Anyone done a moonlight move back to the UK

stokie33

Petals - do landlords get extra tax relief in Australia? Our flat is in the UK and we pay the same tax on our rent as the rest of our income. The only extra tax relief is an allowance of 10percent a year on furntiture for depreciation and on essential maintenance. Same as you get tax relief on subs. for professional associations and on work tools.

I'm not moaning mind you - with all it's pitfalls our flat has been a good investment - far better than sticking the money in an annuity.

I know if you do a runner the federal government will still chase you for child support at least (if that's one of the debts). Oh and it's one of the few debts you can't get rid of by declaring bankruptcy.

(Thanks to Elliot for that info - he used to work for CSA, now he's a food inspector)

Being a prudent landlord is an entirely different debate.

Being an individual who absconds levaing debts behind is the matter at hand. If you are that person it is an extremely dishonest thing to do and may whatever god you believe in have mercy on your soul.:evilface_frowning_s

Guest guest41161

To answer the OP and not be drawn into the debate of right and wrong, I doubt very much there would be any repurcussions should you go back to the UK for good. Australia and the world is a huge place, and if no one knew where you were going, it is pretty difficult to start guessing which state, never mind country you may be in. Even then, privacy laws would prevent major organisations from disclosing details to foreign companies.

You may run into issues coming back here though. Trying to get a rental, credit or household utilities may prove a bit difficult given the history would be documented somewhere in "the system".

we rented our UK home when we first came here, after paying the mortgage and the rental company we 'made' £40 a week and that was less than what 'repairs' cost us in the time we rented it out.

We NEVER wanted to rent it but between hubby getting the job and having to be here, we had 2 mths to sell up everything and move, we just couldnt sell it, we tried...

If we had tenants that moved out and didnt pay any bills we would of been stuffed really. Although the bond does cover for non payment for 4 weeks so that would hopefully cover until we got more tennants. We only rented for 6 mths then sold it via auction as it was not worth the hassle and worry for us.

I'm lucky my house in the uk is rented to a disabled lady who looks after it better than I did however the rent is always there and if it wasn't the mortgage would not get paid. So no it's not right to get up and leave at least have the decency to explain to the landlord what's happening it's not like they can imprison you is it.

I can only echo what Scottydog has said already. To answer the OP and not make judgements on what's morally right or wrong, (There seems to be a lot of people in this thread that are shining pillars of society that has never done anything wrong in their lives, I know I certainly have.) I can say that as long as you don't come back to Australia AND as long as you don't try and get something on credit in Australia, then you will be fine. It's highly unlikely they will contact you in the UK, as they eventually stop trying to contact Australian's who are still in the country. Once a company has sold your debt to a debt collection agency here, and they have not been able to contact you after some time using the details given to them by your lendor, they will list your last known details along with the debt details with a credit reporting agency (if the original lendor hasn't already) here in Australia and it'll stay on file for about 5 - 7 years if it's a large sum. I think it's 3 years for small amounts. After that time it "falls off" your credit report.

If it's rental arrears, they will take it from your bond and likely put you on the bad tenants list, so you will be unlikely to be accepted for a rental property in Australia again without trouble. Rental properties, especially in major cities here like Melbourne, Sydney, Brisbane are not left vacant for long.. unless it's a dive. The jilted landlord will also likely be reluctant to rent his/her house out to non residents again.

Seriously people, don't judge the OP, we don't REALLY know all the ins and outs of their situation.

Loss of rental will have the first few weeks covered by the bond.

No great sympathy from me for those involved in the circumstances described. Non-payment is not right but greed can also make people extend themselves; is greed a welcome trait and whose fault is it that they are greedy? If a landlord cannot take the loss of a few months rental they should be asking themselves why they are in it? Loss of rental should be factored into any 'business plan' by the landlord.

What a dreadful attitude towards someone else's misfortune.

Left there rent in arrears and bills, if so was there any comebacks

Having a small house which I have rented for years I have some experience of this. I think people that do this are no more than common theives.

Over the past 20 years I have had many, many tenants. Some people do fall on hard times that I can really appreciate been there, done that etc. I think as long as people are honest about their situation and tell the landlord immediately then it could make things so much easier. I have had tennants staying for a rent free period until they sort themselves out. Most of them have been wonderful and have become friends. A few have become ememies which I have sorted court action.. all in my favor.

Every time someone does a runner they make it even harder for everyone else, as there's even more suspision that the rest of us won't pay up. It's so hard to get your first rental already we could do without people making it even harder. Disappearing without paying in any circumstances is stealing. Whether it's a gas bill or shop lifting, the rest of us end up paying. The corporation doesn't take the hit - they just increase charges to other customers to cover it.

Guest guest68546
What a dreadful attitude towards someone else's misfortune.

Your sniping doesn't cut the mustard I'm afraid; its not misfortune losing a few months rent, its part of the risk of being a landlord and should be factored in and accepted. It was in that context my comments were made; I don't condone anyone 'doing a runner'.

Your sniping doesn't cut the mustard I'm afraid; its not misfortune losing a few months rent, its part of the risk of being a landlord and should be factored in and accepted. It was in that context my comments were made; I don't condone anyone 'doing a runner'.

I don't know of any landlord who would accept someone "doing a runner" mate. These things tend to catch up with such people eventually. Also I'm not suggesting you support this sort of thing, rather your attitude seemed to be quite flippant towards it.

No more "sniping" from this side".......Syd.

I think broadly speaking that there are several issues being aired here;

The basic honest/dishonest 'do I do a moonlight' and leave debt in a country on the other side of the world one which is arguably wrong but less likely to have repercussions unless you return.

The landlord who rents out property as an investment ( mostly Australian because it is seen as a valid part of the superannuation/tax system down here) who perhaps should be able to take rent arrears on the chin because they may well have it as part of their managed pension portfolio.

Finally the reluctant land lord likely to be UK based (but there are those in Aus who have to do it because of temporary job relocation etc).

In the UK it is not seen as an answer to pension plans or as a second income in general. The ordinary family will not be investing in a second property to rent out. There are no tax breaks or other advantages in the UK pension system to do this. Most UK landlords on this forum cannot sell the family home and many are facing negative equity. The timeline for getting to Australia is tight and based on many other things so renting your house to pay the mortgage is the only way. We are tenants in Australia and into our third 'rent' because we have fallen foul of two investment landlords who 'have' to sell because of their portfolio commitments. We do not hold grudges because both are business arrangements. Renting in Australia is seen as a second class option. Owning your own home is everything. Welcome to the lucky country!!

• 2 years later...
To answer the OP and not be drawn into the debate of right and wrong, I doubt very much there would be any repurcussions should you go back to the UK for good. Australia and the world is a huge place, and if no one knew where you were going, it is pretty difficult to start guessing which state, never mind country you may be in. Even then, privacy laws would prevent major organisations from disclosing details to foreign companies.

You may run into issues coming back here though. Trying to get a rental, credit or household utilities may prove a bit difficult given the history would be documented somewhere in "the system".

I hope the OP took your advice as they are now on the way back!

Archived