Tax Number

Paula and Jay

Hi everyone,

Were moving to Sydney on 15th June but was wondering how we would get a tax number? Can this only be done when we're in Sydney or is this something we can sort out here?

Thanks

Jay

Hi good luck with your move. We move to Perth on 24th May and i would like to know the answer to this!

Stacey

Guest sidster

You have to be in Australia to get one ,just go to nearest tax office or you might be able to do it online now .http://www.ato.gov.au/individuals/content.aspx?menuid=4085&doc=/content/30006.htm&page=3&H3

Do it online anytime!

If your coming over soon though have it mailed to friends address in oz as they take 3/4 weeks to come through.

Does it really take 3-4 weeks to get one. Does that mean you have to wait to start work then? What about the documents to prove your identity, don't they take time to get? Medicare card etc?

Does it really take 3-4 weeks to get one. Does that mean you have to wait to start work then? What about the documents to prove your identity, don't they take time to get? Medicare card etc?

Yes does take time I'm afraid from our experience.

You can't apply for Medicare until you have somewhere to live, they wanted our rental agreement as part of the documentation for that.

You can start work, employers will understand, just pass it to them once you have it, without it you maybe subject to higher tax rate until they receive it.

Dont stress on it though it takes time but will all come together.

Been here 3 months and just remembered I best change my driving license!

You can start work without the Tax file number, you are given plenty of time to give it to your employer before you are taxed at a higher rate. Apply online when you arrive and you'll be fine, or as suggested apply prior to coming and get it sent to an Australian address.

You will also need to supply the tax number to your banks etc so that you aren't charged Withholding Tax (at about 46% :eek:) on interest from any savings. I think our TFN's came within a week.

You cannot apply for a TFN before you get here, having an Australian address to send it to won't help.

When you apply online you will be asked for your passport / visa number and as soon as you put this in there will be a cross check and when the system realises you are not in the country you will not be able to proceeed. I know from experience, I tried to apply for my OH before they got here.

My TFN took two weeks, I had it sent to the serviced apartment I was staying at. I had already started work but was never taxed at emergency rate as it was in time before the first payrun.

I applied for medicare using my temporary address / serviced apartments no problem at all.

Archived