Positives and negatives of living in Hobart/Tasmania

Guest scotsman72

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah... Maybe not, have lost 10+kg (of far, far too many) since being in Australia, but still at the point where I wouldn't take bets on a car with me in it reaching the top.....

No worries - we have special tanks for the abundant, well fed American tourists off cruise ships during the summer season.:wink:

Guest canadiantooz

Thanks everyone for your comments. It is so encouraging to see that most people are enjoying their stay in Tassie. We are going to arrive in Hobart on May 31 and getting so excited. Finding the job would be a real challenge but I am willing to take it to ensure we settle in Tassie.

We would be staying in a short term rental for first few weeks and internet over there is not that good. Can somone please advise which company offers broadband internet stick (USB one) to hook to my laptop? Also, where can I buy this in Hobart.

Your input is greatly appreciated.

Cheers

We would be staying in a short term rental for first few weeks and internet over there is not that good. Can somone please advise which company offers broadband internet stick (USB one) to hook to my laptop? Also, where can I buy this in Hobart.

Cheers

Telstra do these for a reasonable price although the reception is hit and miss. I got mine from Phone Zone on Elizabeth St but the Telstra shop in the Cat & Fiddle arcade (also on Elizabeth St) also do them. I think a $30 dongle will be 2GB and have an expiry date of a month.

Guest canadiantooz

Thanks a lot runslikeafish. Could you please also advise the best mobile carrier for pre-paid SIM / card and the place to buy this.

Cheers,

Thanks a lot runslikeafish. Could you please also advise the best mobile carrier for pre-paid SIM / card and the place to buy this.

Cheers,

Exactly the same. Telstra from the shops mentioned. You may get cheaper than Telstra but the coverage is less good.

...although Telstra coverage isn't exactly brilliant mind!

I agree with RLAF's advice. All mobile coverage can be patchy here - partly because of the hilly/mountainous terrain and partly because the provision of infrastructure hasn't kept pace with the demand. But experience suggests that you will have the best coverage with Telstra.

Guest Tiggery

Hi Mrs Bear rules here, I currently work on critical care at calvary hospital. My job wasnt advertised but my CV was sent and I got an email to set up a phone interview within a couple of days. Its always worth a shot, hope it helps.

Sam

• 3 weeks later...

Hello

Myself and my OH are moving to Tas in October. I have never been, but have always felt drawn to the Island. OH has been, but only for a short period of time, when he was living in Brisbane. I often look on a few housing websites - http://www.realestate.com.au, http://www.domain.com.au which would give you more of an idea of what type of heating systems houses have.

Just to be nosy - where in Lancs are you? We are just outside of Preston.

• 4 weeks later...
Guest scotsman72

Hi especially Skani and Fluffy

Sorry I haven't been on the thread especially since you have been very helpful into your responses to my questions. Been really busy - had to go up to Scotland for a family emergency - everything is okay up there now. I have also not seen any nursing vacancies for A&E on the internet for Tas so got a bit down-hearted. I have started looking again recently but not seen anything :(.

Thanks

Guest scotsman72

Hi Fonsie

Sorry I have just come back on the thread after about 6 weeks away. We live in Lancashire too - near Rawtenstall. My OH is an A&E nurse in Bury and we are looking for similar jobs in Tas.

I have also not seen any nursing vacancies for A&E on the internet for Tas so got a bit down-hearted. I have started looking again recently but not seen anything :(.

Thanks

I would follow Tiggery's suggestion above: send a CV even if jobs are not advertised, to Calvary Hospital, Hobart Private Hospital and the Royal Hobart Hospital.

Hi Fonsie

Sorry I have just come back on the thread after about 6 weeks away. We live in Lancashire too - near Rawtenstall. My OH is an A&E nurse in Bury and we are looking for similar jobs in Tas.

No worries - we are on holiday in Scotland at the moment and internet is a bit hit and miss. With regards to work as a nurse, I would give the same advise to send your CV's directly to the employer. From what I know about employment (I worked in a jobcentre for 9 years), over 50% of vacancies are never advertised. After about 4 weeks of sending your CV, if you haven't heard anything, follow it up with a phone call. Nothing to lose!

We are just outside Preston.

Good luck!

Aly

• 1 year later...

Hi all, I know this is an old thread, but my family and I moved to Tasmania especially for the cold climate and un heated homes. I worked as a contractor for British Gas for ten years as well as my own work. My speciality as known down here in Australia Hydronic Heating (central heating) so if you are cold this winter, do contact me. http://www.hydronichome.com.au

im here to warm up Tasmania. Normal Plumbers down here don't seem to know what they are doing with heating down here. So forget heat pumps and wood fires. Lets see how we can warm you up.

Hi all, I know this is an old thread, but my family and I moved to Tasmania especially for the cold climate and un heated homes. I worked as a contractor for British Gas for ten years as well as my own work. My speciality as known down here in Australia Hydronic Heating (central heating) so if you are cold this winter, do contact me. www.hydronichome.com.au

im here to warm up Tasmania. Normal Plumbers down here don't seem to know what they are doing with heating down here. So forget heat pumps and wood fires. Lets see how we can warm you up.

Finally! I wish you all the best with your business, we have been in Tas for just over 6 months and as winter started, I have discussed with friends 'why doesn't someone put central heating into homes here'.

Well done.

Hi all, I know this is an old thread, but my family and I moved to Tasmania especially for the cold climate and un heated homes. I worked as a contractor for British Gas for ten years as well as my own work. My speciality as known down here in Australia Hydronic Heating (central heating) so if you are cold this winter, do contact me. www.hydronichome.com.au

Finally! I wish you all the best with your business, we have been in Tas for just over 6 months and as winter started, I have discussed with friends 'why doesn't someone put central heating into homes here'.

Well done.

Well done.

We put it into a house we bought in 1979 but it worked off the combustion stove in the kitchen.

Tried to click on your link yesterday, Kev, but it said "account suspended".

We put it into a house we bought in 1979 but it worked off the combustion stove in the kitchen.

Tried to click on your link yesterday, Kev, but it said "account suspended".

Hi Skani

I had the same problem with the link.

We used to have a combustion stove in the uk - a cheaper version of an Aga. Loved it - it heated the whole house and all the hot water.

"Hydronic Wall Panels"..... or "radiators"?? Am I missing something or are they the same thing?! When I was living in Tas I couldn't believe no one had Central Heating! You will be a revelation! I love wood heaters but once you go out of that room it's blummin freezing! I will have trouble convincing my Tasmanian husband though! LOL! The poms couldn't possibly come up with a good idea in his eyes!

"Hydronic Wall Panels"..... or "radiators"?? Am I missing something or are they the same thing?!

What we had were hydronic heaters, attached to the wall in all the rooms and fed by hot water heated by the combustion stove.

Some people called them panels and others radiators. Don't know if there is an official difference in the industry, though.