Skills Assessment - Accountant

Morana

Hi,

My family and I are just starting the process of emigrating to Australia. I am a qualified CIMA accountant and i'm hoping there are people out there who are from a similar background going through the process or have been through it.

My questions centre around the skills assesment.

1. Who is it best to get your CIMA skills assessed through? CPA or ICAA

2. Is it worth getting your employment history assessed at the same time? And if you do this does that mean you can automatically become a member of the CPA/ICAA at the same time?

3. When applying for jobs in Australia as a management accountant will they expect you to be a member of CPA or ICAA or can you just remain a member of CIMA?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Hi Morana,

I too am a CIMA qualified accountant and have lodged my visa application so am happy to help you if needed.

In terms of which assessment body to use, I don't think it matters too much however, I went CPA due to the reciprocal agreement with CIMA so it seemed the natural fit and it's also cheaper and should be a quicker turnaround though I did find there timescales were a bit longer than the advertised ones.

If you want to become a CPA member, you should do this first as the skills assessment would then be free....but I decided against this option as I don't think it's worth it (you'd have to maintain 2 annual memberships at your own cost!)

You might as well ask for a work experience assessment at the same time as the skills assessment but it is based on their opinion only so not necessarily what will be decided by DIAC.

I can't comment on the employment question as I'm still in the UK, but from what I've read, I don't think there's too much difference to be honest especially with multinational companies.

Hope this helps.

Yes, we tend to suggest CPA for CIMA applicants because of the reciprocal arrangement between the two - becoming a member of an Aus accounting body can help with employment prospects.

Remember that you can usually claim a tax deduction on your Aus tax return for membership of a professional body such as the CPA. Probably also for CIMA membership subs too.

Best regards.

Remember that you can usually claim a tax deduction on your Aus tax return for membership of a professional body such as the CPA. Probably also for CIMA membership subs too.

Best regards.

Oooh, I didn't know that! That's great news! :smile:

Katiem, Andy thank you for the reply. I thought it would have been ICAA so i'm glad I checked! Very useful to know about the tax deduction too.

No doubt i will have many more questions over the comming weeks but this should get me started. Thanks again.

Back with a question already. In the points assessment you get 15 points if you have worked 8 of the last 10 in your nominated occupation. I was working while studying for my exams, can this time be included? I started employment as a graduate accountant in 2004 whilst doing my CIMA studies, passed all my exams by 2007 and was accepted as a CIMA accociate in 2008. Can I count the full 8 years from 2004 or just the 4 years from 2008?

Thanks

Tony

Back with a question already. In the points assessment you get 15 points if you have worked 8 of the last 10 in your nominated occupation. I was working while studying for my exams, can this time be included? I started employment as a graduate accountant in 2004 whilst doing my CIMA studies, passed all my exams by 2007 and was accepted as a CIMA accociate in 2008. Can I count the full 8 years from 2004 or just the 4 years from 2008?

Thanks

Tony

As I know you can count the work expereince once you become a passed finalist only. In your case from 2007 onwards.

Please refer the below link.

http://www.cpaaustralia.com.au/cps/rde/xchg/cpa-site/hs.xsl/become-started-affiliations-international-affiliations-cima.html

Thanks

Tony

A question in reply to your question: what is your visa strategy? How many years of skilled work experience do you need?

Best regards.

Guest Kamal Verma

hello frndz

i want to apply 189 visa sub class

my query is that i am having Australian diploma and certificate from assessing authority related to my job as a ship's officer which is listed in SOL.

so i will get 10 points for my diploma and another 10 points for attaining certificate from my assessing authority or not in point test.

please help me out guys in this matter.

thanks

hello frndz

i want to apply 189 visa sub class

my query is that i am having Australian diploma and certificate from assessing authority related to my job as a ship's officer which is listed in SOL.

so i will get 10 points for my diploma and another 10 points for attaining certificate from my assessing authority or not in point test.

please help me out guys in this matter.

thanks

Relevance to this thread ...? :huh:

I plan on the 189 or 190.

I know that CPA will assess work experience once qualified only. However on DIAC points assessment for overseas employment it it says 'you have been employed outside Australia in your nominated skilled occupation or a closely related skilled occupation, for a period of totalling at least 96months' =15points.

i have been employed for over 10 years in my skilled occupation but only qualified for 4.5 years.

thanks

As I know you can count the work expereince once you become a passed finalist only. In your case from 2007 onwards.

Please refer the below link.

http://www.cpaaustralia.com.au/cps/rde/xchg/cpa-site/hs.xsl/become-started-affiliations-international-affiliations-cima.html

I know that CPA will assess work experience once qualified only. However on DIAC points assessment for overseas employment it it says 'you have been employed outside Australia in your nominated skilled occupation or a closely related skilled occupation, for a period of totalling at least 96months' =15points.

i have been employed for over 10 years in my skilled occupation but only qualified for 4.5 years.

thanks

Relevance to this thread ...? :huh:

Andy, just to be clear this was a reply to your question

I plan on the 189 or 190.

thanks

Thanks

Tony

Hi Tony

If you have a degree in accounting you can claim points from 2004, which is when you started work at a skilled level after graduating. That also depends on whether you meet the nine core subjects requirement by CPA in your first degree. CPA can assess both your 1st degree, your CIMA and of course your work experience. So from what I gather you can claim 15 points for 8 years for work experience.

