Dreaded IELTS

rickjoann

Guest scrumpy

Good luck, Im doing my third this sat in Exeter, but have always done ALL the modules on the same day. Im sure it would be the same for you guys

Guest scrumpy
Guys, Imsat it three times and on the third attempt I got the 8's I required. So don't give up hope and if you really want it you can do it just practise, practise and practise. Good luck.

I have practiced, practiced, practiced and practiced. The reading and listening are not a problem as Q & As are on internet, but how do you get the speaking and writing marked to an IELTS standard? It all looks good to my family but obviously not IELTS twice before. Im after 8s

Cheers

Guest scrumpy
Scrumpy, what do you mean the answers are on the internet? :)

Col

NOT THE ANSWERS FOR THE TEST YOU ARE ABOUT TO TAKE!!!!!

There are plenty of past IELT questions on the internet, the L & R have specific answers so they can be given to you, however the W & S answers although model answers are sometimes given its not ever going to be the same answer as what you have just done.

Have a look at the links below, there are many other sites with free revision and also instructers on YOU TUBE, as with everythin on net, some are really helpful and others are complete rubbish

http://www.ielts-exam.net/index.php

http://www.ielts.org/test_takers_information/test_sample/general_training_-_writing.aspx

Oh, I thought you meant they just re use the same sets of various questions for the R and L. these are the ones I'm struggling with... especially reading for some strange reason.....

Does anyone know if they mark you down for layout in the writing? Like starting a new paragraph with an indent?

Thanks

Col

I have practiced, practiced, practiced and practiced. The reading and listening are not a problem as Q & As are on internet, but how do you get the speaking and writing marked to an IELTS standard? It all looks good to my family but obviously not IELTS twice before. Im after 8s

Cheers

With the speaking you must remember not to use slang and try to vary the words you use, don't always you the same words or phrases. They are looking to see if you have a good vocabulary. The writing is the one I had trouble with on my first attempt, however, after reading the IELTS writing book I got 8's on my next two tests.

With the writing you must remember to structure your essay with an introduction, an argument for and against and then a conclusion which can be your opinion. Try to link your sentences with different words rather than 'and'. Hope it helps. Good luck for tomorrow.

Oh, I thought you meant they just re use the same sets of various questions for the R and L. these are the ones I'm struggling with... especially reading for some strange reason.....

Does anyone know if they mark you down for layout in the writing? Like starting a new paragraph with an indent?

Thanks

Col

Not sure about the actual layout concerning indents, but using proper paragraphs and improve the overall readability seems to be a factor. Even if it is not a formal factor, my best guess would be that a good looking letter is automatically judged as higher quality than a slumsy one. It is all about perception :)

Edit: Although the valur of my answer should be taken lightly. I only did the test once and only had a 6.5 for writing.. :)

Guest scrumpy

Well to everyone who took the IELTS today (25/8/12) GOOD LUCK just 13 days to wait, I think as it goes it was not to bad (3rd time!!!) I struggled with the last of the listening, damn you geneticists!!!!!

Guest MatJayJay

Ha Ha, sat mine in York for first time today and have to admit everyone seemed to be cursing the geneticists! Fingers crossed and as you said, good luck to everyone else who is awaiting results.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest MatJayJay

It looks like the preliminary results are up for those who sat on the 25/08/12.

I have straight 9's with an overall 9 so all's gravy!

Just trying to sort out my bits n bobs for professional registration now... Hopefully things will fall in to place, aiming around a year. Gives me time to get myself in order (not that I've managed in 40 years!!)

Archived