Do we need a Landline for Internet Access ?

mwgster

Hi

I am trying to work out the most cost effective way of getting internet access along with telephone access.

As the wife and I will not have any family etc if we get out to Oz, we thought maybe a mobile each instead of getting a landline/telephone as we would in the UK.

We could of course opt for a wireless dongle, but costs probably would not be great along with download/upload speeds. I see that on new builds in particular you can have fibre optic to the house!! But can this be done without having to have a landline also ? i.e. a fibre optic connection just for internet usage without having a landline for telephone calling?!?!? Just dont see the point of having a landline as we would need a mobile each.. However, we would want reliable internet connection at home for work and skyping etc.

Any suggestions or ideas on prices would be much appreciated.

Martin :biggrin:

Internet reception depends on where you will be living. A lot of new builds which are rented do not have any connection and you have to rely on wireless. Some estates in Melbourne its not possible to get fixed line internet as all the spots have been taken on the exchanges. Some areas have bad wireless connections. I suggest you join the Whirlpool site and when you know where you will be living assess what would be best for you.

We have adsl2 but again this is only on some exchanges and if you live at the outer limits of an exchange is not available.

My daughter lives in central Melbourne and her internet dongle reception is woeful.

Hi

I am trying to work out the most cost effective way of getting internet access along with telephone access.

As the wife and I will not have any family etc if we get out to Oz, we thought maybe a mobile each instead of getting a landline/telephone as we would in the UK.

We could of course opt for a wireless dongle, but costs probably would not be great along with download/upload speeds. I see that on new builds in particular you can have fibre optic to the house!! But can this be done without having to have a landline also ? i.e. a fibre optic connection just for internet usage without having a landline for telephone calling?!?!? Just dont see the point of having a landline as we would need a mobile each.. However, we would want reliable internet connection at home for work and skyping etc.

Any suggestions or ideas on prices would be much appreciated.

Martin :biggrin:

We have internet access but do not have a landline.

You do need to check out the specific address to see what is available though as Petals mentions.

I have an unlocked mobile on Lycamobile and its cheap and as my brother is a telco person know it uses the Telstra network, Its pay as you go and I use it for stuff around the city.

If you want to go into the countryside though you really need a Telstra 3G mobile as it has the best coverage and we have those as well.

• 2 weeks later...
We do not have a land line. Just mobiles and an iPad with a pay as you go sim. We normally put $29 on and it lasts at least 6 weeks of heavy use.

Does that include Skype and Facetalk?

Or is that just browsing and Facebook etc?

Thanks

Does that include Skype and Facetalk?

Or is that just browsing and Facebook etc?

Thanks

Skype video chat and things like YT will eat up on a dongle. My MIL uses on the Skype with us and she has to top up after a few chats or get charged for going over. But it's not too bad I guess if you consider the money saved on a landline?

O and other down side is they can often be crappy speed and cut out. Depends where you are from an exchange and signal strength etc.

Archived