Hi Tony

If you have a degree in accounting you can claim points from 2004, which is when you started work at a skilled level after graduating. That also depends on whether you meet the nine core subjects requirement by CPA in your first degree. CPA can assess both your 1st degree, your CIMA and of course your work experience. So from what I gather you can claim 15 points for 8 years for work experience.

My degree is in mathematics & statisics so i dont think CPA will accept that. However i'm hoping that as i was doing accountancy related work while studying CIMA DIAC will accept this in their count of overseas employment as it was related to my skill.

Thanks

I had my work history assessed by CPA and they validated it from starting my first job in finance - so I have 6 years instead of 2 since qualifying. I have a degree in Maths & Comp. Sci so was not expecting this at all, I wonder if the degree counts as a basic entry requirement to work as a 'skilled' person... However I have heard that regardless of what the assessor says you can't take it as gospel as the DIAC will not necessarily agree with the outcome anyway.

I had my work history assessed by CPA and they validated it from starting my first job in finance - so I have 6 years instead of 2 since qualifying. I have a degree in Maths & Comp. Sci so was not expecting this at all, I wonder if the degree counts as a basic entry requirement to work as a 'skilled' person... However I have heard that regardless of what the assessor says you can't take it as gospel as the DIAC will not necessarily agree with the outcome anyway.

thanks. Useful to know. Can i ask if you applied for your 175 visa with the 6 years skilled experience?

• 1 month later...

i would like to join this thread. i am starting my aus immi process this week.. did lot of research but totally confused. i have b.com, m.com, icwa(inter) as my qualification with ard 8+yrs exp ..should i nominate accountant as a occupation or internal auditor .bec people say only professionals would get positive result in IPA/CPA/CA aust skill assessment. This website seems to be very helpful and have seen many people have shared their views as well. so please guide me

i would like to join this thread. i am starting my aus immi process this week.. did lot of research but totally confused. i have b.com, m.com, icwa(inter) as my qualification with ard 8+yrs exp ..should i nominate accountant as a occupation or internal auditor .bec people say only professionals would get positive result in IPA/CPA/CA aust skill assessment. This website seems to be very helpful and have seen many people have shared their views as well. so please guide me

There is no simple answer to your question, as posed. Your best strategy would depend on the which institution conferred your degree, the content of it and the particulars of your work experience and your English language test score. Last week I was consulted by three DIY applicants who wasted money and bogged themselves down by applying for skills assessments that had no prospects of success and/or had work experience issues. I advised two how to fix their issues and I am waiting to hear from the third one. May I suggest you consult a registered migration agent for advice about strategy? The RMAs who regularly post on this forum are OK.

• 3 months later...

Hi ,

i too have a question which is similar to what raised by Morana. I am a
CIMA
Passed Finalist.

My question is i have not yet applied for ACMA though i have 4+ years experinence. i started work in 2008 and became a passed finalist in 2009. i have a bachlors degree in Mgt & IT.

1. Can i apply for the skill assessment as a CIMA passed finalist?

2. Can i claim my experience since i have not yet applied for ACMA?

3. When will the experience be cpounted? Is it at the time of applying for skill assessment or is it at the time of lodging the EOI ?

Thanks in advance

Krish,

I would ring up the CPA offices, i spoke to the london office and found them very helpful. You need to have covered 9 of the 12 core areas (detailed on the CPA website) to get your skills assessed, not sure if you need to have officially become ACMA though.

In terms of experience CPA counted my experience from when i passed the strategic level of the exams, however when applying for my visa i only claimed from when i became ACMA as the dept of immi have their own rules on when you can claim experience from and i didnt want to risk mis-claiming.

i believe they will take your experience from the time you submit your EOI as that is what generates your points score. once invited to apply for a visa you have to submit the evidence that supports your points claim in the EOI.

Goodluck

Hi, Question from my wife, she is a fellow of ACCA (FCCA), who would be the best institution for her to get her skills assessed with? She passed her degree in accountancy in 2000, and qualified fully into ACCA in 2004. FCCA in 2009.

All advice gratefully received as we are at the start of our visa adventure, and the only thing we have decided so far, is who skill to use, Hers $500, mine $3600!!!

Hi, Question from my wife, she is a fellow of ACCA (FCCA), who would be the best institution for her to get her skills assessed with? She passed her degree in accountancy in 2000, and qualified fully into ACCA in 2004. FCCA in 2009.

All advice gratefully received as we are at the start of our visa adventure, and the only thing we have decided so far, is who skill to use, Hers $500, mine $3600!!!

Jim Bugg,

She can get her skills assessed by either CPA or ICAA.

Have a look on the websites for each, CPA says it reconises ACCA as an overseas body. ICAA says it partially reconises ACCA. Based on this I think CPA would be better and its cheaper! I had my CIMA assessed through CPA - they were very helpful and it was straight forward, it took them two to three weeks to do my assessment once they recieved my documents.

Goodluck

I suggest you remove your digit. You are likely to find accounting-related occupations removed from the SOL.

Archived