Is it worth shiping your stuff?

Yes it is worth it, the cost of container would be far less than the replacement value of furniture and belongings for most people. A 20ft costs maye £4k and a 40ft maye £5-6k. We used Allied Pickfords, but really they are all much of muchness, call three of the big ones and go with cheapest.

Yes Ship everything, I thing you are looking at around £3000 for a sole use container but that is nothing when you have to start replacing stuff. We didn't bring everthing and kind of regret it now. we have used Amart for furniture and Kmart for homeware which are the cheap'o shops. I shared a container and as a result of that I still am waiting for my stuff that left my house in the U.K on the 8th Feb. not impressed. Also make sure you get every company you consider round to quote as we didn't, we just took the word of a few co's and then phoned asking how much xxcubic mtrs would cost when they came to collect the stuff they said we had double what we had paid for and had to decide what to leave. not nice. would I use the co I used again. I'll tell you when my stuff arrives. Unless you want to know now......... then you will have to P.M me, cos I would never name and shame.

Guest tandcmum

we have brought over hardly anything with us, to be fair our funriture was so old and tatty it wouldn't have survived the journey, howevwer we are now looking at furnishing a house and although you can get some good value stuff it is such a daunting prospect knowing we have absolutely nothing. We have got some boxes arriving which have some bits and pieces in, stuff like computer, tv, ps3, ornaments, bedding, towels but no actual furniture. The only issue with shipping everything is survivng without your stuff at one end or the other. We sold all our furniture so we only had a few days sitting and sleeping on the floor before we flew, but we have a months accomodation here before we move into our own place and then we will still have another month to wait before our boxes arrive so if we had sent our furniture we would be on the floor again. If yiu can co-ordinate it to stay in a holiday rental for 3 months till your stuff arrives then bring everything.

This link looks a good bet, I was thinking about using them myself but ive decided to just sell most and buy when I get there, second hand is cheap nowadays anyway...

http://www.shareacontainer.co.uk/

Where can you get second hand cheap? I have really struggled. But I was looking for specific stuff - like dark wood chests of drawers and besides. Really struggled to find anything on gumtree etc. I would've bought it all from my town's facebook group in the UK for peanuts if I'd known.

Our furniture is too old to bother taking but we are going to get second hand furniture once we land as its cheaper than buying new. Hey, one spilt drink and the sofas old anyways.

PSS were really expensive but we are using Doree Bonner when the time comes, £2200 for contents of 3 bed house apart from sofa, dining table and our double bed.

Pickfords were very close on price but we chose Doree Bonner as preferred their agent who came.

I would ship anything thats in good cond as it is expensive over there and you do have to wait for your stuff. Good luck!

Guest Lizwiz

Hi there ... I am new on here so this is my first post. We are in the final stages of sorting out our house and I keep changing my mind whether to ship stuff or not. We are moving beg of July so really need to make a decision! We have had a cost for a 40 foot cube from Anglo to include our car at £8,100 and a 20 foot container with crown at £5,100 ... We have a really nice pool dining table table and new king size bed and leather couch which cost a lot new but the rest of our stuff is 5-10 years old and I would prob be replacing in a year or 2 anyway. Have decided against the car after reading various threads on here ... Waiting for pickfords but genuinely think that by the time we have paid for a holiday let for a couple of months whilst our stuff is on route which will be double the cost of normal rent we would be better to replace over in oz but equally it would be lovely to have our own stuff sound us so we feel at home. . . This is by far the biggest dilemma ! Any advice would be appreciated!

FWIW there are lots of threads on this and you can always take a peek at those aswell and see what peoples thoughts were :)

Yes I would ship everything that you can cram into a 20ft container. Everything here is more expensive than the UK. We used John Masons and they were very good. Our container took 2 and half days to pack and a few days after they left our house it was on a ship to Brisbane. It only took about six/seven weeks to get here. Oh and it cost about £3,600.

• 3 months later...
Guest melanie79

hi tandcmum,

im looking to send over a few boxes like yourself. no big pieces of furniture, but bits & pieces. would you minf pm me with a bit more info like the company you used, rough price etc. many thanks mel

[

QUOTE=tandcmum;1935816708]we have brought over hardly anything with us, to be fair our funriture was so old and tatty it wouldn't have survived the journey, howevwer we are now looking at furnishing a house and although you can get some good value stuff it is such a daunting prospect knowing we have absolutely nothing. We have got some boxes arriving which have some bits and pieces in, stuff like computer, tv, ps3, ornaments, bedding, towels but no actual furniture. The only issue with shipping everything is survivng without your stuff at one end or the other. We sold all our furniture so we only had a few days sitting and sleeping on the floor before we flew, but we have a months accomodation here before we move into our own place and then we will still have another month to wait before our boxes arrive so if we had sent our furniture we would be on the floor again. If yiu can co-ordinate it to stay in a holiday rental for 3 months till your stuff arrives then bring everything.

Archived