What Do I need to do when we arrive in Oz

derham

Apply for your TFN as soon as you arrive to ensure you avoid emergency tax should you start work quickly.

Other than that, I think everything can wait. Pop into a medicare office when you are passing, sort out medical insurance within then first 12 months to avoid lifetime loading, cahnge over driving licence within 3 months.

Apply for your TFN as soon as you arrive to ensure you avoid emergency tax should you start work quickly.

Other than that, I think everything can wait. Pop into a medicare office when you are passing, sort out medical insurance within then first 12 months to avoid lifetime loading, cahnge over driving licence within 3 months.

Thanks

Defo do TFN first. Hubby has been told it can take up to 28 days so its probably the first thing that needs doing. Go to Medicare in case you need a doctor shortly after you arrive other than that drivers licence, etc can wait. It all takes a lot of money anyway!

Contact an Aus bank from the uk to sort out setting up accounts. make an appointment for soon after you arrive so you can pick up your debit cards and account no etc.

Your excess on your car insurance drops as soon as you get an Oz license. It's not urgent, but worth sorting out. If you are on a foreign license, you have to have your passport as well as your license in the car when you are driving, otherwise they can fine you.

You can sort out medical insurance from the UK before you come so ambulance cover etc is in place.

Contact an Aus bank from the uk to sort out setting up accounts. make an appointment for soon after you arrive so you can pick up your debit cards and account no etc.

Your excess on your car insurance drops as soon as you get an Oz license. It's not urgent, but worth sorting out. If you are on a foreign license, you have to have your passport as well as your license in the car when you are driving, otherwise they can fine you.

You can sort out medical insurance from the UK before you come so ambulance cover etc is in place.

Hello

Might be a silly question but Can you get an oz licence if you go for a reccie for a month or two and then move over permenent a few months later.

Thanks

Dave & Carmel

I doubt it. You have to jump through hoops to get your license. They require several different forms of i.d. from certain different categories and it takes a while to get it all together. One of the things for instance is a bill or bank statement with your name and aussie address on. You need proof of your residency status/ visa. this is the id list for WA.

http://www.transport.wa.gov.au/mediaFiles/LBU_FS_POIExamples.pdf

Guest lisa crowe

We went to change our driving licence's over and where told we didn't need to! The woman at the RTA said you have 3 months to change from getting a PR visa, we can drive on our British ones untill then (we're in NSW so don't know if that only applys here?!)

We went to change our driving licence's over and where told we didn't need to! The woman at the RTA said you have 3 months to change from getting a PR visa, we can drive on our British ones untill then (we're in NSW so don't know if that only applys here?!)

You don't need it, but it can be very useful as a form of id, especially as it has your photo on it.

Guest lisa crowe
You don't need it, but it can be very useful as a form of id, especially as it has your photo on it.

True, didn't even think of that lol Do'h

Archived