Any UK Clinical Psychologists out there?!

ztjt2003

• 5 weeks later...

Hi All,

I am glad to have found this thread. I qualified as a clinical psychologist in the uk last year and currently work in the nhs. I have dual citizenship - was born in Oz and did my undergraduate degree there. I plan to move back in about a year and while I won't need to apply for a visa I am looking at how to get my qualifications recognised by both the APS and the AHPRA it seems. Given it seems like a long process I was thinking of applying soon however I wondered if waiting until I've had at least one years post qualification experience would improve the success of my application? What do people think? The idea of having to sit an exam and potentially have to do this transitional program is frustrating given all the work I've had to do to get accepted onto doctoral training over here! What do people think is the likelihood of this being the outcome? Your help and advice is really appreciated!!

Hi Annalouise -

I've just sat and passed the National Psychology Exam. Unfortunately you will need to complete a transitional programme including sitting the exam regardless of your years of experience (I qualified as a Clin Psych in UK in 2005) - 3 months is the minimum you would have to do. The issue I see is if you are less than two years qualified as this seems to be a minimum time of supervised practice required AFTER qualification needed in order to call yourself a clinical psychologist here. You'd be best to check the AHPRA website/contact them directly, but I would imagine your transitional programme would be longer without a few years experience post qualification or they might make you do something additional regarding supervised practice. AHPRA is a headache, time consuming, very frustrating and expensive - lots of hoops to jump, but I think the transitional programme is the most difficult to secure - everything else seems to be paperwork and waiting so far for me.

To to answer your other question, you can get the APS to assess your academic qualifications from the UK, which is a good idea as it can take sometime. However, you can't apply for provisional registration until you have a transitional programme in place (which would be fairly difficult without being in the country).

Hope this is helpful.

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks WilliamsClarke, this is really helpful. Sorry for the belated reply, I think I have been burying my head in the sand about how much I am going to have to do in relation to all this! I've had a closer look at the APS and AHPRA websites and feel clearer on what's required and yes a lot of patience seems key! I'm going to start by submitting an application to get my qualifications assessed by the APS as that appears to be the first step. I'm gathering all my paperwork now; they require copies of all degrees and transcripts and extracts of your dissertation, and a letter confirming registration with the governing body which in the UK is the HCPC, which is all fine. There is also provision to provide evidence of membership to other bodies like the British Psychological Society. I was a member of the BPS but let it lapse as have many psychologists over here because it is not mandatory to be a member as they are not the regulating body and you don't get that much out of it. Just wondered if you were a member of the BPS when you applied and if you think not being is likely to have any impact on the process?

In terms or getting provisional registration, you're right I'm definitely going to have to sit the exam and have some period of supervised practice. Any tips on locating a supervisor for this, obviously I won't be doing this until I move in a year but just curious about your experience. And have you been able to work in other salaried roles during this period?

Hi Annalouise -

I've just sat and passed the National Psychology Exam. Unfortunately you will need to complete a transitional programme including sitting the exam regardless of your years of experience (I qualified as a Clin Psych in UK in 2005) - 3 months is the minimum you would have to do. The issue I see is if you are less than two years qualified as this seems to be a minimum time of supervised practice required AFTER qualification needed in order to call yourself a clinical psychologist here. You'd be best to check the AHPRA website/contact them directly, but I would imagine your transitional programme would be longer without a few years experience post qualification or they might make you do something additional regarding supervised practice. AHPRA is a headache, time consuming, very frustrating and expensive - lots of hoops to jump, but I think the transitional programme is the most difficult to secure - everything else seems to be paperwork and waiting so far for me.

To to answer your other question, you can get the APS to assess your academic qualifications from the UK, which is a good idea as it can take sometime. However, you can't apply for provisional registration until you have a transitional programme in place (which would be fairly difficult without being in the country).

Hope this is helpful.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey guys, I'm really glad I found this thread. It would be really nice if some of you could help me, because I'm super anxious about some things, haha.

Soon, I want to apply for 189 general skilled independent visa, under 'psychologist nec' occupation, and you already know, I need to pass the assessment for psychologists. I'm from Europe, 29 yo, and I have 3 year bachelor degree in psychology, followed by 4th year (honors, with research thesis) and 5th years (masters - clinical module, again, with research thesis and mini-internship/practicum). Also I have 1000+ hours training-education in gestalt therapy (psychotherapy), and I'm a holder of few local, European and World psychological and psychotherapy licenses and memberships, but I'm not registered as psychologist in country where I live (here, there are no registrations for psychologists).

