move to Cronulla?

adamexmouth

Hi Guys, just been browsing through this topic, and think i may be sold on the area.

Mrs has landed a job as a nurse in Kogarah and we're hopin to move over at beginning of November. Cronulla sounds great, just what we're lookin for, and as no-one has mentioned, they have a Rugby League team in the sharks, which is another major plus for us both

Just gotta tell the Mrs about it now lol

Hi Guys, just been browsing through this topic, and think i may be sold on the area.

Mrs has landed a job as a nurse in Kogarah and we're hopin to move over at beginning of November. Cronulla sounds great, just what we're lookin for, and as no-one has mentioned, they have a Rugby League team in the sharks, which is another major plus for us both

Just gotta tell the Mrs about it now lol

which hospital is she going to? I have a job as the clinical nurse educator at St.Georges at hoping to be going begin of september :D

• 2 weeks later...

I really like Cronulla too, although settled in the Northern Beaches. We drove around the whole of the Shire and there are loads of great areas, most with affordable detached houses and good back gardens. It also has a direct train link to the CBD which I think only takes about 1hr from Cronulla and less from further in. Good shops and schools too. S'pose the difference between the Shire and Northern Beaches is that there is only really the one big beach where as the NBs have, as the names suggests (!) lots of beaches!

I have heard that like Manly, Cronulla can be extremely busy with tourists in the summer months, so depending if that's your thing, you may want to look a couple of suburbs in - Gymea, Miranda, Carringbah etc.

Good luck :0)

Hi, just read through this thread as we are moving to Sydney and beginning the research of where to live.

Cronulla sounds great, we are also lookinng at Brighton Le Sands, does anyone know the area?

We aren't bothered about being near a surf beach, the rents look reasonable and the train line into the city is near...

Thanks

Talie

I don't know much about Brighton Le Sands to be honest. It is on Botany Bay, right near to the airport and does seem to be quite built up. I think there is a large Greek population there. There are a couple of busy main roads, but it is convenient to both the airport and the city. To be honest, it wouldn't be my first choice of place to live, but we like it quieter than most.

We live in Sutherland Shire (Woronora Heights to be exact) and love this area. It is slightly further out from the city, but it is quieter.

I don't know much about Brighton Le Sands to be honest. It is on Botany Bay, right near to the airport and does seem to be quite built up. I think there is a large Greek population there. There are a couple of busy main roads, but it is convenient to both the airport and the city. To be honest, it wouldn't be my first choice of place to live, but we like it quieter than most.

We live in Sutherland Shire (Woronora Heights to be exact) and love this area. It is slightly further out from the city, but it is quieter.

I have to agree with you. Its a nice area but Its not where I would want to live. It doesnt take long to get to the city from Caringbah, or to the airport. Also not to sure where the train station is, I know its not in walking distance

:smile:

Hi thanks very much for replying

I stayed in Woronora Heights when I was 11/12 for six months and loved it. Really pretty area. I went to Engadine west public school and loved Engadine too.

Now moving over as an adult It's too far out. We don't really want to have to drive much ideally. We live in Manchester at the moment. No car, as we are near shops/schools and only 10 minutes train journey in to the city. We are a fairly urban family. We like the buzz of the city and having lots to do.

I'm hoping to find the same sort of balance in Sydney. Being near the city but having beach access without needing a car would be the amazing advantage.

At the moment we hire a car for weekends away.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I'm going round in circles with my research and we could do with narrowing down a little before coming over.

Thanks

Talie

Guest Locksley

Cronulla is the only beach suburb in Sydney that has a train station.

The trains are quite crowded on summer weekends and school holidays.

If you don't mind sharing the train with hundreds of kids and teens you'll be fine. :biggrin:

Sydney's a car town, much like LA.

Buses are an option...but remember that in the summer months you'll be standing in the heat for some time.

Many bus stops still don't have sun or rain covering.

Guest Locksley
great information...doe anyone have any information on Oatley? is it recommended for a small family?

Oatley's a nice suburb.

Quiet and safe.

You can walk/cycle across the bridge over the river to Como.

Como Pub highly recommended.

Guest Locksley
Was looking at rentals in oatley and many came up that were in mortdale and penshurst. Are they family friendly areas as well?

I lived in Penshurst many years ago. Much changed now.

Lot of Asians and Middle East folk have moved into the area.

Mortdale the same in some parts I think.

Hurstville is the main shopping centre...it's almost a second China-Town.

I'd stick with Oatley, myself.

Kangaroo Point and all areas around there are close to the water and family friendly.

Cronulla is the only beach suburb in Sydney that has a train station.

The trains are quite crowded on summer weekends and school holidays.

If you don't mind sharing the train with hundreds of kids and teens you'll be fine. :biggrin:

Sydney's a car town, much like LA.

Buses are an option...but remember that in the summer months you'll be standing in the heat for some time.

Many bus stops still don't have sun or rain covering.

You are right in saying that Cronulla is the only beach suburb in Sydney with a train Station, but its a fast way into the city, you will always get a seat, and they are busy during the week rather then weekends and holidays,,,,

I have never not been able to get a seat.... The buses take forever by the way...:biggrin:

Archived