Emergency departments in Sydney

Olga

Thank God, have not had a necessity to go to an emergency department. However, I have heard quite a number of horror stories about emergency departments in public hospitals, e.g. extremely long queues, etc.

As I hold a private hospital cover, can I be admitted to an emergency department in a private hospital? And where can I find the list of the emergency departments in my area (Sydney)?

Do you guys have an experience of being admitted to an emergency department and how was your experience and what is the best way to avoid the nightmares of long waits and other disadvantages of the imperfect health system?

Guest The Pom Queen

I have been to A and E on numerous occasions, I have been very lucky that every time I am prioritised and taken straight through. I've been with my son who cut his hand on a glass we were seen, xrayed and back out in less than 30minutes. This hasn't been in Sydney though so not sure how different it is down there

You won't be admitted to an emergency ward at a private hospital, you can't walk into a private hospital for emergency treatment.

Some public hospitals are good some not so good, depends on where you live really. We had dealings with Sutherland hospital and they were great. I have heard not so good stories about Campbelltown hospital.

I've used Emergency at POW (Randwick) hospital a few times (day and night) and never had a problem with waiting times.

You're always seen by a triage nurse immediately and if you have a serious problem, you jump any queue that there might be.

I think the longest I ever waited for a doctor was 45 minutes.

You won't be admitted to an emergency ward at a private hospital, you can't walk into a private hospital for emergency treatment.

This may be one of those things which vary from state to state, but here in Hobart we have 2 private hospitals with Emergency departments. I have used them both within the last 21 months for both my OH (several times) and myself.

We did so because the public hospital system here is very overloaded and waiting times can be very long. There was an upfront fee ($85.00) but I think we were reimbursed by either Medicare or our private medical insurance.

I'd be very surprised if some of the larger private hospitals in Sydney didn't have an emergency department.

This may be one of those things which vary from state to state, but here in Hobart we have 2 private hospitals with Emergency departments. I have used them both within the last 21 months for both my OH (several times) and myself.

We did so because the public hospital system here is very overloaded and waiting times can be very long. There was an upfront fee ($85.00) but I think we were reimbursed by either Medicare or our private medical insurance.

I'd be very surprised if some of the larger private hospitals in Sydney didn't have an emergency department.

Likewise, Brisbane has them as well. I took our son to one once and it was empty and he was treated promptly and then sent away without a bill (they bulk billed us). Nice.

Guest GoldCoastMag

If you have an emergency that your general practice Dr can manage, wouldnt it be quicker to go to their surgery? Broken bones needing xray or massive bleeding or heart attacks are always going to be seen ahead of problems that are not as urgent and emergency rooms often do have really long waits for unurgent problems. OH had nothing but praise for the medical system here and has been in 4 different hospitals in a year.

Our GP will always squeeze someone in if they have an urgent problem.

Hope you dont need treatment, stay well.

We have been to Sutherland Hospital in Sydney a couple of times and have always been treated pretty quickly. First time youngest and I were taken in by ambulance because she had suspected meningitis. Seen promptly, the staff could not have been more helpful. Second time, again with youngest who had fallen and smacked her head on a low wall and was out for a few seconds, the doctors were great. Short wait, but there were a couple of emergencies in. Third time the children had left a small toy on our wooden stairs which I didn't see, and I slipped and landed awkwardly on my hand which proceeded to swell to twice its size. This was on a Friday evening, I was seen almost immediately by the x-ray dept, and then just a short wait to see the doctor afterwards. Whenever we have been, we have seen the triage nurse first (except when we went in via ambulance), so I guess they prioritise patients so that the most urgent cases are seen first. I don't mind waiting my turn, one day I might be there as an emergency and need to be seen ahead of others, so I guess it is fair.

Archived