Quarantine in Australia going down in Jan 2013?

Tulip

Still waiting for news! There will be at least a 7 month delay, so the very earliest would be August/September time.

If you have plans to go then you are best to proceed with them as this 10 day quarantine may be a year away or longer. the draft proposal has been approved, but it needs to be implemented and governments do not move fast!

Hi. My concern about my dog is not the time spent in quarantine but the flight itself. My dog (13) hates it when i even go 50mph in the car with him in it although it never used to bother him. If he's not allowed anything to calm him i don't know if he would manage the flight. He gets stuff from the vet to calm him down when guy fawkes is coming as he also hates the noise of the fireworks, how would he manage the noise of the aircraft engine on his own? It would be heartbreaking to leave him but i worry he wouldn't manage the flight. Whats your advice????

Dear Alana Rose Rae

I know what you mean. it is that part of the journey people fret about, but problems with pets on the actual flight are very rare , even for dogs with separation anxiety and noise phobias. You are best to spend lots of time getting him de-sensitised to the noise and getting used to being crated. You can get cd's of firework/loud bangs.

Either have a chat with your vets who can recommend a behaviourist or have a good look on the internet.

It is a super tough call, especially with him being a bit older - the thing to do is to plan all for him going and then around 1-2 months to go have a serious think and decide.

If we can help more then give me a call

Bob

.....One thing I would add is that even dogs who are frightened of large trucks (my Abby) (although it would be fairer to say she's frightened of truck drivers......past experience from her life before me) seem to cope with the huge conglomeration of large vehicles from inside a crate - it gives a feeling of safety....

Also - the 'movement' factor is different on a plane - as you'll know yourself from flying.....it feels as though you're static most of the time, apart from take-off & landing.....

I think animals cope better than us to be honest as they go to sleep for much of the journey - they have the ability to sort of 'shut down'.....

How often I've wished for that same ability on a long-haul night flight !!!

Your baby will be fine - and you'll be there for him for the rest of his life, which is what's really important to him.....

Incidentally, Abby's much better than she used to be as I have systematically introduced her to as many huge* truck drivers as possible - who (IMHO) are some of the nicest people ever.....

* I mean the trucks, not the drivers !

Edited by Galahad

• 2 months later...
  • 4 months later...

I have a terrier cross and a Beagle and there was no decision to be made, if I was going to Oz, then they were going to. I also really tried to think with my head and not my heart and what would be the best for them.

My terrier cross is a rescue and I don't want her to go to another home. We spent a lot of time getting her used to us and settling her in and we know she is happy now. I have to be honest, it is the worst part of the process and we have not gone through the worst of it yet.

My advice would be to watch videos on Youtube of the quarantine, speak to the pet shippers for their advice and/or tips. We are using PetAir. I have spoken to Bob (one of the vets there) on a few occasions and he has really taken on board my fears and has answered my questions honestly and put my mind to rest about a few things. Catherine is our dogs' travel consultant and again she really understands what the owners go through and they really allow for every eventuality.

I think once I know they have arrived in Oz, I will relax a little. Once they are in quarantine, they will be well cared for and I am sure they have the dogs' best interests in mind. We plan to go and visit them and see for ourselves.

• 3 months later...

Just got this from the http://www.daff.gov.au/biosecurity/cat-dogs :

New import conditions when applying for an import permit for your dog or cat come into effect from 2 December 2013. Under the new conditions the minimum post-arrival quarantine stay will be reduced from 30 days to 10 days. To learn more about the change visit the frequently asked questions page.

So it's true then? GREAT NEWS. But I guess you all know this already?