Wanted Down Under

Davo1

Hi All,

I recently joined the site in order to get some info on Oz for myself, husband and daughter. We have been thinking about emigrating for some time now and have been doing loads of research to try and see if it is for us. I have loads of friends out there but no family.

We also applied for the BBC1 programme Wanted Down Under and were successful! We went to Brisbane for a week and although it was a flying visit, we fell in love with the place and the lifestyle etc in Oz and have decided to make the big leap!

We are hoping to get our paperwork together and send it off before the big changes on 1st July. I have sent my qualifications and work experience to be assessed by AASW (as I am the lead applicant) so fingers crossed it comes back within 4weeks or else it will be cutting it VERY fine to send off the visa paperwork. Applying for a 175 visa to give us the freedom to stay/work anywhere.

Just wanted to say Hi and Good Luck to everyone - it will be a stressful time but worth it in the end!

Hi just wanted to say Hi and welcome you to PIO, there are so many people on here who will offer so much advice and most of its good advice too.

We too have recently returned from Melbourne filming for WDU, it was very stressful and really hard work but worth it, I'm dreading the show though cos of how others will perceive you, but was a worthwhile experience.

Whereabouts are you here in the UK and are you looking to move to Brisbane.

Debbie

Xxx

Yeah I am aware of that. Fits in well with our plans as our daughter is in her 4th year at School after the summer and we wanto to let her finish that before heading off. We were hoping next summer (if we are lucky like you and get the 175 after 12 months) but have resigned ourselves to leaving between October and December 2013.

How did you find the process for the 175 visa? When did you get a caseworker allocated? Any tips?

Thanks!

Hi Debbie,

Its a small world! Yeah same here - fantastic opportunity but was very hard work and I really found the filming hard - worried about the editing of it! lol! I will never watch TV the same again.

We are really looking forward to the move. Currently live in Aberdeenshire, Scotland and at the moment it is Brisbane but am keeping my options open re work etc.

What about you? When are you moving to Melbourne? I have a friend moving to Melbourne in a few weeks.

Thanks for your welcome. Was recommended this forum by a friend and I am glad she did as there is such good advice on here. Doing it alone without an agent so need all the help I can get! Think we are fairly organised - so fingers crossed!

Hi Daz,

That is good news - 4/5 months would be superb if that is true. It would be great to leave July 2013. I have to sit my IELTS for extra points (on 26th May) so as long as I get what I need we will send our application mid June. failing that, it will be after 1st July and I will apply for state sponsorship then - as long as my job is on SOL 1 I should be fine.

Good Luck!

applying for the 175 visa gives you time to plan, save money to take with you, develops your patience, you'll get a tracking number for the website (i checked it everyday), 175 you can work anywhere in oz, we have set our sights on melbourne ( more job opps) so if we want to move we have a good base, we got our CO in feb this year (we applied on July 1st last year)

i think you'll be lucky to get it in 5 months

all the best

Hi Daz,

That is good news - 4/5 months would be superb if that is true. It would be great to leave July 2013. I have to sit my IELTS for extra points (on 26th May) so as long as I get what I need we will send our application mid June. failing that, it will be after 1st July and I will apply for state sponsorship then - as long as my job is on SOL 1 I should be fine.

Good Luck!

i hope youve been practicing for your IELTS test my wife did and got 8.5s & 9s, make sure you do lots of homework and practise with others on how the process works

I know what you mean about watching tv in a different light, that is so true, im the same. Also dreading the editing, I found it really hard as I will be leaving my eldest daughter and 2 yr old granddaughter and they homed in on that so much and I got upset quite easily during the filming.

We have our 175 visa, took us 6 mths to get but that was 2.5 yrs ago and things have changed a lot since then.

We are hoping to go later this year as long a I can persuade my other 3 children to come, it's so hard as they are now sixteen.

We absolutely loved Melbourne, we validated our visas 2 yrs ago and went to Sydney but feel we could have a better lifestyle in Melbourne.

Will add you as a friend and if there is anything I can help you with, just ask.

Dbbie

Xx

Guest Claire101
Hi Davo1

I have just been told that 175 Visas are taking between 4 and 5 months. I am going to lodge my 175 visa this week. I hope the 4 to 5 months is nearer than the 12 to 18 months quoted by Devon.

Daz

Hi there

We applied for our 175 at the end of November and got our case officer mid April. Officially case officers have been allocated up to October but in reality I think I'm right in saying that most December applicants have now been allocated.

Good luck!

hi guys

we did wanted down under in 2008 and be warned it is really cringe worthy watching it back, and the editing made it look like iwas really unsure about it when actually i was really positive i just said i needed more time than the week to get a proper feel for it. the filming was so tiring but overall we had fun doing it and got on with the team back then, we went to tasmania my husband is a stonemason it has just been replayed in Norway!. After coming home we had another baby who is almost 2, we finally got our selves into gear and fly out on the 16th of june arrggghh!

Hi Cass73,

I am dreading watching the show back. I am normally not a teary person but they were really pushing my buttons at times. I was the same - I enjoyed it but was being honest in how I felt. It will be interesting watching how it has been edited!

How exciting! It is my birthday on 16th June so I will be thinking about you as you start your new adventure!

Good Luck!

Hi Debbie2302,

Snap - she is coming to see us on 1st June! It is all about editing as you say! My step daughter is 15 and by the time we go (waiting for visa so likely be towards end 2013) she will be nearly 17 so cannot force her to come. Very similar to you - they focused on that alot and Nicole was very upset watching the FF messages! Will be interesting to see how they play that one out on tv! And I am very close to my Mum, Bro and Nephew - so that is the main concern for me.