First I thought I wouldn't have a chance to pass the assessment, because this is 5, and not 6 years of education, but then I contacted APS representative, and I found out positive assessment can be gained, even if it's less than 6 years of education, if education content is equivalent to 6 years of study of psychology in Australia. I asked if they can tell me their personal opinion on my particular case, and they replied it's case by case assessment and they can't make any approximate generalizations.

This is the c/p of one part of their response:

"The number of years actually spent studying is not necessarily indicative of the level of comparability. As part of the assessment the APS is assessing an applicant’s overall psychological studies to ascertain how it compares to an Australian sequence of study.

For your reference the current pathway to becoming a registered psychologist in Australia requires the following steps:

1. Completion of an APAC-accredited three year undergraduate degree in psychology, followed by:

1. Completion of an APAC-accredited fourth year in psychology (some programs combine the above three year degree and the fourth year together into a four year program), followed by:

1. Completion of either:

· an APAC-accredited postgraduate psychology program (Masters level at a minimum), or

· two years of supervised practice as a provisional psychologist in an Psychology Board of Australia (PsyBA) approved internship program, or

· an APAC-accredited fifth year postgraduate study in psychology, followed by one year of supervised practice as a provisional psychologist in an Psychology Board of Australia (PsyBA) approved internship program."

My actual questions for you guys is... has anyone got positive assessment with Bsc + Msc in psychology in standard European form (5 years, ether as 3+2 or 4+1, or 3+1+1, with at least two researches and one mini-internship/practicum)?

The thing is that I don't have actual work experience as psychologist, only as a psychotherapist, and I can't prove that, because psychotherapy is not regulated profession in my country (ether). Most therapists in private practice ether work 'on black' or got registered their practice under 'other education' (and that's a title reserved for tutoring and all other 1 to 1 types of paid work in educational filed in broadest sense of the word... yes I know psychotherapy isn't education any sense of that word, but that's how things are functioning here in Eastern Europe, LOL). I thought applying for internship as clinical psychologist in some local Mental Health clinical, but first, it's not that easy to get a position, and second, I'm not sure it wold be that helpful. Here's another c/p from one of the e-mails I've got form APS:

"It is the task of the APS is to assess the level at which an applicant’s academic qualifications only are comparable to an Australian sequence of study that has been accredited by the Australian Psychology Accreditation Council (APAC), meaning that we would be unable to consider your post-graduation experience as part of the assessment.

Once the APS assessment is completed and we have a better understanding of how your academic qualifications compare to the Australian sequence of study, we will be happy to provide you further guidance of what next steps are required in order to gain registration as a psychologist in Australia."

Oh, and one more thing. On another forum one guy said he didn't got positive assessment, but that he got response that he qualifies to register as PROVISIONAL PSYCHOLOGIST. Do you have idea for what level of education is this issued and is this beneficial at all for immigration purposes?

Thank you so much, any response would be helpful!!!

• 5 months later...
Hi Annalouise -

Hope this is helpful.

Hi WilliamsClarke,

Sorry to jump in on this thread but I've just moved to WA and I'm feeling kinda lost with the whole AHPRA confusion and wondered if you could help?

I qualified as a clinical psychologist in the UK in 2012 and worked there for 3 years post-qualifying. The APS approved my qualifications (BSc, MSc, D.Clin.Psych) as equivalent to the 6 year course of study done in Aus and I migrated on an independent skilled visa (189). I understand the next step is AHPRA registration and that this must be provisional in the first instance for all overseas psychologists. My difficulty is that AHPRA cannot tell me whether or not I will need to do the 3 month transitional programme or not - they say they will assess this when I apply but that I can only apply once I have a job offer. This seems a bit of a catch-22 as I don't know what capacity I'm asking people to employ me in. I'm also not sure whether I should be responding to job adverts at all or calling practices to ask if they will take me on some kind of apprenticeship? Do you know how they decide whether or not you need to do the transitional programme and the national psychology exam? also any hints on how you found a transitional programme or what it entailed would be greatly received. For example, is it paid? can it be done in a private practice (there's a freeze on public psych jobs in Perth at the moment)? what extra are you asking for from an employer that you wouldn't as a fully qualified (e.g. more supervision etc.)? can I just call people advertising jobs and ask if they would consider taking me as transitional for the first 3 months before being fully qualified?

thanks!

