Nice things about Oz please!!

LampsandGooders

What do I like best about Australia?

Just about anything is possible if you want it badly enough and are willing to work towards your goals.

The diversity of the country itself and the people who live here.

The bush, the beaches, the people, the space - I think I love the space most of all :cute:

I like the fact you can drive for an hour and feel like your in a totally different country.. The lanscape is fantastic..

I like that the majority of the time the weather is great, but more than anything i like the fact Australia has given us the opportunity to call this fantastic country Home !

Cal x

Thank you everyone who has contributed!

I sat at my computer smiling and dreaming about of all the things you all wrote.

Myself and my partner have been to Oz several times and we do love it...hence the emigrating!

We hope to go with an open mind and we definitely won't be assuming it will be an easy ride or be similar to the UK...far from it in fact!

We are up for the change in our life and can't wait to embrace all of what Australia has to offer.

I think the things I am looking forward to the most are:

warmer weather

beautiful scenery and open spaces

great food and drink

These are all things I have experienced before when visiting before!

Anymore ideas to make us all smile?!

I went to Leichhardt the other day for a regular appointment. Afterwards I had lunch in 'Bar Sport' on Norton St, which is the centre of the Italian community. Bar Sport shows all the Italian football games and the customers are all Italian/Aussie and I was listening to them all switching from Italian to English and back to Italian again, often when talking to the same people. A young mum came in with two kids and they were the same - bilingual. The nice thing about this is that, despite being ten thousand miles away from the 'real' Italy, here you can immerse yourself in the culture and language without travelling more than a few miles or less. And of course you can do the same with just about any other culture/cuisine/language you are interested in. I've noticed that many of the people who slag off Australia talk about it as if there are only Brits and Anglo Saxon/Celtic Aussies here.

Later on I went over to South Strathfield to see some old friends and neighbours from the 1980's. I remember when my Mum came out for the first time to our home there and the lady next door baked her a cake with 'Welcome Mary' on top. As soon as Mum arrived, she was whipped off to a function to meet some mothers and kids. Now those kids are all grown up with families of their own. I always have fond memories of living in that street. If you come out to OZ, it does not mean living in an alien environment. Once you give yourself time to settle into a house and turn it into a home, you can buiild yourself a new life and community. If you give it time, eventually Australia will become as much 'home' as it is for Aussies. Well, you may become 'Aussies' yourself!

Archived