own business or find work with a local company. I am an electrician and cabinet maker. Although I am quite happy to learn a new skill if it is required.

My relatives are in Castle Hill, it seems a but pricey for my pocket. But anything around that area seems to be the same. I have looked at places like Ropes Crossing and the house prices were favourable. But, I have had quite discouraging comments made about how close it is to Blacktown and how I would not want to live near social housing projects.

Also looked at Stanhope Gardens with much the same reaction.

I want somewhere that the kids can go to school easily, and that is family friendly. I am not to worried about night life yet but need somewhere that the kids can see a movie or go the the shops safely and easily.

I am flexible i where I live as everything is a blank canvas.

Have you considered Sutherland Shire? Although it is a way away from Castle Hill and surrounds, it is a lovely and very family friendly area. I don't know if you want to live near the rels particularly, and you don't say whose rel's they are, but if they belong to one side or the other, it can sometimes be better to live away. Close enough to visit, not close enough to drop in unannounced!

Archived