Student suing Geelong Grammar

Guest The Pom Queen

Guest The Pom Queen

Oh come on really:goofy: I hope it gets laughed out of court. If they win how many other students are going to jump on this bandwagon.

A GIRL suing Geelong Grammar for allegedly failing to teach her to a required standard was warned about not attending some classes and that she "lacked discipline", a tribunal heard yesterday.

Rose Ashton-Weir and her mother, Elizabeth Weir, claim the prestigious school breached its obligation to teach Ms Ashton-Weir to the standard required to be accepted into her chosen law degree.

The pair yesterday launched a law suit in the Victorian Civil and Administrative Appeals Tribunal against the top private school after Ms Ashton-Weir, now 18, failed to win enrolment in law at the University of Sydney.

She claims Geelong Grammar failed to ensure she was adequately taught and managed in her studies.

The student was a year 9 boarder in 2008 at the school's Timbertop campus in Mansfield, but suffered glandular fever and left the school the following year.

It is believed Mrs Weir and her daughter are seeking compensation for the significant school fees charged and costs associated with relocation.

Although Ms Ashton-Weir achieved a high standard in English and some other subjects, she struggled with maths. Her mother yesterday raised questions about why the school was unable to lift her scores.

Timbertop campus head Roger Herbert told the hearing concerns were raised several times about Ms Ashton-Weir's application to study, failure to attend class and meals, and her disorganisation, citing a report that highlighted problems with effort.

"To me that indicates just your effort ... doing homework, being engaged in class, being attentive," he said.

On a scale of one to five, with one being "brilliant" at effort in studies, Ms Ashton-Weir scored a four in one report, the tribunal heard.

When she got an E in maths, Mr Herbert said Ms Ashton-Weir would have been told to be better prepared and organised as she moved through years 10 to 12.

"I still had concerns about her ability to self-manage," he said.

Having completed her secondary studies at a Sydney TAFE, Ms Ashton-Weir was studying a double degree in arts and sciences.

Guest The Pom Queen

After 4 years you think they would drop it, if she was such a good student then surely she could have put her time and efforts in to studying towards this law degree.

Guest Shell15

Makes me laugh when parents blame the school when in reality the downfall of there own childs education is down to the parents thinking the school is solely responsible for there childs education!! I remember one parent at my sons school giving the teacher a right mouthful because her sons reading was not at the level he should have been for his age!! I asked her whether she did any reading with him at home and she said 'No! Im busy most evenings...and i dont think i should have too..!

Makes me laugh when parents blame the school when in reality the downfall of there own childs education is down to the parents thinking the school is solely responsible for there childs education!! I remember one parent at my sons school giving the teacher a right mouthful because her sons reading was not at the level he should have been for his age!! I asked her whether she did any reading with him at home and she said 'No! Im busy most evenings...and i dont think i should have too..!

My friend is a teacher and when I had children she told me the best thing I could do for them was to read to them even from the time they were tiny. She said it would lay the foundation that teachers would build on later.

I went to a really poor comprehensive it was closed down shortly after I left, before the days of special measures etc. My older Sister and Brothers also attended the same school. They left with very sparse qualification but all three went on to study, and all have got degrees and one a doctorate. I on the other hand have had to make do with just O levels but the point I am making is that regrettably I did not have the gumption to do something about it whereas my siblings did. I think I should sue my old school. I could have been a Doctor or scientist by now :wink::biglaugh:

My friend is a teacher and when I had children she told me the best thing I could do for them was to read to them even from the time they were tiny. She said it would lay the foundation that teachers would build on later.

As you know my little one has just turned 1. We have read to her since she was a few days old, she loves her books now. She will pick then up and walk over to you and insist that you read it to her. We were going out yesterday afternoon and there is one of her books in the pocket at the back of my car seat. I couldn't even get her strapped into the car seat as she was leaning forward trying to get it. I gave it to her when I had strapped her in and didn't hear from her for the next 15 mins, sitting there happily flicking through the pages.

Some parents think when they send their kids to school that their job educating them is over and it's all up to the teachers.

Guest Shell15

@ Que Sera haha... wait for the outcome of this one and see if you stand a chance. I should sue mine as well lol .. I love stories like that, doesn't matter what school you go to or even how well you performed, you can still make something of yourself! Shows real determination and strenghth of character - something you either have, or you don't! Simple as that really...

p.s. every time I see your profile name I break out in song..lol cant help myself haha

Guest Shell15
As you know my little one has just turned 1. We have read to her since she was a few days old, she loves her books now. She will pick then up and walk over to you and insist that you read it to her. We were going out yesterday afternoon and there is one of her books in the pocket at the back of my car seat. I couldn't even get her strapped into the car seat as she was leaning forward trying to get it. I gave it to her when I had strapped her in and didn't hear from her for the next 15 mins, sitting there happily flicking through the pages.

Some parents think when they send their kids to school that their job educating them is over and it's all up to the teachers.

Our son told us at the age of 3 that he never ever wanted to learn to read because he didn't want us to stop haha Now I read to my oh cause his eyesight is crap lol if its not one its the other.. ;)

Totally agree with this. My mum read to me ..me & OH read to our kids..and now my DD & SIL & us read to theirs. :biggrin:

Both my kids could read before they went to school and continue to be avid readers.

My 15 month is the same he takes himself off to his play corner and takes a book flicks through "reading it to himself" and then once doen comes over and wants either me or his dad to read back to him.

Some parents want to plam off all responsibilty to outside the house why bother having them if the only imput you want is before they attend school!

Guest The Pom Queen

I wonder if, as parents we can sue our children for all the stress and heartache they cause us when we have to nag them to do their homework etc.

Archived