Any UK Clinical Psychologists out there?!

ztjt2003

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all,

I am finding the whole process a bit stressful! I have been in contact with a not for profit organisation that liked my CV, but did not have the capacity to carry out the supervision requirements for the transitional programme. Even if they did, i think the fact I do not have a medicare provider number would be a problem, as they bulk bill everyone… I have started applying for government/public health jobs now. I'm not working at the moment, but have enough to live on for a while - so I was quite happy until today, when I got an email from AHPRA asking for a reply - by return of email - asking me for the current status of arranging employment and a supervision agreement with a board approved supervisor. My rational head tells me it is a routine email, and they want to make sure I'm not working without having told them; but part of me now feels stressed and under pressure!

I also looked at the psychology board supervisors - I may also contact them to set up a placement if i don't get any luck with jobs. How are things going with you Natalie?

Hello,

Here's an update a couple of months down the line for those pursuing a similar path..... I've responded to two job adverts (for Clinical Psychologists) in private practices so far in Perth WA. Both sounded keen - they replied within a few hours, said I had the qualifications and experience they were looking for, and that they had board approved supervisors (required for the Transitional Programme). However, upon looking into Provisional Registration and the Transitional Programme it was noted that under Provisional Registration I would not be eligible for a Medicare Provider Number, which was (as one potential employer eloquently put it) a 'sticking point'.

So, mixed news I think? People seem keen, but need to find a way to make the Transitional Programme work. I've now offered to work voluntarily for one of the above employers for the 3 month Transitional Programme to counter-balance the inconvenience, and am waiting to hear back. Alternatively, I guess practices with fewer Medicare referrals (do these practices exist?) might be able to meet the requirements. I assume that the state sector is entirely out of reach as it would all be Medicare?

I had a quick look at Internships on the Psychology Board of Australia website, and they recommend contacting supervisors directly to set up placements. However, the requirements for an Internship look more substantial than what is required of the Transitional Programme, and I was a little unsure as to what I would ask. But this looks like the next step if I don't get any further responding to job adverts.

I'd be very happy to hear that somebody else has already navigated this system, found a willing employer and is now happily working - any takers?!

Natalie

Hi all,

I am finding the whole process a bit stressful! I have been in contact with a not for profit organisation that liked my CV, but did not have the capacity to carry out the supervision requirements for the transitional programme. Even if they did, i think the fact I do not have a medicare provider number would be a problem, as they bulk bill everyone… I have started applying for government/public health jobs now. I'm not working at the moment, but have enough to live on for a while - so I was quite happy until today, when I got an email from AHPRA asking for a reply - by return of email - asking me for the current status of arranging employment and a supervision agreement with a board approved supervisor. My rational head tells me it is a routine email, and they want to make sure I'm not working without having told them; but part of me now feels stressed and under pressure!

I also looked at the psychology board supervisors - I may also contact them to set up a placement if i don't get any luck with jobs. How are things going with you Natalie?

Hello,

Sorry to hear you're finding it stressful. Hopefully (as you say), public sector jobs will work out better, and approaching supervisors directly is still a good alternative, I think!

As I'm not in Australia yet, my experience may not be a fair reflection - I'd hope that you being in Australia (and able to meet people face-to-face) would help? I've had one private practice say that they are keen to 'work out how we could do this [i.e. transitional programme and lack of medicare provider number - they mentioned the possibility of me seeing EAP referrals only] - I'll get back to you' (they haven't, and I'll leave it a polite time before chasing!). Another practice has said that they would not employ somebody under provisional registration. The last practice I applied to has advised me to contact them again when I'm closer to arriving in Perth (so, August). WA has a public sector jobs freeze at the moment, so that's not an option.

From what I remember reading, you have the whole year of your provisional registration to find a transitional programme, and AHPRA will review this when they renew your membership. So, unless your year is nearly complete, I guess you should be ok to still look? Alternatively, is it worth feeding back to AHPRA your/our experiences just to keep them informed that their requirements are making things a little bit challenging?

Natalie

Hello,

Sorry to hear you're finding it stressful. Hopefully (as you say), public sector jobs will work out better, and approaching supervisors directly is still a good alternative, I think!

