Rent, church and clothes

apickerell

Hello, So in 10 weeks my family and I are going to be moving to Canberra on a 457 visa. Just waiting for it to go through

got a couple of questions

1. What is the best way to get a rental in canberra from overseas. my boss said she would go look at rentals for us but we dont know if tat would help or not. We need at least a 2-3 bedroom house or apartment as we have 2 children.

2. We are non denominational christian. Does anyone know of a good church that is spirit filled and has a good childrens program

3. if we fly into sydney becuase it is cheaper is there a train we could take to canberra? I have heard there was but I am not sure.

4. How decent are prices for clothing? WE live in Mauritius where there is no winter lol. well not really. ( I am from the states so I am used to the cold. ) Is there a walmart, kmart, target? anything like that?

Sorry about the random questions! Just lots to think about! thanks!

:wink::goofy::tongue:

Hi there,

It'll be difficult to find a rental from overseas as you have to view a place before you can apply for it, you can have a representative view it for you though so while your boss could do it, I don't know if I'd like somebody else to choose my home for me.

I can't comment on churches sorry but the best public transport from Sydney Airport would be Murrays Coaches at around $30 each, we have a few Kmarts, BigW's & Target and also a Costco & plenty of others so no shopping problems - I don't know what to say about prices though, seem ok to me.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest boothy

Hi there

Hoping these help:

1. What is the best way to get a rental in canberra from overseas. my boss said she would go look at rentals for us but we dont know if tat would help or not. We need at least a 2-3 bedroom house or apartment as we have 2 children.

Check out http://www.allhomes.com.au/ah/act/rent-residential - everyone uses this website to find a rental.

It's hard to do it from overseas as Catherine says, as you have to view the property before you can submit an application. It may be easier if you can find one on this site that is a private renter? If your boss does find one for you and puts in an application on your behalf just maake sure that you make it clear in the application that you have a job and a regular income in Canberra as this is what the owner will be looking for when picking a renter. Also, make sure you submit references. We hadn't rented before so we included references from our mortage company in the UK and also references from some friends in Australia. We managed to complete everything via email from the UK and picked up the keys on arrival. Our rent started though before we arrived so you also need to consider this.

2. We are non denominational christian. Does anyone know of a good church that is spirit filled and has a good childrens program

Sorry, don't know too much about this but check out http://www.australianchurches.net/ http://www.reformed.org.au/ http://www.canberra-ccc.org/rejoice/?min=english&pg=articleViewer&artid=2010-01-27--112539

3. if we fly into sydney becuase it is cheaper is there a train we could take to canberra? I have heard there was but I am not sure.

As Catherine says, by far the quickest way other than flying is to catch a Murrays coach, it's cheap and really convienient as it stops right outside the international terminal. They depart every hour or so and drop you off right in the centre of Canberra - here's the link - http://www.murrays.com.au/

4. How decent are prices for clothing? WE live in Mauritius where there is no winter lol. well not really. ( I am from the states so I am used to the cold. ) Is there a walmart, kmart, target? anything like that?

We have Target, KMart and a few others like Big W. We also have Costco. They are all over so you won't have any trouble

Hope this helps and good luck

Sam

• 4 weeks later...
Hello, So in 10 weeks my family and I are going to be moving to Canberra on a 457 visa. Just waiting for it to go through

Hi there, there seem to be a number of good churches (many more than you would find in the UK, for example). I think your choice may be impacted on which side of town you end up living, as it can be up to a 40 min or so drive to the other side of town so if you want to get involved in weekly mid-week bible studies etc. that may impact your choice. So far I would say I've enjoyed attending Fusion (based in Palmerston) and Crossroads (two very different services on a Sun in venues near Civic) plus maybe try one of the smaller Baptist / Baptist offshoot ones scattered around. Colleagues of mine also recommend the Charnwood and Dickson based more charasmatic school venue-based churches (can't remember their names off hand, but I could find out).

All the best with the move!

I am a Catholic and I will say that a Christian school is important to me. It is hard to find spaces in Catholic schools but, I would be happy enough sending my children to a school with a solid Christian underpinning.

It is nice to see people put importance in their worship nowadays. In an ever faster changing world, it is not a bad thing to keep something anchored down. It is becoming quite rare. Best of luck with the move.

All the best with your move!

Hi - very hard to find rental unless you are here yourself to look at it and book it. We may have a 3 bed furnished house for you to use for short term whilst you look for something - it is in Melba. pm me if you are interested.

Archived