Doctors In Aus

Guest theweekshousehold

Guest theweekshousehold

Hi

Just a quick question, have been in Aus for 12 weeks and been to the doctors what with children and womens problems.

had a few Womens problems and been to see the doctor (100% bulk billed) and have been referred had scans really easily but i get the distinct feeling that its more about making money in and out kind of thing not very empathetic.

Have i picked the wrong doctor or is that how it is in Aus

My husband had a cortizone injection in England after sustaining tennis elbow at work (lifting concrete) and had a relapse here. It took months of physio, doctors visits etc in England before he got this as a last resort; walked a into doctors here, no questions asked, there's your injection, see me again if you need another! This was not a bulk billing doctor, one who had a fee however. He now needs another one, made an appointment at a bulk billing doc the kids have been seeing, and told he may not recieve it, doctor will examine him thoroughly and then decide. The new doc we are seeing is really good though, actually seems to care how you are, brill with the kids. First doctor injected them as if they were cattle, then gave us the bill.

I thought that maybe it was about the money too, but now think that maybe you just haven't found the right doc yet, and hopefully you will next time. Good luck,

Jo x

Guest mutikonka

Aus docs are just as good as their British counterparts but the system works against good medicine. I'm not surprised you had a dodgy experience with a bulk billed clinic. They tend to be [but not always] the three-minute medicine practitioners. Some medical centres are run by corporations who are very much focused on the bottom lline and deter their doctors from spending more than a few minutes with each patient, ordering tests or prescribing expensive medicines. I won't name names but they are big in NSW and Queensland.

Can't blame the independent bulk-billing GPs though, when they only get something like $30 per consultation - after paying overheads they could earn more with an ice cream van.

The better doctors tend to be those that don't bulk bill - ask yourself if it is worth paying the $20 difference and seeing a decent doctor who will spend time listening to you.

If you want to find a good doctor in your area, try looking on the website RateMDs - they have an Australian section where you can see how other patients have rated docs in your state.

I quite agree with Michael - the bulk billers around here are generally more conveyer belt than empathetic. Our local practice is very hard to get into but the doctors will always give you the time of day. Just a tip - if you are heading for a first appointment and have a bit of a history, ask for a long appointment. It will cost you about the same out of pocket but you get double the time which also takes some of the stress off a frazzled doctor with a waiting room full of patients.

My Dr dosnt bulk bill it costs me $50 for an appoitment and medicare put $36 back in my bank account.Cant fault the service i have recieved and the speed of referrals is fantastic,the blood clinic is next door (ive never had to pay for that) again the service is great.Sometimes its worth forking out a few quid,oopps sorry bucks!!lol

Cal x

Archived