Thankfully Nicole has agreed to come with us to try it and has agreed she will stay for at least 12 months. I think she just needs to come and will love it when she gets there! I can understand how you feel though.

We would like to go back and nosy around other places but lack of money and time - it is unlikely. Think it will be Queensland we go to - but depends on job opportunities for me really!

When are you thinking of going?

Guest Tracey72

My hubby has a sponsor that has done 457 visa for us and took 2 weeks after submitting all info and now going in July to Perth. Try and find a sponsor if poss and good luck!!

Well we would like to go this year if I can persuade the two girls to come, being 16 you know what they are like and I couldn't leave them here, even though I'm leaving my 25 yr old daughter and 22 mth old granddaughter. Really need to go before they start their A levels, hubby is starting to look for work and maybe if he finds something we will give them the option to come for two years and if they dont like it they can come back. Just wish we had made the decision to move years ago when the children were young and we wouldn't be facing these problems.

Hi Debbie,

Kids can be a nightmare! I know the feeling. Moving previously was not an option for us due to our age (we are young parents compared to Nicole's age!) and the fact I was at Uni. However, it is something I have always wanted to do and want to go before I do get too settled and not want to move due to having kids etc etc. Although it would have broken my heart, if Nicole did not want to come we were still going to go and she would have stayed with OH parents. Not ideal but cannot force her to go when she is nearly 17 and then when do we go... when she finishes Uni etc when it is likely she would be studying outwith our area etc anyhow. Sounds harsh - although I love her so much, I just feel we all only have 1 life and we need to try things in order to live with no regrets. I would rather go to oz and it does not work out and come back to UK rather than never going at all. Nicole understood this.

Also, I am proud of her opinions on Oz as it means myself and the OH have raised a confident young woman who is able to express her own feelings and thoughts - which is surely not a bad thing. we raise children for them to make their own way in the world but that doesn't mean the parents should not have the same chances.

Thankfully Nicole is coming but I can relate to how you feel with your family to how I feel about my family. I speak to my Mum approx 3/4 times each day and spend alot of time with my 6 year old nephew (who I consider to be my child also!) and I know it will kill me not seeing/speaking to them all the time BUT I think my own family unit will benefit from the move and I need to focus on that - or else I will kill myself with the guilt of it all!

How did you find your producers on WDU? Our one was great but could be a pain after awhile! It was always one more take! We never got to see houses we actually asked for despite them asking me a million questions about it in the UK! We were told Jan also - I will look out for you! x

Hi Davo1

Drunk and on your own is the best way to watch i worked in Parliament and it was shown on the monitors all over the place i also got stopped in sainsburys a couple of times. I think they chose us because we are the only family that has gone to tasmania and i think they were a litttle upset at the lack of tears on the freinds and family bit.

hope its not painfull for you to watch and remember alcohol could be a really ggod friend that day !

cass

Hi Debbie,

Kids can be a nightmare! I know the feeling. Moving previously was not an option for us due to our age (we are young parents compared to Nicole's age!) and the fact I was at Uni. However, it is something I have always wanted to do and want to go before I do get too settled and not want to move due to having kids etc etc. Although it would have broken my heart, if Nicole did not want to come we were still going to go and she would have stayed with OH parents. Not ideal but cannot force her to go when she is nearly 17 and then when do we go... when she finishes Uni etc when it is likely she would be studying outwith our area etc anyhow. Sounds harsh - although I love her so much, I just feel we all only have 1 life and we need to try things in order to live with no regrets. I would rather go to oz and it does not work out and come back to UK rather than never going at all. Nicole understood this.

Also, I am proud of her opinions on Oz as it means myself and the OH have raised a confident young woman who is able to express her own feelings and thoughts - which is surely not a bad thing. we raise children for them to make their own way in the world but that doesn't mean the parents should not have the same chances.

Thankfully Nicole is coming but I can relate to how you feel with your family to how I feel about my family. I speak to my Mum approx 3/4 times each day and spend alot of time with my 6 year old nephew (who I consider to be my child also!) and I know it will kill me not seeing/speaking to them all the time BUT I think my own family unit will benefit from the move and I need to focus on that - or else I will kill myself with the guilt of it all!

How did you find your producers on WDU? Our one was great but could be a pain after awhile! It was always one more take! We never got to see houses we actually asked for despite them asking me a million questions about it in the UK! We were told Jan also - I will look out for you! x

Sorry for the late reply Davo1, our producers were fantastic but really hard work, didnt give in and kept pushing us until we said what they wanted to hear (for good tv viewing I suppose). I wouldnt have given up the opportunity for anything but then saying that I wouldnt do it again, didnt realise how hard and tiring it was going to be.

Well too late now, we will have to see how they make us all look, good I hope, but hey ho, cant change it now, it all over and done with.

Debbie

xx

Hi there

We've just recieved our visa sub-class 175. We're a family of four. It was lodged online on 24 August 2011 and was awarded 9 May 2012. It could have gone about 2 or 3 weeks quicker if I had been able to get my meds and police checks done quicker. The big delay I had was waiting for a Case Officer, but once I had one it went quite quickly. I had my skills assessment and IELTS done before I lodged my application, and did not use an agent to go through the process as I fealt it was fairly straight forward. My sister who is in Melbourne now took about the same time about 5 years ago, as is the case with my cousin who got her visa about a 2 years ago.

good luck

Cheers

Queuball

Hi Queuball,

Thanks for the info. I am sitting the IELTS on Saturday and am waiting for my skills/work experience to be assessed and should have all this back in order to submit application by mud june. Should I fail my IELTS we will just have to apply after 1st and see what happens.

When are you hoping to move? Where are you going?

Archived