What's the best way for family to send small amounts of money (birthday gifts etc)?

Goochie

Had a chat with my parents last night and they were asking what the best way is for them to send money to us for birthday and Christmas presents etc.? I’ve moved a few thousand through a Forex company and know you can do a bank transfer, but the fees for moving a couple of hundred pounds are a little high.

Do you know of a more efficient way to move small sums?

We kept a bank account open in England. Relatives have paid money into that for the children's presents. We then use the equivalent amount of dollars for gifts over here. The money stays in the English bank and we will use it when we are on trips back to the uk, or for buying presents in the uK from ebay, amazon etc for UK friends and family.

We have recently started to use Moneygram. It is done through the post office in uk and can be collected from Moneygram outlets here. Aus post outlets and some 7/11 shops have Moneygram machines. You can choose who pays the commission and is available within half an hour of being sent

We haven't actually tested the theory yet but oh has researched it and Paypal seems to be a great way of sending smaller sums of money over. Obviously both parties need a PayPal account. We have set this up with one set of parents and tested it before we left the uk- it worked! Think if I remember correctly the fee is worked out on a percentage rate... But research it first as a bit hazy on it! Good luck x

I know you said you weren't going to keep an account open it the Uk but I can really recommend it - helps so much with birthdays/Christmas or when you want to buy something online from the UK etc. I use the Uk a/c when I go back on holiday and don't have to worry about changing dollars. It gathers a bit of interest and you don't waste money on currency exchange.

I know you said you weren't going to keep an account open it the Uk but I can really recommend it - helps so much with birthdays/Christmas or when you want to buy something online from the UK etc. I use the Uk a/c when I go back on holiday and don't have to worry about changing dollars. It gathers a bit of interest and you don't waste money on currency exchange.

I totally agree with this. Makes life so much easier for ordering presents for family and friends in the UK and so on. And as has been said, family can pay into that for birthdays etc in Aus but you can leave it there and use it for UK stuff. Very handy thing to keep open.

Yep, I agree with keeping a uk bank account open, you never know when you might need it and you will find it hard to open again if you are in Oz!

My brother uses the paypal route for smaller sums.

Although our family tend to send cash in the post in card - although I think this is the older generation for you. My grandma posted me £20 - useful in Australia!! :err:

We haven't actually tested the theory yet but oh has researched it and Paypal seems to be a great way of sending smaller sums of money over. Obviously both parties need a PayPal account. We have set this up with one set of parents and tested it before we left the uk- it worked! Think if I remember correctly the fee is worked out on a percentage rate... But research it first as a bit hazy on it! Good luck x

If you both have a paypal account and are sending it as a gift there is no fee for sender (none in the UK unless the rules are different there). You will pay fees if you draw it down to your account though.

I keep the money in the account and use if to pay for things so avoid charges.

Archived