Shippers done- a light hearted look at the days before emigrating

bungeeman

So the shippers (PSS) have been, gone, packed up our 3 bed house and taken all our worldly belongings on the back of a 7.5 tonne lorry (well at least we think they were official- or we've just handed our lives to 2 very good con-men who now own a large DVD collection and a fair bit of costume jewellery)- a bit disappointed that 30+ years of a lifetime fits on something so small!!

Still the reality of the move began to set in- but only a little as we've emptied the house, been on several tip/charity shop runs and now have moved in to my in-laws as we complete on our house sale tomorrow! So we then become officially homeless- living out of bags- or tramps as they are known in Greater London.

I'd like to say I'm very excited about the flight on Monday and the journey to our new life, however with my 7 month old son contracting a cold and generously passing it on to me, I must say the flight I am dreading! And I used to love going to the airport before any holiday.

However 21 hours of pain is all we need to get through to land in sunnier climes and begin the adventure of our lives. I'm sure several whiskey miniatures, plane food and some action movies, along with friendly emirates flight staff will be enough to get me past the wife's snoring in my left ear. And I'm sure we will no doubt annoy the other folk in cattle class as we'll be 'that couple' who dared bring a baby on board a plane! (oh did I mention the first leg is a night flight?)

Still what's 36 hours of sleep deprivation amongst families- except possibly divorce and the inability to function to simple tasks like feeding myself. Still at least Verity will have pushed enough Zzz's to be able to spoon feed both our son and me! I had all these expectations of arriving in Perth at five to 1 in the morning fresh as a daisy (whatever that is) but in reality I can't help but feel I will arrive a gibbering, dribbling mess which will no doubt arouse the suspicions of customs staff at the airport resulting in a nice gloved finger up the bum!

Helllooooooo Australia!

Well only time will tell. We will be enjoying our last 4 days in the UK Walking into town and drinking copious amounts of overpriced coffee and window shopping.

And if you folks enjoyed this little ditty- I'll be sure to update you all with future light hearted posts about the experience and our first few days in WA!

All the best!

Ben, Verity and Snotbag aka Abel

So the shippers (PSS) have been, gone, packed up our 3 bed house and taken all our worldly belongings on the back of a 7.5 tonne lorry (well at least we think they were official- or we've just handed our lives to 2 very good con-men who now own a large DVD collection and a fair bit of costume jewellery)- a bit disappointed that 30+ years of a lifetime fits on something so small!!

Still the reality of the move began to set in- but only a little as we've emptied the house, been on several tip/charity shop runs and now have moved in to my in-laws as we complete on our house sale tomorrow! So we then become officially homeless- living out of bags- or tramps as they are known in Greater London.

I'd like to say I'm very excited about the flight on Monday and the journey to our new life, however with my 7 month old son contracting a cold and generously passing it on to me, I must say the flight I am dreading! And I used to love going to the airport before any holiday.

However 21 hours of pain is all we need to get through to land in sunnier climes and begin the adventure of our lives. I'm sure several whiskey miniatures, plane food and some action movies, along with friendly emirates flight staff will be enough to get me past the wife's snoring in my left ear. And I'm sure we will no doubt annoy the other folk in cattle class as we'll be 'that couple' who dared bring a baby on board a plane! (oh did I mention the first leg is a night flight?)

Still what's 36 hours of sleep deprivation amongst families- except possibly divorce and the inability to function to simple tasks like feeding myself. Still at least Verity will have pushed enough Zzz's to be able to spoon feed both our son and me! I had all these expectations of arriving in Perth at five to 1 in the morning fresh as a daisy (whatever that is) but in reality I can't help but feel I will arrive a gibbering, dribbling mess which will no doubt arouse the suspicions of customs staff at the airport resulting in a nice gloved finger up the bum!

Helllooooooo Australia!

Well only time will tell. We will be enjoying our last 4 days in the UK Walking into town and drinking copious amounts of overpriced coffee and window shopping.

And if you folks enjoyed this little ditty- I'll be sure to update you all with future light hearted posts about the experience and our first few days in WA!

All the best!

Ben, Verity and Snotbag aka Abel

Great post thanks. I always find it so interesting hearing about peoples' sweating, gulping, heart-stopping, OMG are we doing the right thing, yet so excited moments before getting on plane. It really is the expat's journey summed up in posts; the real nitty gritty laid bare. It's also a reminder of just how brave folk are to uproot and start out on a new life.

Every cloud though, at least you have a legitimate excuse to give the little un meds which coincidentially will hopefully knock her out on the plane. Wishing you a safe journey and all the best.

Thank you all! I will endeavour to update over the next few days and from the airport! Lookin forward to seeing what obsticles/ joys the coming hours and days throwbat us- provided I haven't been arrested for battering the mother-in-law (and I'm not talking fish and chips here!)

Guest AKA63029

The 'best' bit comes Ben comes when you get there and receive your goods once cleared.

I lost count of the times I said to the good lady:

'What the hell did you pack this for'

You know, Juicers still in their packaging that we NEVER used in the UK. 200 Tog Duvets,:laugh:. And the best one, a 'cask' of dogs ashes that had remained buried at the back of the cupboard in the UK but then placed with pride alongside the JUICER.:twitcy::arghh:

Cheers Tony.

Why thank you all for taking the time to read/ comment on my post.

The other thing I noticed today was how empty the house felt. It's surprising how much the place echoes without all of our cr*p clogging up the place. Abel decided the accoustics were great as he repeatedly let out a flurry of high pitched screams. Sounding like a pre-pubescent school girl on helium- my ear drums still aren't quite right and I believe I now have tinnitus. Still he enjoyed himself.

And as my wife lovingly prepares my food for this evening- I can't help but realise- all those comedians with the mother-in-law jokes.... they were really onto something! (*wife hands me an extra large glass of wine- she knows it's been a tough day).

Fingers crossed my tea this evening will be the proverbial head on a plate. That'd bring a wry smile to my face. I would go into what she's done to annoy me today- however I don't think PIO has the servers to cope.

Needless to say this particular entry into the diary will continue for the next four days or at least until I have grown a pair and buried her under the patio.

*Rant over*

So moving forth- the house is 100% completely empty. My suitcase is busting at the seems and I am looking forward to hearing those words "I'm sorry sir, your bag is over weight (Insert mother-in-law joke here)" and at £35 per kilo for excess baggage- that's an expensive pair of pants I'm ferrying to Oz.

Archived