Childresn aussie passport photos

TheGrahams

The kids passport appointments are next week, so just making sure we have all the right docos, as its a long way to London from Cornwall.

I have just measured the boys photos against this little see through thing they send you with the forms to check they are the right size, and their chins aren't far enough down the photo, which basically means they are not close enough to the camera or they are too small! (they are only 4 and 5!)

Has anyone else got kids Aus passports? I know with a UK passport they are slightly lenient with photos of children, are they in Aus (soemthing tells me not?!) or does it mean getting them done again? (only this time I will have to hold them right up by the camera!)

Your best bet is to find a local photo shop and they do them for all different passports. Aus requirements are very specific and I know hubby had to get his done specially and our son's one is also meeting the facial requirements. I'd not risk submitting them if they are the wrong size etc. Also just winging it and holding them closer to the camera/screen or whatever is not a sure fire way to get the right facial measurements.

Check online for photo/camera type shops near you and I am sure you'll find one that offers passport pics for all kinds of countries (they'll list Aus or can tell you if they do them). We found a few in Bristol (its not far from where we live) and got them done the next day.

Guest The Ropey HOFF

Sorry for highjacking your thread, but our passports run out Dec/Jan 2013 - 14, would it be alright and easier to change them early and get our visas in the new ones before we get to Oz, middle of next year.

Sorry for highjacking your thread, but our passports run out Dec/Jan 2013 - 14, would it be alright and easier to change them early and get our visas in the new ones before we get to Oz, middle of next year.

I am planning on emailing my CO soon to ask the same question, as mine expires Aug 2013

Hi,

Measurements for Australian passport photo's are slightly bigger than UK ones. They are very strict with this but I was told today that you can have them done at the Embassy in London but would cost quite a bit more. My daughter (21) had her photo's done today in the post office and he said they were fine. My son (7) but 5 at the time, had his done in the post office too and they were fine. Costs £5.00

It's a long way to go for you if they are wrong so might be wise to have them done again or just double check the requirements on the passport application form.

Best of luck!:cool:

Thanks,

I think I am going to have to try the machine again, there are no shops down here in deepest darkest Cornwall that do Aus passport photos and the boys will not be going to the interview for passport, just Dad, so I figure I need to work out the angle to make their faces big enough, as they are not right!

When I renewed my Aus passport in Jan 2008 the photos I had were the wrong size, they wouldn't accept them. Luck they guy was sympathetic, when I showed him my old one that had been through the wash 5 days before, and gave me directions to the photo shop just down the road. The guy in there had the measuring thingy to check to make sure the new ones were right. Maybe ring the Aus house and ask them for the photo places name and ring and see if you can get them done on the morning you get to London.

You shouldn't need to, the visas are electronic.if you want it for the sticker to show employers etc you could just show them your old passport with the sticker

The kids passport appointments are next week, so just making sure we have all the right docos, as its a long way to London from Cornwall.

I have just measured the boys photos against this little see through thing they send you with the forms to check they are the right size, and their chins aren't far enough down the photo, which basically means they are not close enough to the camera or they are too small! (they are only 4 and 5!)

Has anyone else got kids Aus passports? I know with a UK passport they are slightly lenient with photos of children, are they in Aus (soemthing tells me not?!) or does it mean getting them done again? (only this time I will have to hold them right up by the camera!)

We're having to get our children's Australian passports for our return to Aus and I was concerned about the strictness re the photos so phoned the Australian Embassy in London who said that they cannot be out in the slightest and should be done at a photo shop. I phoned around and found out that Jessops can do Australian passport photos so will be taking the children there.

I'd get new passports before you go - but if you get the visas in the old ones (or your part way through the process) you just need to tell them about the new passport details so they can link the visas to the correct passports :)

I don't know about easier , but it certainly is cheaper getting them done in UK ..... at the minute it's $280 for an adult and $203 for a child over here

Can I ask what documents the parent is taking with them? I am having to apply for my child's passport and wondering if I can take certified copies of my passport and drivers licence (they are currently with the UK border agency). Also Australia are quite strict with passport photos. I had to take a photo of my 4 day old daughter and she had to have eyes open, mouth shut and be looking at the camera!! yeah piece of cake for a tiny baby!!!!

@thehoff: you can renew up to 9months before expiry and not lose any time on them, so for example you could renew them in april 2013 and they'd be valid until december 2023. So if you're going middle of 2013, I'd definitely get them done before you go, since it'll be cheaper and no time loss on them, just remember to let DIAC know once you have the new ones.

Guest The Pom Queen

Don't mention Aussie passports to me, what a damn nightmare, Aus post found fault on everything, our photos had been done in one of the passport booths and that wasn't good enough so we had to get them redone at the post office, then we tried a professional photographer, again this wasn't good enough :wub:

Fingers crossed they won't be as fussy in the UK.

Archived