Hello - newbie here - head all over the place!

Kelloggs30

Hi everyone,

I am new to this forum and feeling like I need some words of wisdom (or comfort!) from people who know what I'm going through!

My situation is that I am lucky enough to be an Australian citizen by descent, I applied for and was granted citizenship while I was backpacking around Australia in 2006. I then returned to the UK at the end of that year with my British partner who I met whilst travelling. We are now engaged to be married in July and had our first baby in December. We have decided to take the plunge and return to Australia permanently.

So, we've started filling out the partner visa forms and compiling all the evidence we need to prove our relationship and I feel like my head is going to explode!!!!! I do know that I should be grateful that I have an easier route into Australia than most people and I am definitely thankful for that, it's just a looooooooot of paperwork to try and get done with a 6 month old baby in tow! :wacko:

Anyway, we've decided that Queensland is the state we want to move to, mainly for the weather and hopefully the job opportunities! We are both secondary school teachers (Science and PE) and were thinking that it would be reasonably easy to find jobs while its on the skills shortage list. But now, after reading so many negative posts on here, I'm really worried that we'll be jobless for the foreseeable future! We are in the process of registering with the Queensland government as teachers, but need a reference from current employers who don't yet know we are planning to leave!

I can't really discuss this with people I know, especially not my work colleagues, as we're keeping it a bit of a secret until we know whether the visa will actually be granted (although I don't anticipate any problems).

I was just wondering whether anyone else was in the same boat re: teaching jobs? Or if anyone has any advice?

I'm feeling a little deflated as although I know from experience that we love Australia, it was a while since we lived there and so many people are posting on here with all sorts of negative stuff :confused: re jobs, homes, schools, economy, Aussies hating POMS! etc.

Sorry for the long post, just got nowhere else to vent :wink: but aside from all the negativity I've seen from some (not all) of the posts on here I'm very excited and would love to share ideas with people on here!!!

Kelly

Hi , yes there are many negative posts but also many good ones. I wen to brisbane 10 years ago and loved it, sadly i have had to go to perth on a 176 visa but it does appear that there is much work in that state. Hope all goes ok and there are plenty of good members, watch for the hoff he wont have a bad word said about oz. Ps, ticked your first like button. regards

Thanks jgt, I lived in Perth for 3 months and loved it! Unfortunately for me I have rheumatoid arthritis which is not great in cooler weather otherwise it would have been Perth all the way for me! Loved loved loved the Sunday sessions in Cottesloe!

Hahaha, I was a bit like that. People thought I was mad! But it got to July and it really was cold and rainy. I remember walking to work every morning in torrential downpours! But it's such a lovely city I could forgive the winter (haha) weather if I didn't have the arthritis to contend with! :-)

Good luck with the move, if you are moving to a country area you may find that the employer will pay your rent-). I would advise that the job comes first before you get a firm idea of where you want to live etc. A lot of posts here are about people who have found a nice place to live but have no jobs when they get here.

Lostdf3 - it's really hard to know when to tell them! If I tell them too soon and things don't go to plan it'll make life so hard at work! But telling them too late could have exactly the same consequences! Have you already emigrated or are you still in the process?

Sussex boy, thanks for the advice. I'd love to secure a job before we go, but it seems really hard to do from here. I'll keep trying though and am in the process of registering with every job website and every teaching-related agency I can find! :-)

Archived