Moved to Aus, Came back, thinking of going again! Help!

Emmylou

I must have been insane to go back to UK just the worst decision ever.

So you went back to OZ on your own then hoping family would follow? Did you move everything back to UK for a year and who's decision was that? Sorry to pry but I made decision to go back to UK having nagged my missis for years to leave UK in the first place. Now having been back for 2 years I dream of going back but wife will not put everyone else through it again. I try to convince myself if I just go she will follow or end in divorce. Which do I want the most? :unsure: I definitely got issues. I sometimes wish I never went in the first place, even though people tell you you would regret it if you never tried, because I can compare now and know what I am missing.

You only live once, and you can do it again if that's what you really want. I'm been here on my own for the past 6 months, wife is talking about splitting up rather than coming back. I can understand her feelings, like you I wanted to come back to UK for ages, but finally settled in Oz near the end.

There is nothing I miss about the UK, zero. This proves that I am in the right place for me, whether that is what the family also wants, only time will tell.

I had homesickness probably for a good 3 years. Finally settled in Brisbane bayside, mostly seeing my children progress and be happy has helped along with good friendships that I have made. One of whom has been like a brother and treated me better than my old pals in England. I summarize the difference between Australia and England this way. In Australia you have an escape, many outlets to get away from work. The vast choice of things to do, so many places to explore, bush walks amazing beaches, sports, bbqs with friends etc. In England you don't have that same choice, shopping pubs and going down the football was my life in England, stuck indoors a lot. You do have family but they get annoying and you get the arguments and fall outs. I feel far enough away not to get involved in family politics and get on better from afar via email and skype. My wife is in the uk at moment. She went to London on a coach and some youths was talking really vulgar about 'fisting' really loudly. My wife felt embarrassed and eventually a guy went up to them gave them a touch up. Also she was up blackpool to take our daughter to the lights and a brawl broke out. I fly back Friday night and yesterday had a panic attack started throwing up. I hate England for the country is immoral I have seen awful things there before I moved to oz. The burglaries and trouble at night getting woken by police helicopters chasing trouble makers, getting junkie needles thrown into my back yard where my 2 year old son was playing, walking thru town to see a teenager have a poo in front of this bakery for a laugh, the youth that tossed a coke can at my feet walking down a road, feeling unsafe walking on the streets at dark, and the stale smelly air. England has left it's mark on me. I am terrified of making just this visit to see family and after all that's happens over there with the riots I am a bag of nerves.

Well...if you insist on going to West Brom....

I want to add I am 110% over homesickness. My homesickness now is 110% for Australia I goddam love it here and 3 week visit to England I am dreading my visit which is only because my father is in hospital with the big C. So it's a visit that I have to make. But really i can t wait to come home to Brisbane. I am an Aussie citizen and it's says Australian on my passport. That is where my loyalty lies now firmly with Australia. Not broken Britain whom I have divorced.

I feel so sorry for you- you sound as if you ran away from something and are scared to go back and face it, there is good and bad every were you need to start thinking outside the box.!!!!

:arghh:

I want to add I am 110% over homesickness. My homesickness now is 110% for Australia I goddam love it here and 3 week visit to England I am dreading my visit which is only because my father is in hospital with the big C. So it's a visit that I have to make. But really i can t wait to come home to Brisbane. I am an Aussie citizen and it's says Australian on my passport. That is where my loyalty lies now firmly with Australia. Not broken Britain whom I have divorced.[/QUote

What are you scared of - you get the same things happening in OZ I read the newspapers on line from OZ and the things that go on are the same the world over, same sxxt different country.!!!!!

I know what you mean, I spent a year in UK and absolutely loathed it. Totally missed my life in Australia, house, beach, parks, BBQ, everything seemed alien in UK, just terrible.

Back in Aus now but things are different, can't seem to fix things. Wife and kids are in UK and don't want to come back. Just don't understand it

It's because not everyone likes Australia, it ain't rocket science.

Guest chris955
I feel so sorry for you- you sound as if you ran away from something and are scared to go back and face it, there is good and bad every were you need to start thinking outside the box.!!!!

Yes exactly my thoughts, when someone protests quite as much as the OP there is often something much more serious underneath and is probably nothing to do with the country or he is just the unluckiest person in the UK judging by the things he has witnessed and experienced.

• 2 weeks later...
You obviously did not like oz or you would no ave returned, you can always go back but nothing has changed and you will probably dislike it again.

I did like Oz but I moaned about it cause I was that way inclined. Did I want to leave near the end ? No, it was something that we both conned ourselves into. Leaving a country could make us happy when it had the opposite effect.

Archived