Getting desperate in Melbourne

Mullso

Have you looked in and around Mentone? Or anywhere close by on the Frankston line? We were in a similar situation, we arrived in December with 2 Labs in quarantine and a 6 month old baby. Some of the places we looked at were shocking and we got very disheartened, very quickly. However, we've ended up in a 4 bed in Mentone for $550 a week. It's an older house but has loads of space and out landlord lives next door and adores our dogs - he and his family look after them if we go away or out for the day. Something will turn up, don't worry.

Are you looking at places that actually say "pets allowed"? We were told not to do this but to ask the agent each time we saw a suitable house if the landlord would consider pets. We also got a reference from the company that are letting out our house back in the UK to say that they knew we had dogs and yet our house was immaculate.

Good luck!

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Still waiting for agents to let us know if we have a house ! They are useless !!! How hard can it be ??? We passed the acceptance test so just ask the bloody owner if he is interested in having us as tenants !! AAARRRRGHHH Driving us mad ! Dog out of quarantine this weekend and despite phone calls and emails requesting politely for an update they still havent got back to us !!

Looking for kennels now but all full so far as its half term holiday !!!!

So once again we wait .........

I can see why this is a logical and tested process the whole renting game but it would help if the agents got off their arses and did thier jobs ! I called one lady and she said yep all looking good there are 2 applicatiosn in / following day there were 3 and yesterday there were 4 / I called back yesterday and the owner will accept dogs but not a big dog !!!! What difference does it make ???? A dog will either destroy stuff or it wont it has NOTHING to do with the size of the dog !! I have young kids and a german shepherd do you really think I would put the 2 together if she was a dangerous dog or a dog that destroys things !! God it makes no sense.

Both my wife and I are so depressed about the whole thing and its certainly not making the Oz expereience a pleasant one ! Dont get me wrong I love it here but this is a real issue ! I did think we could start this process prior to coming out - but forget it - agents will a) not contact a UK Phone number and you HAVE to BOTH view a property to be accepted! So you have to be in Oz

So i am now looking at paying for my 2 bed rental as the company duration has now expired AND looking for a holiday let that allows dogs so thats approx $400 Per day UNTIL I can get an answer from an agent and find a house

New arrivals please beware ! We didnt expect it to be this hard ! Advice I have recieved since this nightmare is get your company to get you a relocation agent - too late for me but by the sounds of it speaking to work mates - thats the way we should have gone - its a nightmare on our own !

I hear ya! The rental situ is mental in Sydney too! We could not find a property who would accept our cat, so didn't tell them in the end. It is a nightmare. Real Estes in my experience are useless! You will be accepted, but maybe don't tell them you have a dog, you do risk if they find out what will happen.

What about private lets? Often it is not the owner who wont allow dogs but the rental agent who is not OK with pets - goes in the too hard basket.

Blackburn, Nunawading are lovely areas and if it is an older house it will probably have a larger block. Boronia, Ferntree gully - a bit further out but some nice places out that way and probably pets not such an issue as they may be closer in.

What about Oakleigh and surrounding areas - nice areas and usually have a garden associated with the house. As an alternative why not pick an area where you can see they have large blocks and therefore there are likely to be pets in the neighbourhood (hard for them to say the neighbours will complain about your dog if the neighbours also have a dog) and then contact all the agents to see what gives.

Have you looked in and around Mentone? Or anywhere close by on the Frankston line? We were in a similar situation, we arrived in December with 2 Labs in quarantine and a 6 month old baby. Some of the places we looked at were shocking and we got very disheartened, very quickly. However, we've ended up in a 4 bed in Mentone for $550 a week. It's an older house but has loads of space and out landlord lives next door and adores our dogs - he and his family look after them if we go away or out for the day. Something will turn up, don't worry.

Are you looking at places that actually say "pets allowed"? We were told not to do this but to ask the agent each time we saw a suitable house if the landlord would consider pets. We also got a reference from the company that are letting out our house back in the UK to say that they knew we had dogs and yet our house was immaculate.

