Academic Vs. General IELTS Confusion

spiritstallion

Dear all,

The DIAC Website states the following :

" IELTS has an academic test and a general training test. Unless you are required to do otherwise by your assessing authority you only need to take the general training test"

my assesssing authority "Engineers Australia" gives you the choice whether to take Academic or General and apply with it.

now the problem is from the DIAC statement i can`t get it 100% clear so, in my case if i did the academic "I need for many reasons" which is abit easier for me to score higher and it will help me if i wanted to enlist in any college for any kind of education, will that be wrong? or what please clarify this point since i`m so confused and about to take the test in 1 month

best regards,

Nabil

now the problem is from the DIAC statement i can`t get it 100% clear so, in my case if i did the academic "I need for many reasons" which is abit easier for me to score higher and it will help me if i wanted to enlist in any college for any kind of education, will that be wrong?

They are both valid in relation to DIAC.

My partner did the Academic because of her profession and with the idea it may help if she applied to doi a Phd in Australia.

They are both very similar, the speaking and listening I believe is the same in both exams.

To be honest I dont think the adademic exam is that much more difficult than the general....though my other half did get a higher mark than me in the academic one and english is not her first language, plus i only did the general LOL

:rolleyes:

Thanks for all your replies :)

DIAC & EA only require the General Test. Some Assessing bodies require the Academic test (Nurses, Accountents for example)

thats my point they both need general but DO they accept academic?...... that questrion is my worry since i can score better in academic i`m practicing atm and since i`m a non native speaker i tottaly improved my english self study by lots of scientific reading over the last decade so its easier to score in that reading for me :) and to get 8.0 score in reading you do need a bit less degrees out of 40

The Listening and Speaking sections are exactly the same, the differences are in the Reading and Writing sections.

Keep in mind that the Reading sections, for example, are assessed differently; in other words, 3 mistakes in the General Training Reading section will not probably be a band 8, but it would certainly be in the Academic.

The Academic is more difficult, but it gives you some margin of error.

Archived