• 4 months later...
Hey guys, I'm really glad I found this thread. It would be really nice if some of you could help me, because I'm super anxious about some things, haha.

Soon, I want to apply for 189 general skilled independent visa, under 'psychologist nec' occupation, and you already know, I need to pass the assessment for psychologists. I'm from Europe, 29 yo, and I have 3 year bachelor degree in psychology, followed by 4th year (honors, with research thesis) and 5th years (masters - clinical module, again, with research thesis and mini-internship/practicum). Also I have 1000+ hours training-education in gestalt therapy (psychotherapy), and I'm a holder of few local, European and World psychological and psychotherapy licenses and memberships, but I'm not registered as psychologist in country where I live (here, there are no registrations for psychologists).

First I thought I wouldn't have a chance to pass the assessment, because this is 5, and not 6 years of education, but then I contacted APS representative, and I found out positive assessment can be gained, even if it's less than 6 years of education, if education content is equivalent to 6 years of study of psychology in Australia. I asked if they can tell me their personal opinion on my particular case, and they replied it's case by case assessment and they can't make any approximate generalizations.

My actual questions for you guys is... has anyone got positive assessment with Bsc + Msc in psychology in standard European form (5 years, ether as 3+2 or 4+1, or 3+1+1, with at least two researches and one mini-internship/practicum)?

The thing is that I don't have actual work experience as psychologist, only as a psychotherapist, and I can't prove that, because psychotherapy is not regulated profession in my country (ether). Most therapists in private practice ether work 'on black' or got registered their practice under 'other education' (and that's a title reserved for tutoring and all other 1 to 1 types of paid work in educational filed in broadest sense of the word... yes I know psychotherapy isn't education any sense of that word, but that's how things are functioning here in Eastern Europe, LOL). I thought applying for internship as clinical psychologist in some local Mental Health clinical, but first, it's not that easy to get a position, and second, I'm not sure it wold be that helpful. Here's another c/p from one of the e-mails I've got form APS:

"It is the task of the APS is to assess the level at which an applicant’s academic qualifications only are comparable to an Australian sequence of study that has been accredited by the Australian Psychology Accreditation Council (APAC), meaning that we would be unable to consider your post-graduation experience as part of the assessment.

Once the APS assessment is completed and we have a better understanding of how your academic qualifications compare to the Australian sequence of study, we will be happy to provide you further guidance of what next steps are required in order to gain registration as a psychologist in Australia."

Oh, and one more thing. On another forum one guy said he didn't got positive assessment, but that he got response that he qualifies to register as PROVISIONAL PSYCHOLOGIST. Do you have idea for what level of education is this issued and is this beneficial at all for immigration purposes?

YES!!! This is almost exactly my case!! Did you went through with your APS or APAC assessment? Tell me everything :)

I just graduated my masters (5years) in Poland and I have enough points for the skilled visa, I just don't know what other schools or work I would have to do to be able to get 189 visa. ANY IDEAS?

Hi Annalouise -

Hope this is helpful.

A little bit silly question, but its all so confusing:

Which of all the APS and AHPRA etc assesments are enough for the Skilled Visa (and after getting it, I would do everything else to work as a psychologist)

Any practical information will be very welcomed:)

Cheers!

A little bit silly question, but its all so confusing:

Which of all the APS and AHPRA etc assesments are enough for the Skilled Visa (and after getting it, I would do everything else to work as a psychologist)

Any practical information will be very welcomed:)

Cheers!

I think the APS assessment is the required assessment for the Visa. The AHPRA process starts afterwards when you want to work as a Psychologist...

It's a couple of years since I did this, so I may be out of date, but hope that helps. Good luck with your application,

nc126

• 5 months later...

Also glad to have found this thread! Lots of good solid info on the process and the new requirements!

As far as I am led to believe it is the APS assessment for your skilled visa and AHPRA comes after that for the purposes of registration. Equivalent in the UK to AHPRA is the HCPC.

I am about to submit my info and docs to the APS for skills assessment probably by end of March beginning of April. Perhaps we can keep each other updated.

Good luck everyone

• 2 months later...

Hi all,

Finding this thread so helpful and just wondered if anyone had any updates. I am hoping to submit my skills assessment to the APS as soon as I pass IELTS at the required level. 

Would be lovely to hear how you are all getting on and in what type of jobs you are employed in (government, private, LD, adult mental health etc). 

• 4 weeks later...