As I'm not in Australia yet, my experience may not be a fair reflection - I'd hope that you being in Australia (and able to meet people face-to-face) would help? I've had one private practice say that they are keen to 'work out how we could do this [i.e. transitional programme and lack of medicare provider number - they mentioned the possibility of me seeing EAP referrals only] - I'll get back to you' (they haven't, and I'll leave it a polite time before chasing!). Another practice has said that they would not employ somebody under provisional registration. The last practice I applied to has advised me to contact them again when I'm closer to arriving in Perth (so, August). WA has a public sector jobs freeze at the moment, so that's not an option.

From what I remember reading, you have the whole year of your provisional registration to find a transitional programme, and AHPRA will review this when they renew your membership. So, unless your year is nearly complete, I guess you should be ok to still look? Alternatively, is it worth feeding back to AHPRA your/our experiences just to keep them informed that their requirements are making things a little bit challenging?

Natalie

Hi everyone

i feel your pain after doing this a year ago!! I was lucky then as I just scraped through before the exam.

i think I said earlier I work in a private practice. I spoke to my boss who owns the practice and as there is a shortage of good clin psychs he said he would not be put off by the supervision requirement. However, you have to be registered with medicare either as a general psych or clinical psych to be able to provide services where clients get a medicare rebate, which pretty much most do, although there are some who pay outright or use private health insurance. So it may mean working for someone getting experience on supervisors cases. With medicare a psychologist can't use their number and allow someone training to see the client, so you would have to be in the room with a registered psychologist managing the case. I don't know how that fits with how much autonomy AHPRA require for the 3 months but I suspect it would be ok. It is probably worth contacting private practices and asking if they would have you on placement for 3 months knowing that you would work for them after this period. My boss said he would do this (if anyone wants Melbourne!).

the public system is like our NHS CAMHS and AMHS teams, it's very similar. My understanding is that's where trainees go on placement so I imagine you could get 3 months supervision in one of those teams. Look for "medicare local services" in each council area. Some of the youth services in victoria are called headspace, not sure if that's their name in other Australia States.

Look on psych recruitment and seek for clin psych jobs then ring them and ask if they would consider you as you are an experienced clin psych but need the 3 months supervision. I bet some would. I still have people ringing me about jobs I enquirer about a year ago.

hope this helps. As I said of anyone is heading to Melbourne give me a shout, we are interested in someone starting this year but may wait till next year too

zoe

• 3 weeks later...
Hi Zoe,

Hey ...that sounds interesting. I am coming over to Melbourne in September and am looking for an employer to help me with my transitional programme. I will contact you in more detail about it.

Deirbhile

Great, send me a PM with your email address and I can tell you a bit more about the practice and give you the website. If lathing else I'm always happy to help with knowledge about Melbourne if you don't know it already!

zoe

• 3 weeks later...

Ok, some positive news...... I have been offered a job (as a Clinical Psychologist - not a fruit picker, which I was beginning to consider!) with a large nonprofit-making organisation in Perth WA. They say that the lack of medicare provider number is not a problem for them, and that they can provide board-approved supervisors. They were very flexible with Skype interviewing, and seemed generally enthusiastic about the prospect of employing somebody, despite not actually being in Australia yet. It's a job I'm really keen to do - so I haven't had to settle for something I wasn't happy with. So far so good, will let you know if I hit any hurdles.

So, I guess I'm saying there are organisations (or at least one!) out there that are not put off by the AHPRA conditions, in addition to the options already described by Zoe (state sector, private sector if they like your application enough/you're a 'good fit'). Hang in there and keep going - there is a shortage of Clin Psys out there, so logically there should be employers keen to make things work. Fingers crossed for everybody - and I will continue to follow this thread (hint hint to let everybody know how you all get on!).

Natalie

• 4 weeks later...

Nc1 that's really good news about your job. I am also in Perth and have had an equally challenging time as others with the new regulations. My experience has been that employers are very keen after receiving my job application and cv but definitely not interested in putting you through the programme. There are very few jobs advertised that don't ask for psychologists to have full registration and a very limited number of employers who don't use Medicare. I had one employer say they could put me through the programme but would be reluctant to as they thought I would leave when it was finished and did not offer me a job. The APS (professional advisory department) have been quite supportive in raising these issues with the psychology board and have put out a consultation paper this week about it. I would encourage all uk Clin psychs to get in touch with them. I am still job hunting and fighting the system...

Hi Ailey,

That's really interesting - do you have a link for the consultation paper? I am finding it equally hard in Brisbane!

