what to pack in suitcase, ship, use for now/ - how do you get it right!?

I am stressing about how to pack. I really can't get my head around it: how do you decide what goes in suitcase to the weight allowance but more importantly at what point pre shipping do you do this as it must be struggle to get the balance right versus the need to use things!

Guest Steve and Paula

I am stressing about the exact same thing right now! The movers come on Thursday and I'm trying to figure out what to put in the suitcases for a family of 4 knowing we'll need warmer clothes for winter. UGH!! My husband says no need to stress since they have stores in Oz but when we have all the clothes here for the kids I would hate to have to buy clothes there for them. I think I just need to start throwing things in suitcases and see where we end up. Good luck with packing, I know I need it! :)

Paula

I've been pondering the same. Think I will pack our suitcases before the shippers come, that way they won't inadvertently pack away essentials.

Heres what I think are essentials.

1. A few pots and pans-- just to get by.

2. At least one duvet. A few sheets. And towels.

3. Swim wear for the whole family.

4 Light jackets for all -- probably wear them so they won't be part of the weight allowance but pack it so shippers don't take them.

5. Electronics - phones, laptop/ iPad, chargers etc.

6. Essential documents, certificates etc.

7. At least 5 - 8 sets of clothes each for each member-- more if there is space.

8. Shoes to wear on day of travel -- the bulkier ones and another set of lighter ones in luggage.

9. Essential toys, colours etc.

10. Essential toiletries-- toothbrushes, chargers, paste, shampoo, soap etc.

Guest jeffner1974

when you figure it out let me know!! our packers come in on tiuesday and i'm just chasing my tail getting nowhere fast!!

but have basically packed our cases with 2 weeks worth of clothes shoes a couple of jumpers and our waterproofs (we are in the uk summer time after all) we have all the shoes that are staying with on on our travels in a holdall to be divided into the correct suitcase before we leave. we have a box with all the toiletries in it that are staying,(these will be narrowed down before we laeve too- we still have 4 weeks till we go) have kept some some air beds/camp chairs/and the old kithcen table that wouldn't make it through customs lol! some mugs and an old kettle, everything else is going. we have begged and borrowed of our neighbours/ family for anything else we may need.

we have an air freight that should be there around the same time as us so have put pots pans, crockery ect in that

heid is birrling with the whole thing, just keep telling myself it'll all be worth it x

I've been pondering the same. Think I will pack our suitcases before the shippers come, that way they won't inadvertently pack away essentials.

Heres what I think are essentials.

1. A few pots and pans-- just to get by.

2. At least one duvet. A few sheets. And towels.

3. Swim wear for the whole family.

4 Light jackets for all -- probably wear them so they won't be part of the weight allowance but pack it so shippers don't take them.

5. Electronics - phones, laptop/ iPad, chargers etc.

6. Essential documents, certificates etc.

7. At least 5 - 8 sets of clothes each for each member-- more if there is space.

8. Shoes to wear on day of travel -- the bulkier ones and another set of lighter ones in luggage.

9. Essential toys, colours etc.

10. Essential toiletries-- toothbrushes, chargers, paste, shampoo, soap etc.

We didn't pack pots and pans and duvets etc, just shipped them all. If you're going to be in temporary accomodation until your stuff arrives then it's all good. Plus you can buy a cheap set in Target etc if needs be - or 2nd hand from a garage sale or op shop :)

heid is birrling with the whole thing, just keep telling myself it'll all be worth it x

Me tae.

The packers are due here a week on Wednesday and in two weeks' time we will be aboard our 'plane well on our way back to Aus... ans I am still at the walking round, room to room, staring stage, thinking what should I be doing....

Guest Levimouse

I have just started thinking about this but more from a budgeting point of view.

I have just made a list of all household items we will need in Oz and tried to find the cheapest in Harvey Norman and Ikea.

So far I am up to £3.5k and haven't even done the little things, like crockery, pots, pans, curtains etc.

What do people do if they ship everything over and have to wait for 3months? Do people tend to get fully furnished rentals until their container arrives?

We're not sure whether to ship everything (don't own much) or try and sell as much as possible before we go and buy new! We'll be low on cash as it is so don't want to spend more than a container would cost anyway.

We didn't pack pots and pans and duvets etc, just shipped them all. If you're going to be in temporary accomodation until your stuff arrives then it's all good. Plus you can buy a cheap set in Target etc if needs be - or 2nd hand from a garage sale or op shop :)

We def. will be in temp accomodation until we find a suitable longer term rental and stuff arrives. Already sent over a set of saucepans and an airbed with Oh when he went to sort his APHRA out.--This is just in case our temp accn doesn't have them or if we move to unfurnished before stuff arrives. I hate buying cheap stuff just to tide by as its going to end up being a space occupying lesion. Planning on buying a large bed once there so taking my new Superking size duvet with me!:wink:.Good thing is it doesnt weigh much--got some light but fluffy ones from Dunelm mills the other day!

