Just let my dogs go to their new home

mumoffour

We decided not to take our dogs because of the time to be spent in quarantine, the stress of the flights, the increased problems when getting a long term rental, and the costs - that we'll struggle to find now the house sale has fallen through.

They've been re-homed together with a lovely couple who already have a 9 month old golden retriever called Molly so my Lucy and Harry will fit in perfectly. I was very lucky to have a friend who is a dog trainer and has many contacts in the re-homing/rescue circles who vetted the enquiries and made the whole thing as stress free as possible.

This is the worst day so far in our journey to Oz :cry:

Guest The Pom Queen

There is nothing I can say that will take that pain away but have a huge hug :hug:

Guest Longtime Lurker

I can't imagine how difficult it was to make the decision not to take your dog, but you made it for the right reasons. :hug:

We had a dog in Cyprus that was re-homed before we returned to the UK - cried my eyes out as I drove away from the re-homing centre. The happy ending is the family she was rehomed with were also returning 8 months later. The long and short of it was we had the Centre crate her up and fly her to the UK and in those days it was six months quarantine. She still remembered us when we picked her up some 14 months after we said goodbye!

We decided not to take our dogs because of the time to be spent in quarantine, the stress of the flights, the increased problems when getting a long term rental, and the costs - that we'll struggle to find now the house sale has fallen through.

They've been re-homed together with a lovely couple who already have a 9 month old golden retriever called Molly so my Lucy and Harry will fit in perfectly. I was very lucky to have a friend who is a dog trainer and has many contacts in the re-homing/rescue circles who vetted the enquiries and made the whole thing as stress free as possible.

Really feel for you. We're going through a similar thing here. We've got 2 black labs (7 and 2) and they are part of the family and the kids absolutely love them also. We wanted to take both of them with us when we go out to Oz in a few months but kinda made the decision to leave them here and rehome them. My OH's parents were going to have the oldest one which was some comfort as he'd still be in the family but the youngest needed to be found a new home. After much deliberation we've decided to take the youngest of our 2 dogs with us, the older one still going to the in-laws. It will be hard leaving Oscar behind but hopefully offset by having Wesley with us in Oz, and its a pet from home for the kids also.

I've noticed when I've been looking around on the net for rentals that a lot of places say NO PETS, and I've had contact back from one rental company about a house that the owner would accept pets, but only if the dog slept outside. How much research have you done on rentals with pets, and how much of an issue do you think it is ? Will we really struggle to find somewhere? The company I'm going to work for are sorting accommodation out for our first month out there (dog will be in quarantine in Melbourne) which gives us time to look around when we get there.

Hope things get a bit easier for you once you're out there.

Thanks for the hugs everyone. Got dragged out to the park by 2 friends to take my mind of it all - and then a visit from my bestie for a hug. Have had a text from the new owners saying they'd been out for a lovely walk, had their dinner and now having a sleep.

Weird reminders keep cropping up like answering the door and automatically putting my hand out to stop the dogs running out - apparently this will wear off in about a week :rolleyes:

You really do have my sympathy. We have a beautiful cocker spaniel (Charlie) who we all adore but when the time comes, for the same reasons as you, it seems likely we will have him re-homed. It's such a sad thing to go through but if you need to do it to make the move as successful as possible for you then you have to try and focus on the bigger picture (easier said than done I know!). Providing you're confident his new home is a good one you can take comfort in knowing that he will continue to have a happy life - dogs are simple creatures really.

As the saying goes, time is a great healer but here's a hug to keep you going :hug:

Guest sadiesmum

That was a very unselfish thing to do, putting them through the stress of the flight and quarantine wouldnt be easy on them, and you could have put them through it to have them with you. In the long term it was their happiness that was important.

I hope that their new mummy and daddy keeps you updated with their progress.

:hug:

Really feel for you. We're going through a similar thing here. We've got 2 black labs (7 and 2) and they are part of the family and the kids absolutely love them also. We wanted to take both of them with us when we go out to Oz in a few months but kinda made the decision to leave them here and rehome them. My OH's parents were going to have the oldest one which was some comfort as he'd still be in the family but the youngest needed to be found a new home. After much deliberation we've decided to take the youngest of our 2 dogs with us, the older one still going to the in-laws. It will be hard leaving Oscar behind but hopefully offset by having Wesley with us in Oz, and its a pet from home for the kids also.

