repeat prescriptions

toastytrotters

Thanks Joanne and Perthbum!

so on the topic of going to the Drs to sort this out, how long does it typically take to get registered with a doctor so that you can see them to sort it out? just wondering what the typical timeframe is and if I should try and stock up before I come out.

I suppose that leads to another question, I wonder how much I can bring into the country without looking like some sort of drug mule! :-)

Thanks Joanne and Perthbum!

so on the topic of going to the Drs to sort this out, how long does it typically take to get registered with a doctor so that you can see them to sort it out? just wondering what the typical timeframe is and if I should try and stock up before I come out.

I suppose that leads to another question, I wonder how much I can bring into the country without looking like some sort of drug mule! :-)

Hi toastytrotters,

This is from one of the Australian websites, can't remember exactly where it came from, AQIS or DAFF or something.

No Need to Declare

If you are carrying medications such as aspirin, paracetamol or Australian over the counter medications you do not need to declare these items to Customs and

Border Protection when you arrive in Australia. If you are carrying prescription medication you do not need to declare these provided you carry a letter or prescription from your Doctor in the English language describing your medication and medical condition and you import no more than three months supply.

Found the link:

http://www.customs.gov.au/site/page4443.asp

Spenner.

You don't 'register' with doctors here. You can go and see any doctor.

I never have trouble in seeing a doctor the same day I need one - so there should be no waiting time involved in getting a script.

My son takes medication for epilepsy and we recently saw a Dr who gave us a script with 5 repeats (6 months worth). I bought 6 months worth with us when we came and got a letter from GP stating what it was for.

I ticked "Yes" on the customs form and when we went through customs, the man just asked me if they were prescription medicines. Didn't have to show letter or drugs.

When you do get to buy your prescription here. It's worth bartering the cost.

As for registering with Dr. Yes you can see any Dr anywhere but I registered with one here and paid for 1st visit. All subsequent ones are "free"

Hope this helps

If you check on the Pharmaceutical BEnefit List you will find out how much your prescription is going to cost. Also you will be able to see if the drug you are taking is available in Aus. Some drugs are available but special prescriptions are required. My daughter takes Keppra and a special scrip authorisation is required for this drug

As others have said, you get a repeat from the doctor on the script with how many. When you get your script from the pharmacy then you keep the form and take it back for each repeat.

The medicine is priced individually and all different for different medication.

You can get a cheaper brand for a lot of medicines, which they ask you when you put your script in.

Archived