Nc1 that's really good news about your job. I am also in Perth and have had an equally challenging time as others with the new regulations. My experience has been that employers are very keen after receiving my job application and cv but definitely not interested in putting you through the programme. There are very few jobs advertised that don't ask for psychologists to have full registration and a very limited number of employers who don't use Medicare. I had one employer say they could put me through the programme but would be reluctant to as they thought I would leave when it was finished and did not offer me a job. The APS (professional advisory department) have been quite supportive in raising these issues with the psychology board and have put out a consultation paper this week about it. I would encourage all uk Clin psychs to get in touch with them. I am still job hunting and fighting the system...

• 3 weeks later...

Query, I recently saw on the transitional programme section of the APHRA website a section entitled FAQs. I hadn't seen it before though AHPRA say it has been there since July 2013. In it there is the question 'how can I demonstrate substantially equivalent training etc without doing the transitional program?' The answer says exemptions will be considered on a case by case basis and with evidence and details of the training. Has anyone applied for an exemption? I think it is difficult to know what they would consider given that they already have the APS qualifications assessment, transcripts etc.

I don't know re: exemptions - I initially asked about this before applying, and was just sent the provisional registration and transitional program forms, and told to complete them. So, I assumed I wasn't eligible for an exemption. But it may be worth pursuing - especially with growing evidence that transitional programs are difficult to come by. I was also wondering whether the enquiring emails from AHPRA (I received one of these, as did you I think, ailey?) are evidence that not many transitional program forms are being submitted?

Hi

i know i applied before the transitional programme and exam was officially in for overseas applicants, for me it was sept 2012, but that was the same form I was sent except I was granted an exemption. I think the form is the same but whether or not they grant it may be different now.

Not aure if this helps?!

zoe

I don't know re: exemptions - I initially asked about this before applying, and was just sent the provisional registration and transitional program forms, and told to complete them. So, I assumed I wasn't eligible for an exemption. But it may be worth pursuing - especially with growing evidence that transitional programs are difficult to come by. I was also wondering whether the enquiring emails from AHPRA (I received one of these, as did you I think, ailey?) are evidence that not many transitional program forms are being submitted?

Hi, thanks for your replies. I wonder if the exemption info on the website has been added in response to the APS consultation paper and in relation to the difficulties with the system, though APHRA tell me it was been there since July 2013. Just I had never come across it before.... I have concluded that the system means overseas psychs are virtually unemployable and therefore it is very difficult to get a job with the programme in place.

Hi, thanks for your replies. I wonder if the exemption info on the website has been added in response to the APS consultation paper and in relation to the difficulties with the system, though APHRA tell me it was been there since July 2013. Just I had never come across it before.... I have concluded that the system means overseas psychs are virtually unemployable and therefore it is very difficult to get a job with the programme in place.

It's pretty tricky for home gown psychs to jump through the hoops too! I don't envy anyone trying to do it at the moment!

I agree Quoll, the system seems very difficult for Australian psychologists as well. I saw in a recent article by the APS that there are plans to start charging trainees for hospital placements and that graduates also have to sit the exam even if they are on accredited courses. It seems quite a punative system. I was really shocked when I saw the APS offering a stress management course for psychologists in relation to any stresses from their clinical practice and regsitration requirements.

I agree Quoll, the system seems very difficult for Australian psychologists as well. I saw in a recent article by the APS that there are plans to start charging trainees for hospital placements and that graduates also have to sit the exam even if they are on accredited courses. It seems quite a punative system. I was really shocked when I saw the APS offering a stress management course for psychologists in relation to any stresses from their clinical practice and regsitration requirements.

LOL, hadn't seen that! The registration process has caused more stress than anything since its inception! I'm glad I'm out of it!

• 6 months later...
Our migration agent tells us that they tend to pick you out of the EOI pool based on groups - the first four digits of your code - and that therefore 2723-99 and 2723-11 are equally likely to be selected to apply for a visa, so we've just gone with 272399... will see how that goes. Still have no idea what other clinical psychologists are doing - would be interesting to know.

Hi, I notice the original poster of this question never received a response, we are in a similar position and wondered if anyone can shed any light on this question?

Kind regards

Hi I'm new to this forum, I am about to start the process of getting my psychology qualifications approved for APS membership, is there anyone out there who knows if UK qualifications accredited by the BPS are accepted/ approved by the APS, I have a degree and masters, but the masters was only one year fulltime and not two years as the APS seems to prefer? Also has anyone had any difficulties getting recognition for an hons degree from the Open University?

