Warner - anyone live there?

tfarrell

We emigrating to Brisbane North in 7 weeks EEEEK! And have had our hearts set on a two storey new build. There seems to alot going up around Warner but I cant seem to find anyone that lives there that can shed any light on it. We would love to live around Albany Creek, McDowall, Bridgeman Downs but land prices seem to be way higher so we get alot more for our money in the likes of Warner. Im guessing once I get over there I will prob know myself where I would prefare but just want to see if anyone on here can help. Cheers :-)

Guest Guest16631

.......Warner is in the Moreton bay regional council area ...........worth googling their web site as it has lots of information and links to what is available in the area........http://www.moretonbay.qld.gov.au/. Good luck to you and yours.............tink x

We emigrating to Brisbane North in 7 weeks EEEEK! And have had our hearts set on a two storey new build. There seems to alot going up around Warner but I cant seem to find anyone that lives there that can shed any light on it. We would love to live around Albany Creek, McDowall, Bridgeman Downs but land prices seem to be way higher so we get alot more for our money in the likes of Warner. Im guessing once I get over there I will prob know myself where I would prefare but just want to see if anyone on here can help. Cheers :-)

We live not too far from Warner (between Warner and Albany Creek) in a suburb called Eatons Hill. My observations on Warner are:

1. the houseblocks in Warner are very close together;

2. the developers have cleared all of the established trees and the area looks very stark as a result. There was a newspaper article the other day saying that the developers have destroyed all of the koala habitats in Warner.

:frown:

3. For fear of sounding a bit of a snob, Warner is lower socio-economic house owners in the main because the land/house packages are cheaper. You therefore get the social problems associated with that. I was shocked to see wrecked cars on the extremely scrappy front lawn of a house which had only recently been built. I'm only used to seeing that sort of thing on a run down sink estate in the UK!

4. Most of Warner falls into the catchment of not so good schools.

How set are you on a new build? Would you be prepared to buy a two storey house between 3 - 7 years of age? If so, I would suggest looking at Eatons Hill and Cashmere for a house and then you would be in catchment for Eatons Hill State School or for the Albany Creek schools. You would also be surrounded by mature trees and wildlife. Some areas of McDowall have relatively new two storey houses too and that would then put you in catchment fo McDowall State School.

Presumably you'll rent initially so you can suss out for yourselves where you would be happy living. The best thing to do is keep an open mind on suburbs when looking for where to settle. When we moved to Brisbane we started out renting in Clayfield as my husband had lived around that area eons ago before he moved to the UK. He had very little knowledge of the Pine Rivers area but we found that it suited our needs and budget better than an inner city area when we came to buying a house.

Hope you find this information useful. Please sing out if you need any more specific information.

Cheers

Lucy

Hi T

How are you? Have you asked in the Northside group? There is at least 1 member there who lives in Warner.

We are nearby.

Warner does have the Genesis Christian College nearby (private). You can still go to the Albany Creek schools if you aren't in catchment (as they aren't enrolment managed). As Lucy says Eatons Hill is but I can't find the map at the second - I know it used to include some of Warner at least but that may have changed as the school is so popular.

x

New builds can be a nightmare and a minefield of hidden expense. You will get better value for your money buying an established home in an established suburb. Warner used to be a lovely rural area with rural acreage properties and depending on just where you live (there), you can encounter problems. That said, there are some nice parts and it isn't as "socailly deprived/praved as some think. Cashmere next door, will likely go the same way eventually.

Good luck

kev

New builds can be a nightmare and a minefield of hidden expense. You will get better value for your money buying an established home in an established suburb. Warner used to be a lovely rural area with rural acreage properties and depending on just where you live (there), you can encounter problems. That said, there are some nice parts and it isn't as "socailly deprived/praved as some think. Cashmere next door, will likely go the same way eventually.

Good luck

kev

I agree Kev about the pitfalls of new builds. I have heard some horror stories recently. One of the houses on our development had their builder go insolvent and do a runner with their money and they now live in a half built house trying to finish it in stages with whatever cash they can raise...

Yes there are a few nice parts on the outskirts of Warner where there are a few (few being the operative word) acreage blocks but I don't rate the area personally. I have to drive my daughter to piano lessons every Saturday morning in Warner Lakes and there are always bogan hoons trying to cut you up or outburn you at the lights along Old Northern Road. I disagree with your comments on Cashmere as Warner was specifically zoned for high density housing (on a similar basis to North Lakes - another place I would definitely not live for the same reason - overcrowding).

I disagree with your comments on Cashmere as Warner was specifically zoned for high density housing (on a similar basis to North Lakes - another place I would definitely not live for the same reason - overcrowding).

Unfortuntaly, zoning can be changed. I've seen it happen many times since coming here..............many good "acreage" rural areas, bought into and then re-zoned.

I had a chat with one of my friends (she's Australian and lives in Bray Park), and she was positive about Warner. Said there are some nice properties so keep an open mind until you get here.

Every suburb has its pros and cons. Eatons Hill is a "nice" area but even here you get some minor issues.

• 2 months later...

I live not too far in Petrie. I agree with some of the comments. In a few years time Warner might become a 'sink estate'. The houses look great by British standards but they are very close together and there is no soul to the place. Its endless houses and not much local infrastructure. Look at more established areas near to Warner as they will have more trees, parks, local facilities etc and look for places near a train line if you need to work in the CBD. Parking at stations is a nightmare. Don't be too eager to buy straight away either. Rent somewhere for a year and find the nice areas and the type of house you want. You may not like Oz too. My Aussie partner wanted to go back and it is only now after 4 years he wants to stay and build a life here. Prices are going down so you may get a better bargain when you do buy.

Archived