Who's off to Sydney in next 6mnths?

deelydog

Hi all, just wondered if anyone off to Sydney in the next 6 months?

We will be on our way in sept, me,hubby,boy 8 and girl 5.

Seems everyone is off to Perth which was our first choice, but have job offer and relocation for Sydney so we giving that a go and looking fwd to it but worried about finding new friends.:wacko:

Be good to hear if anyone is heading our way too.

Thx

Guest trasi

Hi Ya

we are going out there 1st week in August (NSW)..... Also have a job there.

I have 4 kids.... 17, 15, 6, 4......

I'm hoping to meet people through the schools and the boys football and work of course :cool:

Trasi xx

Hi Ya

we are going out there 1st week in August (NSW)..... Also have a job there.

I have 4 kids.... 17, 15, 6, 4......

I'm hoping to meet people through the schools and the boys football and work of course :cool:

Trasi xx

Hi Trasi

Wow not long to go before your off....are you all ready?

How are the kids asking the move?

Which areas have you been looking at?

We got sooooo much to organise.....arghhhhhh

Hi

We are off to Sydney soon, no date as yet but within 6 mths, have a job offer. Me, OH, 3 children: 17, 14 & 8. Things moving so quickly and so much to do are heads are spinning! But really excited :smile:

Rachel

Hi

We are off to Sydney soon, no date as yet but within 6 mths, have a job offer. Me, OH, 3 children: 17, 14 & 8. Things moving so quickly and so much to do are heads are spinning! But really excited :smile:

Rachel

Hiya Rachel.....I know what you mean....I'm so scared and soooo excited....going to get the chance to see parts of the world we never thought we would.

But I really need to spend less time on here and more time sorting out stuff!

Have you been to Sydney before?

How are kids about the move?

Ali

Hi Ali

I've not been to oz before but OH has most of his family around Sydney, so a lot of support thankfully. The eldest and the youngest really looking forward to the move. My eldest is at college at the mo and is really looking forward to going to college over there. My middle one is more apprehensive as she is established in senior school and has just chosen her options for gcse, but she wants to go but is worried about fitting in.

PIO has been a God send, so much info available - but yes you're right there is so much to sort out, having another shipping quote on Thursday as we want to take our caravan.

What areas are you looking at moving to?

Rachel

Hi Ali

I've not been to oz before but OH has most of his family around Sydney, so a lot of support thankfully. The eldest and the youngest really looking forward to the move. My eldest is at college at the mo and is really looking forward to going to college over there. My middle one is more apprehensive as she is established in senior school and has just chosen her options for gcse, but she wants to go but is worried about fitting in.

PIO has been a God send, so much info available - but yes you're right there is so much to sort out, having another shipping quote on Thursday as we want to take our caravan.

What areas are you looking at moving to?

Rachel

Oh Rachel.....I have no idea about areas. Hubby will be working at Sydney airport, but willing to commute as long as we are all settled.

Telling kids this week and dreading it.....boy age 8 loves oz, but doesn't want to leave school,family and home.....it's going to break my heart....but it will mean we can go on our adventure. I have a 17yr old stepdaughter that wants to come out for a gap year too.

Wow, yes take your caravan.....think of all the places you can visit in it....amazing....we will take the tents.....and I hate camping as it Always rains!!

anyway keep us posted on ur progress....

thanks! I have been once but am going to see! I have got a job in st georges hospital as a clinical educator so i am hoping work will take up a lot of time whilst i try to get to know some other people! Its all a bit crazy working out what to do where i will live etc. i have one friend who lives in glenorie on the other side of sydney so if all else fails i will stay with them for a week or so to activate my nursing registration and find a rental. good luck to everyone! marion x

never easy telling the children, I told my 8 yr old that she could have a leaving party and get all her friends to write down their email addresses so that she could send her friends photos and keep in touch - turns out that most of her friends are really excited for her so that makes it a bit easier.

I also made a point of telling them that the planes go both ways so if we weren't happy we could always come back as it was important that we were all happy with our new life

You may be surprised how he takes it.

