Tax return when on a working holiday visa

Lashie

Was just wondering what I could expect to see after a year of work here?

What is it based on? from the money I've earned, I've been told I should get at least 2000 AUD back, which is not too bad, I just don't want to expect this and then end up really disappointed when I only get 200 AUD or so...

Was just wondering what I could expect to see after a year of work here?

What is it based on? from the money I've earned, I've been told I should get at least 2000 AUD back, which is not too bad, I just don't want to expect this and then end up really disappointed when I only get 200 AUD or so...

Why do you think you will get $2k back? Have you been overpaying tax that you are aware of?

And...?

If you have earned money in Australia then you would pay tax in Australia. Why do you think you have overpaid is the question.

Because everybody tells me that you get a high percentage of your tax back, something like 60% or more.

Because everybody tells me that you get a high percentage of your tax back, something like 60% or more.

Rubbish. You will get back any tax you overpaid, it is impossible to say how much you might have overpaid without knowing wha tyou earned, what you paid and how many months resident you were in the tax year.

well i got nearly $3000 back last year and that was when i was on a WHV and i was only here for 6 months before the end of financial year. worth doing to see what you get!

so did my friend, but apparently it's just 'rubbish', with no explanation.

And then what about when I leave at the end of September? can I file another tax back then or?
I think you can only lodge them at the end of a financial year and they need to be paid in to a australian bank account (or they use to send a cheque??) - if yours has closed down by the following year you might not be able to claim. I managed to claim on my WHV, I came back the following year on 457 and manage to claim twice more. It is a good few years ago now - but I received back over $1000 each time.

"rubbish"

this is not true on a working holiday visa there are different tax/super rules and regulations and you can claim super back when you leave as well as a fair amount of tax as you are only here as a youth exchange program and long term and not a resident

so did my friend, but apparently it's just 'rubbish', with no explanation.

I did explain. I have commented that it is rubbish to assume you will get 60% tax back "because everyone said so" or whatever and that rather it depends upon what you earnt, what tax you paid and for how many months in the year you were resident.

I have at no point suggested that you don't bother filling in the return!

Archived