Queanbeyan

richselina

Guest Bazinga

Depends on where you work. We found it is as expensive as Canberra for the most part but further away from where my husband works. My aunt in law lives in Karabar which is nice enough. We werre seriously looking there but now am very happy we settled in Belconnen

Guest Bazinga

Peach - Do I know you?! Just seen you're from Swindon, I know two other poms who are from Swindon living here.

Well a lot of Canberrans do look down their noses at the bogans from Queanbeyan but these days the housing is getting dearer in Queanbeyan as people vote with their dollars and cents.

The public transport across the border isnt as good as within ACT so if you are going to rely on buses that could be an issue. Also, being in NSW you are entitled to state funded services and not some ACT services - schools are one that spring instantly to mind and though there are loads of NSW kids crossing the border to ACT schools, they dont actually have a right of enrolment in any of them, just the capacity to be enrolled if the principal is keen on upping their numbers. Some other services are NSW based eg CAMHS, ancillary therapies, disability services etc which mean that you wouldnt get support through ACT services with a NSW address.

The schools generally dont do well in the ratings (cf remark about bogans above LOL) and though there is a base hospital in Queanbeyan it doesnt do the big stuff that The Woden Hospital does and TWH covers the whole of the area for the big stuff.

Would I live there? Yes, probably (if I had to move from Ainslie), it's closer to Civic than many of the ACT suburbs. I like that it is older and more established. The blocks seem to be bigger and at the moment the houses are marginally cheaper. If I had kids I would be sending them to private schools anyway so education wouldnt matter. Car rego will be cheaper than ACT and petrol is also usually cheaper.

I live in Queanbeyan and like it here. I feel as if there is more of a community spirit here than over the border. As for working in Canberra, I think most of the population in QBN work in Canberra.

As for services not being available to me, I haven't found this to be a problem. I have 2 small kids (3 and 7months) and they will be going to a catholic school just down the road.

Queanbeyan has very easy access to the coast and Sydney as well the Snow during the winter.

Public transport is an issue, however most people use cars to get about. There are bus services to Canberra but not sure how frequent they are

Sent from my iPhone Living the dream

I've always found QB to be more "Aussie" in feel than Canberra, but I'm happy in North 'Berra.

Incidentally, a mate of mine just bought a place in Captain's flat, sod of a run into work in the morning, but a lovely (and far cheaper) place to buy a house.

Guest Bazinga

We were looking at Captains Flat but eventually decided against the distance. Quite pleased we did as theyve been having awful trouble with the main road out there because of a closed bridge.

Guest Ptp113
I've always found QB to be more "Aussie" in feel than Canberra, but I'm happy in North 'Berra.

Incidentally, a mate of mine just bought a place in Captain's flat, sod of a run into work in the morning, but a lovely (and far cheaper) place to buy a house.

Used to have a good restaurant too, but not sure if it's still there?

Guest Illumanati2
Me too. Big up the Belco massive :o)

we stayed in Belconnen last year with family. they moved to scullin now...looking at trying to move that way if possible

I tell a lie- its Fraser lol

Archived