Good luck!

HI DBC

No looking at ANYTHING thats big enough for the family and habitable - and believe me some I have seen are debatable ! Just looked at Mentone on Realestate and there is One 4 bedroom house - guess its not my day today ! Seems a bit far on the train / tram etc to CBD - is it ?

No not searching for pets allowed either - asking the agents prior to arrival most say yeah no prob - which is obviously another croc of S***

I hear ya! The rental situ is mental in Sydney too! We could not find a property who would accept our cat, so didn't tell them in the end. It is a nightmare. Real Estes in my experience are useless! You will be accepted, but maybe don't tell them you have a dog, you do risk if they find out what will happen.

Really good advice - not! How would you like it if you had a property and didnt want animals in it but tenants did it anyway. I hate dogs and cats think they are smelly and disgusting, other people love them but I would never allow anyone to rent my property if they had one and if i found out someone had one I would terminate the lease immediately. Maybe the OP will just have to start looking further afield if he cant get anything in the area he wants.

Mentone isn't far at all - in the morning there are plenty of express trains straight into the CBD that take around 25 minutes I think (my hubby gets off a bit beforehand). Great public transport too for your wife and kids - I have a car here but there are lots of buses and lots of great facilities for kids. I take the dpgs down the beach each day and go to swimming lessons, playgroup etc with my little one. Parkdale and Mordialloc are the next 2 stops down and also nice. Cheltenham is the stop beforehand and also a good spot.

What about somewhere on the Sandringham line? Hampton and Sandringham are lovely, pricey, but with a budget of $700 you might find something.

I feel so bad for you, I remember that panic that we had, you just want to be settled before the dogs come out.

BTW, we were given a relocation agent and she was bloody useless, I found the house we are in now myself, she just drove us to look at it!

Please let me know if I can help at all.

http://www.realestate.com.au/property-house-vic-mentone-408598443

http://www.realestate.com.au/property-house-vic-mentone-408598375

http://www.realestate.com.au/property-house-vic-mentone-408592491 - this one says pet friendly and is on the beach side of the highway

http://www.realestate.com.au/property-house-vic-mentone-408557143

http://www.realestate.com.au/property-house-vic-mentone-408412643

None of the above specify that pets are not allowed so always worth asking. Be really annoying to the agents too, we went on and on at some of them to get on the phone (while we were i the office) to ask the landlords as I know for a fact that some of them didn't even bother to ask them - we found one before we got into ours and the agent said no pets were allowed. We offered them another $30 a week and they said yes! It felt good to tell them to shove it, I have no problem with people not allowing pets in their rentals, but if they were that bothered they wouldn't let you for an extra measley $30!!

http://www.realestate.com.au/property-house-vic-mentone-408592491 - this one says pet friendly and is on the beach side of the highway

None of the above specify that pets are not allowed so always worth asking. Be really annoying to the agents too, we went on and on at some of them to get on the phone (while we were i the office) to ask the landlords as I know for a fact that some of them didn't even bother to ask them - we found one before we got into ours and the agent said no pets were allowed. We offered them another $30 a week and they said yes! It felt good to tell them to shove it, I have no problem with people not allowing pets in their rentals, but if they were that bothered they wouldn't let you for an extra measley $30!!

Hi DBC

Just sent a couple of these to my wife - who is in the car somewhere looking at more houses ! Looked at train and its 40mins so thats not bad either

Cant believe your tale of the guy who said no dogs then $30 later he was fine - parasite !

We went through the same thing with our cat coming out of quarantine, and had no where to go. We started off in Perth but due to lack of finding accommodation we moved to Sydney where my aunty lives! We stupidly thought how hard can it be to find somewhere to live, so only booked temp accommodation for 2 Weeks!!! We found real estates in Perth so unhelpful. We were in Sydney for 5 Weeks before we got offered a flat. Nightmare! Nobody is in a rush, people don't get back to you, Argh! We didn't and still haven't told our real estate we have a cat, as to start with we were honest about having a cat but just kept getting rejected due to her. I was shocked how hard it us to get property when u have pets! Crazy!

