going back getting complicated lol

onecrankypom

Moving back seems like a forever in a day just getting all my stuff ready for my Australian citizenship so i can come back when every. Bu t in the mean time the ex to be has decided she telling the in-laws 3 months early so this weekend going to be hell weekend as far as i can see. Secondly will i be able to use my Australian drivers licence in the UK or will i have to take a test again i never had a full licence in the UK and the DVLA website not helpfully only passed in Feb this year. Want to confirm dates for my flights but no idea how long my citizenship going to take and finally leaving part way through next tax year how does me moving and working still effect that

You can exchange your licence for a UK one - should be relatively straightforward. You will still have to do a tax return for the next tax year but you should be able to do that online (unless you have a Mac).

Good luck for the weekend - dealing with irate extended family can drive you to drink!

You can just send in your Aussise licence to the DVLA and they will 'swap' it for the UK one. I can't remember if the form is on the website or at at the post office (sorry, it was a while ago!). Officially, you can use your Aus licence for 3 months...

When moving back, you still need to wait until the end of the Aussie tax year until you can do your tax return (they only issue the tax packs at the end of FY). However, when you're doing it, there will be a section that says 'resident for tax purposes for part of year' - you will put in the date you stopped being Aus resident for TAX purposes (it will also explain what that means) and everything is worked out from that date - so that if it was 31 Dec your tax free threshold and all else will be worked out as half of the allowance.

It is easy when you look for it in the tax pack or in the online version - I have done it when moving to UK and about to do it the 'other way'.

Can't help with how long citizenship will take though.....

Archived