Should we trust the low unemployment figures?

rikyuu

This is an interesting one. Some time ago I read some artcicles on how the real unemployment rate is higher than the official one by a few points. I cannot recall the details, If I just could remember where I read it and find the articles...

If this was true it would make UK stats not very comparable with OZ stats, and unemployment a serious concern when thinking of migrating downunder.

Does anybody have more information on this?

Guest The Ropey HOFF
This is an interesting one. Some time ago I read some artcicles on how the real unemployment rate is higher than the official one by a few points. I cannot recall the details, If I just could remember where I read it and find the articles...

If this was true it would make UK stats not very comparable with OZ stats, and unemployment a serious concern when thinking of migrating downunder.

Does anybody have more information on this?

Unfortunately the figures are all we can go on and unemployment in Australia is a lot lower than the UK, people can guess and surmise as much as they want, but personally I go with recorded figures not what someone on a forum thinks, or assumes.

Unfortunately the figures are all we can go on and unemployment in Australia is a lot lower than the UK, people can guess and surmise as much as they want, but personally I go with recorded figures not what someone on a forum thinks, or assumes.

Is that though because Australia has two thirds less population than the UK?

Guest The Ropey HOFF

No ... I think the figures are a simple equation based on the percentage of people out of work, from the working population, it's the same in every country, it's got nothing to do with how bigger or lesser the population is. Just to mention, Perth has half the unemployment the UK has, so those looking at migrating should seriously think about this when choosing where to go.

Whoa!:biggrin:

I may sometimes sound a bit more negative that intended. I have no alterntive stats to propose.From my point of view it is a good exercise to challenge assumptions, especially myown. One of them is about low unemployment in Oz and Canberra in particular.

I still hope to migrate one day, this is the reason I keep reading this forum, checking DIAC updates, and looking at stats.

Intresting, looks like oz probably has more unemployment that the UK, I suppose that's why we get so many ppeople saying in this forum that they are really struggling to find work in oz.

I'm sure it was you that threw that line in, or one very similar, last week. I asked then what does it matter what the population of the country is? It's a percentage, not a total number. If you look at total number unemployed then the UK would look very bad.

To be honest the only figures I'm worried about is the ones to do with my bank account. I'm lucky I suppose in that I've pretty much always been in work over the past 15 years, so to me, weather or not the unemployment figures are 5% or 7%, depending on what recording method you believe, does not and has not really affected me.

Guest The Ropey HOFF

So ..... We are to believe some guy who questioned 4,500 out of a workforce of over 11 million people rather than the government figures?

Like I said, similar scams are going on in the UK, but the official figures shows Australan unemployment is far lower than the UK and not only that, most on PIO are skilled migrants looking at emigrating, who are far more employable and stand a better chance of a good well paid job in Australia. Next someone will come up with some geezer saying the weathers better in the UK than Australia. Lol.

So ..... We are to believe some guy who questioned 4,500 out of a workforce of over 11 million people rather than the government figures?Like I said, similar scams are going on in the UK, but the official figures shows Australan unemployment is far lower than the UK and not only that, most on PIO are skilled migrants looking at emigrating, who are far more employable and stand a better chance of a good well paid job in Australia. Next someone will come up with some geezer saying the weathers better in the UK than Australia. Lol.
Never heard anyone say the weather is better in the uk to be honest hoff but just different, I prefer the 4 seasons in the uk than the 2 seasons in oz...hot then cold and wet, we are all different.

To be unemployed people have to register, a lot of people do not register when they lose their jobs, if their partner is working they probably will not get any assistance so why bother. What needs to also be noted is how many people are under employed, part time when they want full time, casual when they want permanent, then we are talking about a whole lot more people. Also different sections of the community, some are better for getting a job than others.

Youth unemployment is very high and in depends on where they are living to a large extent what jobs will be available for them.

Employers do not want people without experience or bits of paper so this marginalizes a lot of people.

Guest The Ropey HOFF
Never heard anyone say the weather is better in the uk to be honest hoff but just different, I prefer the 4 seasons in the uk than the 2 seasons in oz...hot then cold and wet, we are all different.

It was partly in reply to your scaremongering claim that Australia has higher unemployment than the UK and that it is somehow backed up by some posters on here struggling to find work. There's been programmes on the tv about how the UK government massages the unemployment figures, it's probably the same in every country, but to have us believe that it's double the official figures in Australia because some geezer says so and that the last government and this government have have somehow agreed to cover it up, sounds like a load of hogwash to me. Like I say to people, ignore the scaremongering and look at emigrating to lower states, such as Perth WA, where unemployment is really low at 3.6% more than twice less than the UK figures.

I know people that are casual and work once in a blue moon...perhaps once or twice a month....they are classed as employed?! Seems more like a hobby to me.

Guest Guest63690
I think it was established on another thread that the UK's figures are not double the Oz figures but only 2. something apart.

Hi Julz, yep its 2.8% higher in the UK. But lower in many regions of the UK than the Oz average of 5.2% at around the 2-4% mark. It is the few areas of the UK, that are sadly experiencing extremely high unemployment that bring our average up to the 8% mark, though this must be true for oz also.

Guest The Ropey HOFF

Hi Julz, yep its 2.8% higher in the UK. But lower in many regions of the UK than the Oz average of 5.2% at around the 2-4% mark. It is the few areas of the UK, that are sadly experiencing extremely high unemployment that bring our average up to the 8% mark, though this must be true for oz also.

2.8% equals almost an extra one million more people out of work in the UK. You are right there are some places mostly down South where unemployment is lower.

No ... I think the figures are a simple equation based on the percentage of people out of work, from the working population, it's the same in every country, it's got nothing to do with how bigger or lesser the population is. Just to mention, Perth has half the unemployment the UK has, so those looking at migrating should seriously think about this when choosing where to go.

based on what you read in the papers hoffey eh

Guest The Ropey HOFF
based on what you read in the papers hoffey eh

Thats all we basically have to go on, not necessarily the papers, but produced figures from government departments, do I trust them, hell no, but what else can we go on, some guy saying different?

according to this article, there are quite a few people unaccounted for in the figures released and most employment growth is in mining/WA.

http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/national/no-wonder-the-jobs-outlook-is-grim-20120906-25ge8.html

No.

All governments are creative with the truth about unemployment figures Australia is no exception.

http://www.roymorgan.com/news/polls/unemployment.cfm

Definition of Unemployment

http://www.abcdiamond.com/australia/definition-of-unemployment/

To be honest I am only interested in getting some reliable figures on unemployment in OZ.

The possibility that OZ figures are manipulated in some ways is worth some extra checks and usually an open discussion on this forum helps a lot. I appreciate this is a sensitive topic for all of us, but sarcasm and patronising comments will not help anybody.

An open discussion will be very welcome.

At the end of the day, I will have to make a difficult decision based on some storytelling and a bunch of figures.

Archived