Recording non-Foxtel programmes

Bridgeman

In the UK we had Sky which also included all the 'normal' main TV programmes (BBC1, ITV etc) so recording just involved using the Sky+ box.

Here in Oz we have Foxtel, multi room, ours is the multi room TV and box as we are in our daughter's house and she has the main Foxtel box. We can record Foxtel on the box but Channel 7 and the like are not on Foxtel and OH sometimes wants to record programmes from these channels (don't ask!). My query is how to do this? Do we need a DVD recorder? And do we need to get a set-top box as well? I understand that the digital TV recorder of the kind available in the UK with a TV tuner is not available in Oz. Not sure how this will all tie in with the Foxtel box.

In the UK we had Sky which also included all the 'normal' main TV programmes (BBC1, ITV etc) so recording just involved using the Sky+ box.

Here in Oz we have Foxtel, multi room, ours is the multi room TV and box as we are in our daughter's house and she has the main Foxtel box. We can record Foxtel on the box but Channel 7 and the like are not on Foxtel and OH sometimes wants to record programmes from these channels (don't ask!). My query is how to do this? Do we need a DVD recorder? And do we need to get a set-top box as well? I understand that the digital TV recorder of the kind available in the UK with a TV tuner is not available in Oz. Not sure how this will all tie in with the Foxtel box.

Same where I am too, no commercial TV channels are aired on Foxtel. I have a dvd recorder to record non Foxtel channels. Are you using a UK TV or an Oz digital TV?? Most recorders now are digital ready so it should be just a case of connecting it up and away you go. You'll just need to alternate between the Foxtel input and the dvd input channels on your TV.

Can record non Foxtel programmes as well on the box.

Only in certain cities. Foxtel do not offer free to air channels across the country, as the local channels would be expected to pay Foxtel for the privilege. Also, in Canberra TransACT (the only alternative to Foxtel here) own the rights to show the free to air stuff.

Same where I am too, no commercial TV channels are aired on Foxtel. I have a dvd recorder to record non Foxtel channels. Are you using a UK TV or an Oz digital TV?? Most recorders now are digital ready so it should be just a case of connecting it up and away you go. You'll just need to alternate between the Foxtel input and the dvd input channels on your TV.

Thanks, we have a new Oz tv, bought about 4 months ago; so looks like we need to get a DVD recorder then.

Thanks, we have a new Oz tv, bought about 4 months ago; so looks like we need to get a DVD recorder then.

You can pick up Digital Ready recorders quite cheap, have you considered a hard drive recorder instead of a DVD recorder? I bought my 76 year old mother one and after I set it up and gave her some basic instruction she was able to use it easily, beats having to buy blank dvd's and some you can insert a thumb drive and play anything from it onto the TV, so you can load up a thumb drive from your PC, pictures, photo's and music and play it through your TV.

If you have Foxtel, I might wait a month or two if you can bear to.

The reason I say this is that Foxtel have recently completed negotiations to buy Austar, the satellite based company that previously sold in the regions while Foxtel stuck to the main capitals.

Austar's PVR boxes DO record local free to air channels (a feature I quite like). At this stage, looking at an industry DTV forum, they're still working out what's going to happen to the hardware out there--and at least one rumour is that Foxtel will change to the ability to record FTA channels as well as the satellite stuff. As I said, all is conjecture and rumour now--but things may change in the next few months (I believe the deal finalises in late May).

Failing that, there are lots of PVRs on the market. The two favoured brands (on the same DTV forum) are Topfield and TIVO--but, being an Austar customer, I have no personal experience of either.

• 3 weeks later...

I got a 1TB PVR about a month ago and it has made Australian free to air TV watchable where it was not before (My opinion). I just intellient record anything that takes my fancy and watch it later skipping any ads. You still have to sit with the remote control in your hand coz theres so many ads to fast foreward. Channel 7 is the worst offender and also always overruns making it difficult to record stuff. But for the sake of an initial outlay on the PVR it has already saved me enough money to purchase 2 DVD blu -ray box sets of my favourite shows to watch at my leisure :-)

This thread just reminded me to check I'd recorded all my fave shows, mostly from HBO, and also mostly on Tuesday nights. I successfully recorded two episodes each of 'Spartacus Blood and Sand', 'Sons of Anarchy', and 'Girls' - that last one is a new series (for OZ) but I forgot to record 'Game of Thrones' and I found one of the repeats tomorrow so I've set that up.

I can't watch 'Free to Air' thru my Foxtel but my brother can. I'm sure that you just have to pay Foxtel a bit more but when I first subscribed I thought the engineer just told me I could not have it. I'll have to ask my brother if he can record the free to air stuff thru his Foxtel box.

Apart from 'Shameless' on SBS 1 and the odd footie game I never watch free to air anyway.

I can't watch 'Free to Air' thru my Foxtel but my brother can. I'm sure that you just have to pay Foxtel a bit more but when I first subscribed I thought the engineer just told me I could not have it. I'll have to ask my brother if he can record the free to air stuff thru his Foxtel box.

Some places you can some places you can't, here in WA it isn't possible to watch free to air channels through the Foxtel box. Now they have joined forces with Austar it may change in the future but for the moment it's no.

Only in certain cities. Foxtel do not offer free to air channels across the country, as the local channels would be expected to pay Foxtel for the privilege. Also, in Canberra TransACT (the only alternative to Foxtel here) own the rights to show the free to air stuff.

this is true, here in WA, I asked foxtel how I could get free channels & they said, i cant via foxtel!!

Archived