Good luck everyone

Jackie

Hi, I notice the original poster of this question never received a response, we are in a similar position and wondered if anyone can shed any light on this question?

Kind regards

Kind regards

In answer to myself, we went in on the psychologists nec code 272399, with about 75 points, and got picked of the EOI list first time and granted a Visa within a month.

We've now been in Perth for six months. She got offered a job before we moved out but had a bit of a trial finding somewhere that didn't bill through Medicare and therefore could do the placement requirements.

She worked therefore not as a clinical psychologist to start with, but doing psychology work with a job title of Case Manager, but has now completed the placement, passed the exam (which she thought particularly hard due to them trying to convert what should have been complex answers into simple multiple choice answers), and got her accreditation accepted by AHPRA.

The main hurdle seems to have been finding an employer able to offer the transitional placement; once that was done, and the awkward exam done, the forms were a pain but just a case of working through them, and the contract at AHPRA was fairly good at responding to questions on e-mail. Certainly keep ask your records of your past training and work, course handbooks etc, since AHPRA require a surprising amount of historical info and although she didn't supply all of it (the CVs of her uni supervisors wasn't supplied) the fact she had most of it to hand was helpful.

So six months after arriving and 18 months after starting the ball rolling, she's now completed all the requirements, and her skills are very much in demand with the NHS training proving to be probably superior to Australia's equivalent despite all the hurdles!

Hope that helps, and good luck!

psy

• 3 weeks later...

Hi there

I am a UK registered counselling psychologist with the HPC. I have just spoken to a migration agent who has told me that in order to apply for a skilled independent visa I would not only need my qualifications recognised by the APS (which I was well aware of) but I would also need to be fully registered with AHPRA. From the research that I have done, I was not aware that this was the case. Can anyone advise? Would most appreciate any help or to hear about other's experiences.

Hi there

I am a UK registered counselling psychologist with the HPC. I have just spoken to a migration agent who has told me that in order to apply for a skilled independent visa I would not only need my qualifications recognised by the APS (which I was well aware of) but I would also need to be fully registered with AHPRA. From the research that I have done, I was not aware that this was the case. Can anyone advise? Would most appreciate any help or to hear about other's experiences.

You will definitely need to be registered with AHPRA to work as a psych so that may be what they're referring to. One would hope that the APS would be on the same page as AHPRA otherwise there'd not be much point in letting in a psych who couldn't work as a psych.

Hi everyone,

Just found this thread which is really helpful. I am a UK trained HCPC registered Clinical Psychologist who is planning on relocating to Australia in April next year. I have recently returned from a 3 month trip to Oz and am wanting to relocate there for at least 2 years. I would be relocating with my partner who is likely to have a sponsorship and I believe that I will also be able to work on this visa.

I have been looking into the process of transferring my qualification and feel that I am starting to get my head around the whole process. My main concern is the 3 month transitional programme - as I have seen discussed on here, it looks like it can be tricky to find a placement due to not being able to charge Medicare etc.

I would love to here from anyone who is currently going through or has gone through this process. It seems like it can be very difficult and long winded so any advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks.

• 3 months later...

Hi everyone. I completed my UK training as a Clinical Psychologist in 2005 and immigrated to Brisbane about 18mths ago. I am currently jumping hoops and completing my 'transitional programme'. I am particularly keen to chat with anyone who has sat the exam to find out the approach they took since it seems to want specific answers on scenarios where my first answer would be 'it depends'! Psymann, I'd be keen to speak with your partner if she'd be willing?

I'm happy to chat with anyone wanting further information about the transitional programme also.

thanks in advance

Hi WilliamsClarke. I am Psymann's partner. Happy to answer any questions on this thread or via PM.

The exam was - to be honest - challenging because multiple choice rarely does justice to tricky ethical dilemmas or assessment/intervention considerations. I was also unimpressed with the extent of the medical model (e.g. client x has the following symptoms, what is their diagnosis?), and I wondered if some of the answers actually contradicted the official APS guidelines, which I'd dutifully read. I'm all for evidence-based practice and consider myself to be more aligned to the medical model than some of my colleagues, but the exam took this, in my opinion, to a new level. AHPRA ensure that candidates sign a confidentiality agreement prior to taking the exam, so I'm not able to share much more info about the questions. However, I'm happy to share the material I used to prepare, if that helps.