Actually quite surprised at how duvets weigh far less nowadays.

I have just started thinking about this but more from a budgeting point of view.

I have just made a list of all household items we will need in Oz and tried to find the cheapest in Harvey Norman and Ikea.

So far I am up to £3.5k and haven't even done the little things, like crockery, pots, pans, curtains etc.

What do people do if they ship everything over and have to wait for 3months? Do people tend to get fully furnished rentals until their container arrives?

We're not sure whether to ship everything (don't own much) or try and sell as much as possible before we go and buy new! We'll be low on cash as it is so don't want to spend more than a container would cost anyway.

Pack for a long holiday.

What on earth are you thinking of buying for £3.5k? :confused:

Most people will rent temporary accommodation for a few weeks upon arrival and then when thet have located the long term rental they move in and "indoor camp" until the container arrives. Don't spend any more than you have to, we bought one saucepan and it was one pot cooking only.

Guest Levimouse

Thanks Rupert

I had costed white goods, beds, matresses, tv, DVD player etc etc. The £3.5k probably sounds a lot cos of our terrible exchange rate.

I've never liked the idea of camping but I guess it'll all be part of the richness of this journey.

I appreciate your thoughts.

Thanks Rupert

I had costed white goods, beds, matresses, tv, DVD player etc etc. The £3.5k probably sounds a lot cos of our terrible exchange rate.

I've never liked the idea of camping but I guess it'll all be part of the richness of this journey.

I appreciate your thoughts.

Well if you are not bringing beds, white goods then might as well go and buy them, however if you are bringing beds on the container then get airbeds for now. We bought a kettle and toaster, the saucepan, an airbed, pillows, bedding, towels, TV but decided we can live wihtout a DVD for a few weeks until the container arrives. We stuck to the bare minimum, didn't even buy spare bedding or towels, just washed and put straight back on. The indoor camping is part of the experinece I think anyway. :biggrin:

As a few have said, pack for a long holiday, which is the same as packing for a week long holiday (i.e. not too bad)! Then think about the other stuff you might need other than clothes, essential toiletries and paperwork.

I think folk get anxious (as we did) because of the feeling of getting here and not having packed something that you really need. But once you get here, that might only happen once or twice, if at all, before the rest of your stuff arrives. And if you are missing something reallly important you either go out and buy it, borrow it, or do without for a few weeks.

Good luck!

PS: If you pack before the shippers arrive (recommended) make sure you get all your bags out before they start! One of our bags ended up getting boxed up and we spent the first hour of day 2 searching through all the boxes they had finished. :embarrassed:

I am stressing about how to pack. I really can't get my head around it: how do you decide what goes in suitcase to the weight allowance but more importantly at what point pre shipping do you do this as it must be struggle to get the balance right versus the need to use things!

Not sure if anyone has already mentioned it but you can rent stuff out here for a few weeks.

We sent our stuff early and borrowed bits and bobs from family and friends until we left, hoping that the stuff would arrive soon after we did.

We travelled with a 6 month old - we rented a fridge, washing machine and bed (we had a travel cot for her) and got by just fine. You'll surprise yourself as to how little you can get by with. Try K Mart for cheap cutlery and that kind of thing - it wasn't a waste of money in the end as we use that for picnics now.

We're sending our container over 4 weeks before flying out and then will be staying with family until we go. Have booked a furnished holiday let for 3 weeks. We have been told it'll take approx 7 weeks for our stuff to arrive in Oz, but if there are any delays, we have sleeping bags at least!

When we went over the first time (in 1999), we went with just our suitcases, filled with photos, documents, etc..... we came back to Scotland last year but are returning to Aus for good next week. From experience, this time I am taking every little thing, every little peg, wooden spoon and duvet, every stick of furniture, every picture, vase and pot, everything. If it is not needed at the other end, so be it, but I am not going through the expense and hassle of buying every little single thing again! Okay, we wil have to make do for a few months.. cheap dishes, cutlery, bedding etc.. (I am taking 3 blow up double beds in my luggage) ... but by the time you add up the cost of buying everything new or getting a container, there is no competition, in my eyes. The first time we went we literally gave everything away, from hi-fi's (showing my age) to good beds and tv's, everything! Not this time.

Archived