I've noticed when I've been looking around on the net for rentals that a lot of places say NO PETS, and I've had contact back from one rental company about a house that the owner would accept pets, but only if the dog slept outside. How much research have you done on rentals with pets, and how much of an issue do you think it is ? Will we really struggle to find somewhere? The company I'm going to work for are sorting accommodation out for our first month out there (dog will be in quarantine in Melbourne) which gives us time to look around when we get there.

Hope things get a bit easier for you once you're out there.

Re dogs in rentals, we just asked the question. Most landlords seemed to be ok if we paid an extra $500 or so bond

Also, outside/inside? How in god's name would the landlord ever know?!?!?!

Really feel for you having to do what you have had to do. Not easy. We are leaving our 2 labs behind too, but hopefully only until we are settled and sorted then my babies coming. So so difficult when they have been part of the family. Love my daughters and love my boy doggies too. When life is mad the dogs have been my saviour

Guest Steve and Paula

I can totally relate as we had our Pomeranian re-homed last year for the same reasons. We couldn't justify putting her through the flights, quarantine period, etc and the cost was going to be astronomical. It was the hardest thing we have done in our life but know it was the best thing we could have done for her. It will get better. You won't forget them but you will start thinking of all the great memories you have of them instead of just thinking of the day you let them go. It took a while for us but now we just think of all the silly things she did with great big smiles on our faces. We leave in 7 weeks now.

Take it one day at a time. Hugs.

Paula

My two beautiful labs have just gone to their new home today. I always knew it was going to happen and it is for the best, but, always wanted just one more day.

Although very sad today, I know they have great new owners that will love them.

I hope the move is worth it, I'm sure it will

Steve

Guest Lucy Furness

It is going to be the hardest thing ever for me too, letting my dogs go. I wouldn't put my 12 year old lab through quarantine. She has cancer and just wouldn't cope, even though she appears fit as a fiddle. I also have a mini poodle who is such fun, I rescued him last September and spent every waking hour helping him overcome his fear of humans and it seems as soon as we've gained his trust we're letting him go. I worry it'll ruin him, but so would quarantine, and we simply can't afford the costs. It makes me cry when I think about leaving them.

My old girl (and best friend) is going to a teacher at my daughters school and my poodle is going to a lovely lady who I know (luckily I work with dogs and own a grooming salon so know lots of nice owners).... But my heart breaks when I think about it.

I wonder how long it'll be once in Oz in October until I get a dog. I've never been without one (or two!) and will keep working with them once there.

I also have 3 cats to rehome too which is horrible.

My heart goes out to all of you who have to let your fur-kids go :(

Big hugs x

Guest themanns

I feel for you!!! I remember when we had our meds together you said you were thinkin of rehoming them.. you have been very brave.. I hope they will be happy in their new home. We are being very selfish and are takin our 2 king charles spaniels..just couldn't bear the thought of someone else loving them..mind you I am very worried they will get bitten!! If they could talk they would prob say they dont like foreign food or the heat and would think they would get more walks and cuddles elsewhere! You have to do what you think is right for the animal and you. X

All the rentals seem to have a pets outside clause. But so long as you are good about cleaning inside and being careful you'll be fine. Just make sure the owner doesn't live next door :)

(Satch is an 'outside dog' according to our lease, but comes inside when we're home)

Guest Jane8927

We had two dogs a mini-schnauzer and a pug, we drove half the country yesterday to re-home my pug baby with his new family, after only being able to find one airline that would fly snub nose dogs and he would have to fly to Canada then onto Sydney be quarantined there, then have to make another two flights to get to where we are going, we decided that it just wasn't fair on him to be put through all the trauma and stress, it is the hardest decision I have ever made, my heart is broken, the lady that has re-homed him has already sent me emails and texts re-assuring me that he is ok and happy, but it is like I have given away one of my children, so I sympathize with anyone that is making the move to Aus without their pets, for me this is def the worst thing about the move. :cry:

Archived