If having a cat was holding me back settling in to a new country I'm afraid ti would have to go. No way would I be moving from one side of a country to another just for a cat, or any other pet for that matter.

The extra measly $30 a week would pay for the cleanup and fumigation after you left. We saw a couple of propertied when we were looking for rentals and you could smell they had dogs in them. Our landlord had a few properties and a couple had a dog and didn't tell him. When they moved out he had to rip the carpet up and replace it and fix up a couple of doors where the dog had been scratching. A lot of renters don't do the right thing so landlords have to be careful.

Guest The Pom Queen
If having a cat was holding me back settling in to a new country I'm afraid ti would have to go. No way would I be moving from one side of a country to another just for a cat, or any other pet for that matter.

For a lot of people pets are part of the family and are treat like that. I wouldn't move without my babies

I can, hand on heart, say that my house is absolutely immaculate. I don't know why people think that because you have pets you want to live in your own s**t. I have a 15 month old daughter and clean the place everyday. I've been to plenty of houses where pets do not live and I can't believe how dirty they are.

I am a landlord back in the UK and as long as people can show that their pets are trained (references, dog training certs etc) I have no problem with pets in my house.

The house that we looked at was dire to start with and would have only improved with us living there as we loko after our house very well.

I appreciate that some people don't do the right thing, but everyone should be judged on their own merits.

Frankston South paying $550 a week for a large 4 Bedroom overlooking the bay.

Its a 45 minute train ride to Melbourne CBD and if you use the toll road into city around an hour drive.

For $700 a week you can get a big house with pool around here.

Should be able to pick up a nice place for $500 - $600 easy.

We have Dogs and Kids.

The key is to have a covering letter with your application any personal & business reference's will help

and have all your ID copied and application forms already filled out ready to hand in on the day when viewing,

Even if your not sure if its a property you want.

Offer to pay 6 Months rent in advance as this can sway them towards you.

If you do not have a job it will be almost impposible to rent,

and again offering a large payment up front will help overcome this for some landlords.

If you have Pets and Kids, offer to Pay for proffesional cleaning when you give up the lease, it re assures them and can help your application.

I still own my UK property and lease it out and these factors i gurantee do make a diffrence when considering tennants.

NO NOT ALL HOUSES HAVE A/C

Guest The Pom Queen

I agree as a pet owner I would be offering an extra bond or more rental per week. By law an agent can't ask for this but they will bite your hand off.

Mullso I have contacts who have lovely 4/5 bed homes which would accept pets but they are in what you class as soleless suburbs, so of no interest. You will however not find as many pet friendly rentals in the inner suburbs as you will in the outer burbs

I agree as a pet owner I would be offering an extra bond or more rental per week. By law an agent can't ask for this but they will bite your hand off.

Mullso I have contacts who have lovely 4/5 bed homes which would accept pets but they are in what you class as soleless suburbs, so of no interest. You will however not find as many pet friendly rentals in the inner suburbs as you will in the outer burbs

Can you PM me and Ill call you ?

Thank God you don't have pets ! Didn't like Perth Anycase, the people were very narrow minded, not for me! You appear very aggressive. I am exchanging my experience with the OP, I wasn't asking for any advice myself.

Really good advice - not! How would you like it if you had a property and didnt want animals in it but tenants did it anyway. I hate dogs and cats think they are smelly and disgusting, other people love them but I would never allow anyone to rent my property if they had one and if i found out someone had one I would terminate the lease immediately. Maybe the OP will just have to start looking further afield if he cant get anything in the area he wants.

I was not offering advice to you. It was an option for the OP because he is'desperate'to find accommodation.

I was not offering advice to you. It was an option for the OP because he is'desperate'to find accommodation.

And he would be even more desperate if him, his family, his dog AND his furniture ended up on the pavement cos he had lied to his landlord!

Guest The Pom Queen

Now come on bickering isn't helping anyone. There are plenty of properties that will allow pets but you may have to be willing to look at a broader area.