Clean tools

biggaf

I'm taking over my hand tools as luggage and was wondering how clean they need to be. I've given them a good rub down with wd40, but can anybody tell me if that's enough? What will they look for?

hey up pal, im doing the same so interested in what you find out, where ya bound, im going to perth

HI ,i have visa as solid plasterer, though i want to lay bricks which is what i do more of over here, the aussis dont understand multi traders.I justgot back from validating my visa in perth and theres tons of work House buildings dead easy they use profiles and build straight off the slab.All the plastering is render backing coat and skm finish so donkey work

I'm taking over my hand tools as luggage and was wondering how clean they need to be. I've given them a good rub down with wd40, but can anybody tell me if that's enough? What will they look for?

Most people have used Jeyes fluid to clean tools! Good luck , hope you don't mind me asking how did you manage to secure a job before you get there ? Hubby is a spark and we are heading out next year , got the visa in July . :biggrin:

3rd of Sept we are off!!! Living with friends while we find a rental. Got a job to go to (electrician) which is a great help.

Hi we stayed up in joondalup, we liked it beter than the south but every ones different.Yourlucky to have friends to stay with, there are plenty o scare stories for te rental market, best o luck

Just got a job as a hgv mechanic in queensland, I have loads of tools I need to ship over so will be keen to find out what's said, visa nearly complete so hopefully be there soon :)

hey well done, is this your first post, if so welcome. must say i fancy brisbane, perth is mega expensive

Guest gibbon83
HI ,i have visa as solid plasterer, though i want to lay bricks which is what i do more of over here, the aussis dont understand multi traders.I justgot back from validating my visa in perth and theres tons of work House buildings dead easy they use profiles and build straight off the slab.All the plastering is render backing coat and skm finish so donkey work

Hi,

I am going to WA on a working holiday visa jan 2013. Was just wondering if you could tell me about the visa process. I'm pretty sure I will want to move to oz permanently as I want out of the UK and love sun, and laid back lifestyle etc. I just want to know how strict they are on the skills assessment. Age is on my side and the Ielts test shouldn't be a problem but I'm worried about the skills assessment. I have nvq levels 1 and 2 in bricklaying so I'm fully qualified but only have about 2 years experience and no site experience as I've always worked on private properties. I am also a multi-trader and have mainly done groundworks (flagging,brickwork,foundations, etc). Any help would be great.

Cheers,

Ian.

Hi,

I am going to WA on a working holiday visa jan 2013. Was just wondering if you could tell me about the visa process. I'm pretty sure I will want to move to oz permanently as I want out of the UK and love sun, and laid back lifestyle etc. I just want to know how strict they are on the skills assessment. Age is on my side and the Ielts test shouldn't be a problem but I'm worried about the skills assessment. I have nvq levels 1 and 2 in bricklaying so I'm fully qualified but only have about 2 years experience and no site experience as I've always worked on private properties. I am also a multi-trader and have mainly done groundworks (flagging,brickwork,foundations, etc). Any help would be great.

Cheers,

Ian.

Right , first dont mention the multi trader word , they are puzzled by the while concept.Only tell them what trade it is you do.Keep as much photo evidence as possible,keep all advertizing receipts,purchase receipts, references are important.Basically keep as much evidence to support your case, any building trade accounts are helpful. Dont worry about assesment its no probs.You can use an agent if you wish but all the info is on here good luck, PS my cost has been about 5000,for a family of four

I was lucky enough to get a job before moving so i am being sponsored for my 457 visa, so basically as long as I haven got a criminal record (which I haven't) there shouldn't be any problems, my application started about 2 weeks and according to the recruitment teaming child be finished by the end of the week

Guest gibbon83
Right , first dont mention the multi trader word , they are puzzled by the while concept.Only tell them what trade it is you do.Keep as much photo evidence as possible,keep all advertizing receipts,purchase receipts, references are important.Basically keep as much evidence to support your case, any building trade accounts are helpful. Dont worry about assesment its no probs.You can use an agent if you wish but all the info is on here good luck, PS my cost has been about 5000,for a family of four

Yes I've heard they only do single trades ha. I got lots of recipts, and evidence. What sort of interview do they give you in the self assessment? I'll prob go without an agent as I'm pretty good at doing my research and dealing with these sort of things. I believe for myself it'll prob cost around 2k. Thanks for the advice anyway.

cheers,

Ian.

Hey mate,good to know theres still plenty of work out there,heard a few rumours about it slowing down but cant be anything compared to the u.k. what sort of dosh are tradies earning out there ? we are hoping to go out in november ,when you heading back out for good?

Hi guys,

sorry to jump in on your post.

im a plumber ( sorry I know we're top of the trade tree)!!!!! Is it easy to take hand tools as luggage , do you have a suitcase just for them or are you using air freight

moving to Perth early next year not sure if north or south yet .

so many decisions with kids, schools etc . Hopefully find a job!!!

do you guys have to do a gap training course and get a licence , there's so much red tape for plumbers ( probably sparks ) as well

Cheers

Ian

Hi guys,

sorry to jump in on your post.

im a plumber ( sorry I know we're top of the trade tree)!!!!! Is it easy to take hand tools as luggage , do you have a suitcase just for them or are you using air freight

moving to Perth early next year not sure if north or south yet .

so many decisions with kids, schools etc . Hopefully find a job!!!

do you guys have to do a gap training course and get a licence , there's so much red tape for plumbers ( probably sparks ) as well

Cheers

Ian

Hi Ian

Yes loads of red tape for my OH to get through to get his licence when we get there....was only a 2 week course but has now changed to 1 year gap training on a restricted licence :mad: .... Can't answer the question about tools in hand lugggage ,I know other s have sent them as freight and most people have used Jeyes fluid for cleaning on other threads . We are looking to go may/June 2013 pending house sale so same as u checking out rentals and schools etc....

Good luck!

My husband is a spark. He brought over all his tools in his toolbox(large roll on one). We had double baggage with singapore so it was part of our allowance (check maximum weight for each individual item) He cleaned them all with jeyes fluid, dried them and the wd40 to prevent rusting. Got to quarantine and they didn't even open the tool box. They asked us what we had and how we had cleaned them. also had a drill in one of the suitcases, again didn't check it. Make sure you do dry them off very well, some of his stuff did get a little rusty but did clean up ok. Good luck with the move. Oh if you have double baggage, make sure you take a copy of the email confirming it. They tried to charge us for 79kg of extra baggage, I nearly passed out but I had taken the print out so all weas ok. Hope this helps.

Archived