Problem with a Migration Agent

flatpack

Hi All,

Having finally made the decision to apply to live permanently in Oz, I rushed a little into choosing an agent. As soon as we made our first payment of £500 the problems began.

After initially promising the earth, saying they would take care of everything, just sit back and relax, provide the documents as and when they needed them. In reality we got a short email listing documents including IELTS and skills assessments. When I questioned them and asked what to do about IELTS and skills assessments they just sent links to web sites and left it at that.

After precisely one month from the first payment they rang me asking for a further £500, when I questioned them about the progress of my case they said that I hadn't sent them any documents so they had not proceeded. But that I had agreed to pay them in one monthly intervals. As you can imagine the flea that I put in the proverbial ear was a rather vicious one. A couple of days later they rang again asking for money, they were told in no uncertain terms that they weren't getting a single penny until I had successfully completed an IELTS test.

I have since booked an IELTS test which is in 6 weeks time and I had heard nothing from them for approx six weeks, when yet again they asked for money, not how the IELTS was progressing.

I had long since decided I wasn't going to proceed with this company but was reluctant to throw £500 away so made tentative enquiries about a refund, stating their lack of progress and indeed lack of anything. I was robustly told that that wasn't possible.

I made the initial payment with a credit card, so looking back through my statements to find the transaction I found that my card had been charged by a totally different company, an IT solutions company! I have contacted my credit card company asking for a refund as they haven't provided me with any kind of service and they have sent me a form to fill in.

I have also emailed the visa company asking for their MARA number and they are now ignoring my emails.

What I would like is any advice of how to approach this, is there anything specific I should say/ write?

Many thanks to those than help.

P.S. I have found a repuatable agent through POI

My view is that you are probably going to have to resort to the small claims court to get money back from your initial "agent."

And discuss with your credit card issuer - they may also be able to resolve matters in your favour.

Good luck!

I have already started a claim with the credit card company so fingers crossed.

Sounds like you are doing everything right. And gut feeling is always a good thing to go on. We made a small enquiry with Go Matilda, and if we were to use an agent that's who we'd plump for. (Hopefully the work side will deal with things though so saving us money and stress).

I hope you get your money back and that this doesn't put a dampener on your move.

Sounds like the same agent as me, although we paid the £1700 up front and so are now stuck with them.

Have pretty much resported to doing everything myself as anything I ask them they give me false information back so a whole waste of time AND its because of them we're missing 1st July deadline.

Not impressed!!!!

Let us be a warning to everyone else out there - choose your agent VERY carefully - although we were actually recommended by friends to use them??!!!

:mad:

• 2 weeks later...

Archived