Container.....Can I pack it myself?

Hi everyone,

Has anyone ever packed a container themselves? We dont live too far from Southhampton and I would be quite keen on taking the stuff and packing myself. Is this possible? Do you get time to take stuff and pack it in or do you have to pack it in one?

Can you put a car in it and pack behind it (or in front).

I hate having to pay people to do things that I can do myself!! :biggrin::biggrin:

Your experiences or thoughts please.

Jase

I understand it's theoretically possible, but the insurance costs will be higher, and because you'll also spend longer packing the container than the pro's would you may have to pay extra money for keeping the container longer as well...

I felt the same as you, but we went full service at the UK end (but just got them to deliver and unload in Oz to save money)

We are packing up our house at the moment ready for our sale to complete but will be renting here for 3 months first before the BIG move.

We have packed some boxes of stuff that will not be needed until Oz (and then will move the rest straight to the rented house and let the shippers pack that) but will the packers want to repack our "Australia" boxes ??

Thanks for the replys, to ask a few more questions, what does insurance cost for a container packed by the experts? And would it be considerably more if you packed yourself? I have seen prices of packing and shipping on here and I know it all depends on how much stuff etc but what does each part actually cost? Is the bulk of the money them coming and packing or is it the actual shipping.

I suppose I'm trying to keep the cost down without really knowing what the costs are, I know that I can rent a large van (benefits of being old and having a Licence with lots of things I can drive on it) and drive our stuff down to the docks for a couple of hundred quid but its the costs beyond this I have no clue about!!

Jase

Archived