Keep in touch, we are all in the same boat x

thanks! I have been once but am going to see! I have got a job in st georges hospital as a clinical educator so i am hoping work will take up a lot of time whilst i try to get to know some other people! Its all a bit crazy working out what to do where i will live etc. i have one friend who lives in glenorie on the other side of sydney so if all else fails i will stay with them for a week or so to activate my nursing registration and find a rental. good luck to everyone! marion x

Sounds fab Marion, I certainly think you'll be busy with that role. Where is St Georges hospital? I take it you've already got you aphra reg - just out of interest did you have it before you got your job or was it job first and did it take you long to get it?

Guest MackyD

Family head to Sydney on Saturday! Living in Manly to start with while we house hunt. Packers arrive on Thursday.

Guest trasi

worked my last shift at the hospital today.....very emotional day and very hard saying goodbye to my beloved NHS after 24 years :cry:....... i am now officially unemployed until we go in 8 weeks...... however, lots to do, but gettin there... My kids are fine..... younger ones haven't a clue really bless em, my eldest 2 were unsure, but lets say we had a little help from the BBC and now after experiencing Oz for 2 weeks they are desperate to get back !!..... they have seen so many opportunties for them out there that this country just cant give them anymore....

i was really excited about going, but having left work today its finally dawned on me...'sh*t wat am i doing!!'...... but we have a great opportunity and im gonna grab it with both hands..... if we dont like it, we come home...... but we wont know if we dont try.

Mackyd.... not far from my destination...... north turramurra / erina...... if you hear of any good areas when your out there, let me know......i'm struggling with all the negative / bad reports written about the central coast !

Good luck everyone..... see you on the other side lol xx

Sounds fab Marion, I certainly think you'll be busy with that role. Where is St Georges hospital? I take it you've already got you aphra reg - just out of interest did you have it before you got your job or was it job first and did it take you long to get it?
I got the letter of from ahpra then went onto the nsw health jobs applied for first job and interviewed and got it.

4 weeks to get the ahphra, 2 weeks to apply for job, 1 week from interview to job offer and start my 457 sponorship this week. its in kogarah and i am thinking to see what miranda is like to live in. I think for some states you cant apply for jobs without the ahpra you can just register EOI. If I can be of any help let me know and if anyone fancies a smile and a drink when I am there I will be more than happy to meet up!

worked my last shift at the hospital today.....very emotional day and very hard saying goodbye to my beloved NHS after 24 years :cry:....... i am now officially unemployed until we go in 8 weeks...... however, lots to do, but gettin there... My kids are fine..... younger ones haven't a clue really bless em, my eldest 2 were unsure, but lets say we had a little help from the BBC and now after experiencing Oz for 2 weeks they are desperate to get back !!..... they have seen so many opportunties for them out there that this country just cant give them anymore....

i was really excited about going, but having left work today its finally dawned on me...'sh*t wat am i doing!!'...... but we have a great opportunity and im gonna grab it with both hands..... if we dont like it, we come home...... but we wont know if we dont try.

Mackyd.... not far from my destination...... north turramurra / erina...... if you hear of any good areas when your out there, let me know......i'm struggling with all the negative / bad reports written about the central coast !

Good luck everyone..... see you on the other side lol xx

Hiya,

we are already here, we were trying to decide between the central coast and the hills, in the end we went for castle hill. We have been up the central coast a few times. We decided on the hills due to the reputation of the schools. With hindsight I wish I had visited the schools myself before deciding on the hills. But with our temporary accomodation in the city center and needing to find a place we ran out of time.

We moved in to our propery in Castle Hill 3 weeks back, 2 weeks in and we are not sure we made the right decision!! so drove back up the coast to have another look at the properties, the kids started school as soon as we moved here and settled really quick so now don't want to move again.....

so think we are going to give it a year here then perhaps move up the coast. The other reason we decided against the central coat was job opportunities for me, but with our youngest still only 3 and me planning to stay home with her I don't think I should have worried about it! We alo worried that some parts we looked at we're a little to remote for us. We have decided if we are to move up there it will be to the Terrigal, Green Point or Erina areas just because they are a little busier imo.

The place coast is gorgeous, I love the beach at terrigal, wamberal and avoca.

Not sure if that's of any help, if you need to ask anything please feel free to!

Guest Catgee

Hi all, Me and hubby Dave are heading off to Sydney on July 18th! We've never been to Australia and are both contractors so we'll have to find jobs when we get there but it's all very exciting!! So much to do, so little time!!! I finish work on June 29th and OH is working up to July 13th so it's all getting very hectic. Can't wait to get out there and start our new lives but saying goodbye to everyone will be hard.

