The Packers & Original Manufacturers Packing?

koalakids

Hi there,

Happy New Year to everyone!

We are planning on getting quotes for packing companies in a couple of months time. We just wondered where we stood on re-packing some of our possessions in their original packaging (such as my rower). Do the packers insist that they do all the packing themselves and us not use original packaging as items packed by customers won't be covered for the journey?

Thanks in advance for any help you can give us.

KK. :huh:

Guest 8788jt

Hi KK

Not too sure about this one but going off on a tangent I think I remember reading somewhere that everything you take should be at least 12 months old and used otherwise you may have to pay duties,

Is it just that you have kept the original boxes and are using whatever it is or is it that they are new and unused??

I'm sure if I am completely wrong,someone will correct me.

We have had 3 companies round to give quotes and the one that has impressed me the most is Allied Pickfords.

Happy new year - Joanne

Hi Joanne,

Thanks for your reply. I have also heard that you can be charged duties for taking new, un-used items into Oz. Although someone mentioned that if you take it out of it's original wrapping they probably won't be able to tell (not sure how true this is). I'm sure that there have been many threads on this subject and I'll look for them at a later date as I'm very tired from last nights celebrations and haven't the energy to look right now. We can't wait to move to Oz as I'm sure everyone else is just as eager.

I'll probably ring a packing company myself and ask about self packing.

Good luck with your move and I hope your dreams come true in 2008.

Best wishes, Steve & Wendy.

Guest Mrs Braveheart

Hi Joanne

We brought over a few things less than 12 months old and also in original packaging. The removal company just put the bubble wrap stuff over the big things & packed the smaller things into their boxes. We never paid any extra duties on the stuff.

Janette

We used Crown shippers and they just put anything id boxed or anything in the original box into their big boxes and stuffed them with paper.Hubby had some brand new tools,bench saws etc and customs didnt query the 'new' aspect of anything ,good luck

Cal x

Hi

We also shipped a few new items over like a dyson vaccum as didnt want to clean the old one it was in the original box also a plasma tv still in the original packing and lots of new kitchen equip which were boxed up by the packers, we wern,t charged anything extra by the customs, but maybe we were lucky.

Good Luck

karen

Archived