Medicare and Dental work

bubbe2005

So from what I understand from reading on the Medicare website is that dental work is not covered.

So in that case, can anyone suggest a dental coverage plan for and infant/toddler?

I am currently paying $158 for my DD medical and dental and I'm only looking for a dental coverage only plan - if this exists?!

Guest claireanddom

don't know if this is much help but my fam live in gold coast - kids get free check up every 2 years. that's all i know!

In Canberra there is ACT Child and Youth dental for children under 14 so they have access to free checkups and subsidised treatment if required. I just looked up the info for a friend actually, by coincidence, so here is the link for anyone who is interested in the ACT. I'd imagine there may be similiar or equivalent in other states if you google.

http://health.act.gov.au/health-services/community-health/community-health-services/dental/child-and-youth-dental

As for dental coverage, that would be an in the extras on a private health insurance scheme. So you could choose to get dental only cover and not bother with the other extras I guess, although you'd want ambulance cover unless in Qld. You'd need to talk to the providers and get quotes.

In Canberra there is ACT Child and Youth dental for children under 14 so they have access to free checkups and subsidised treatment if required. I just looked up the info for a friend actually, by coincidence, so here is the link for anyone who is interested in the ACT. I'd imagine there may be similiar or equivalent in other states if you google.

http://health.act.gov.au/health-services/community-health/community-health-services/dental/child-and-youth-dental

As for dental coverage, that would be an in the extras on a private health insurance scheme. So you could choose to get dental only cover and not bother with the other extras I guess, although you'd want ambulance cover unless in Qld. You'd need to talk to the providers and get quotes.

UK NHS covers ambulance services, so medicare in OZ is very much different if they don't cover ambulance services.

Here in the US, my OH fainted when working for a removal/moving company and he had not eaten anything in the morning and working in the Texas heat, got to him! so he collapsed, his co-workers called the ambulance for him, my OH got charged $100 for the ambulance to come even though he wasn't the one who called the ambulance!!!!! Ain't that some American POS!!!

UK NHS covers ambulance services, so medicare in OZ is very much different if they don't cover ambulance services.

Here in the US, my OH fainted when working for a removal/moving company and he had not eaten anything in the morning and working in the Texas heat, got to him! so he collapsed, his co-workers called the ambulance for him, my OH got charged $100 for the ambulance to come even though he wasn't the one who called the ambulance!!!!! Ain't that some American POS!!!

:wideeyed: Medicare in Australia is nothing like the NHS at all and no, it doesn't cover ambulance services.

I know if you are a Queensland resident you are covered for use of ambulances (I think anywhere in Australia?) and the cost is covered by the state. However, this varies from state to state and you would need to check in the state you are living in to find out what the system is. In ACT you either take out ambulance cover with a private insurer or you get billed and pay if you use an ambulance. It's possible to get an Ambulance only cover though so not a big hassle.

ETA - just had a quick look at some of your other posts and you are aiming to go to SA?

This is the info for South Australia FYI

http://www.saambulance.com.au/ProductsServices/AmbulanceCover.aspx

We're in VIC - with medicare only and ambulance cover. My kids use the subsidised dental scheme. Free if you have a health card (we don't) else it is $30 for check up and everything arising from that checkup incl x rays/extractions/fillings etc. Think it applies up Prep to grade 6 and birth to age 5.

Only know about it by seeing a poster on wall outside kinder!

can anybody help? surely after 125 reads?

Many things in Australia vary from state to state so it is difficult to help unless you mention which state you are interested in.

I think most states offer free or subsidised dental care for school age children.

Ambulance charges also vary between states: Tasmania and Queensland free; I think all the other states charge. Also private medical insurance premiums can vary between states, even within the one insurer

Archived