Hope everyone's plans are going well :-)

Cat x

Guest MackyD
Wow macky d really exciting, best of luck with the move, keep us posted :)

Cheers. So much stuff to do still but looking forward to it.

Guest MOC2012
Hiya,

we are already here, we were trying to decide between the central coast and the hills, in the end we went for castle hill. We have been up the central coast a few times. We decided on the hills due to the reputation of the schools. With hindsight I wish I had visited the schools myself before deciding on the hills. But with our temporary accomodation in the city center and needing to find a place we ran out of time.

We moved in to our propery in Castle Hill 3 weeks back, 2 weeks in and we are not sure we made the right decision!! so drove back up the coast to have another look at the properties, the kids started school as soon as we moved here and settled really quick so now don't want to move again.....

so think we are going to give it a year here then perhaps move up the coast. The other reason we decided against the central coat was job opportunities for me, but with our youngest still only 3 and me planning to stay home with her I don't think I should have worried about it! We alo worried that some parts we looked at we're a little to remote for us. We have decided if we are to move up there it will be to the Terrigal, Green Point or Erina areas just because they are a little busier imo.

The place coast is gorgeous, I love the beach at terrigal, wamberal and avoca.

Not sure if that's of any help, if you need to ask anything please feel free to!

We are heading out on 21st July, and staying at Quest Serviced appartments in Castle Hill. What is Castle Hill like for transport / parks / entertainment for 9 / 7/ 1 year old boys? We were advised not to put the boys into school until we had a house sorted. We have looked at Central Coast, but thought the travel to Bella Vista was too far. Now looking around the Northern Hills Berowra / Dural / Galston. Any views on these area's would be appreciated.

Hey,

I'm heading to Sydney Nov/Dec!! Super excited:) It will be my first time going to Australia..or rather first time going anywhere out the country and on a plane! My Fiance has been there countless times as he has family there and will be leaving in the next month starting his new job that side without meee:'(

But I'll have plenty to do while his gone spending time with the family,my studies and planing the wedding:D I'm sure all that will keep me busy..hopefully:) but missing him dearly just knowing soon he'll be gone:(

Soon all that will be over and starting a new life in Sydney:))

Can't Wait Xxx

I just skimmed through the various posts trying to see where everybody is going!

Manly? Like living in a seaside resort, even if it's winter now but there's plenty going on there.

Castle Hill? I like it whenever I go there and it has a big shopping centre and a very good RSL club. Personally, I would not like to commute from there to the city as there's no train service (yet.) But other people say the bus service is great.

Central Coast? I've never lived there and only go occasionally. Like Castle Hill, it's the sort of place that I'd like to live as long as I could work there but, as I said, I HATE commuting!

Someone working at St George Hospital, Kogarah? Brighton Le Sands is reasonable close if you want somewhere with a bit of life and a beach (on Botany Bay, not the ocean!)

I live in Surry Hills, just south and east of the city and I love it because so much of what I want to do is within walking distance. This evening, for example, I went for a walk, not really knowing where I was going, but within ten minutes I was on George St, China Town, Pyrmont, Darling Harbour. Walked back up to Town Hall and got the train one stop to Central and walked home from there - via a couple of pubs!

All being well, I've got a job to start this week in Penrith, so I WILL have to get used to commuting, albeit it, outside of the rush hour. I'm planning on getting the Blue Mts train out there which is faster and less stops than the regular trains so I'm hoping to do it, door to door in about an hour.

I guess my criteria for looking for somewhere to live are different to other people but I'd be looking for somewhere with decent shops/entertainment/medical services either within walking distance, or a very short drive. In some of those suburbs, you can be living in a marvellous home but, especially without a car, and with limited public transport, it can end up feeling like being in an open prison!

Start reading the Aussie papers online and listening to Aussie radio on line before you go. www.smh.com.au is the Sydney Morning Herald's site. 2UE, 2GB, 702 are all popular AM radio stations in the Sydney area. http://www.2ue.com.au,'>http://www.2ue.com.au, http://www.2gb.com.'>http://www.2gb.com. http://www.abc.net.au/sydney/

Archived