Uk car insurance - hard copy of no claims?

fizzybangs

I've seen someone say you need a hard copy of your no claims to get insurance in UK. Isn't the hard copy of your insurance policy enough or do you need something else from the insurance company in Oz? We are with RACQ but it did us no good at all when we last went back to UK! We did an internet search over there and now our junk email folder gets full up with spam from those UK sites. Any suggestions as to a good insurance company in UK?

Guest megapixel

I believe only a handful of the UK car insurance companies will recognise your No Claims status from Australia, including Tesco and Directline (who I used and regretted when they charged an extra 10% of premium when we moved - and it was to a less-crime area), not sure who else. We had to send an original letter from previous insurance company stating our no claims status. We asked Suncorp and they sent it no problem.

Exactly. We just had to disregard our no claims built up in Oz and start from scratch, paying phenominal insurance costs. Even what we had before in UK doesn't count cos it's too old. I didn't know any even considered your Oz no claims. Although costly, starting from scratch may pay off if anything does happen because at least they can't say insurance was somehow invalid.

I've seen someone say you need a hard copy of your no claims to get insurance in UK. Isn't the hard copy of your insurance policy enough or do you need something else from the insurance company in Oz? We are with RACQ but it did us no good at all when we last went back to UK! We did an internet search over there and now our junk email folder gets full up with spam from those UK sites. Any suggestions as to a good insurance company in UK?

HI fizzybangs, was me that said you needed to bring a hard copy of your no claims bonus! Privilege Insurance do take Aussie no claims - but they wouldnt accept an emailed version of our no claims, said they wanted it on letter headed paper. So had to contact Allianz aus (who incidently are separate from allianz uk) to get them to post a copy to us in the UK, for us to then post on to Privilege.

Privilege gave us 30 days to get that hard copy to them, so added a bit of extra hassle we didnt need with trying to set up everything else in Uk. So yep, whilst in Oz definately get 1 or 2 letter headed hard copies of your no claims & bring in your hand luggage!

Good luck!

• 3 months later...

Just as an FYI for those reading this thread - Privilege and Direct Line no longer accept aussie no claims - they advised this changed about 3 months ago

They are both underwritten by UK Ins Ltd - this cant be a coincidence.

Tesco still do - can't comment on any others - can say make sure that it is a hard copy letter though - we tried e-mail and that was not acceptable.

My OH got a hard copy from the RAC and then got insurance with Cornish Mutual, whom he had been insured with in the past and had a 10years UK claim free history with. They gave him the full no claims discount. But it's not easy to get insurance with them unless you hold another policy like house insurance or have family members who insure with them.

I wasn't the policy holder in Australia so I had to go back to the beginning but it was still only about 400 pounds for my 307. Got it down to 270 by the time we left the UK.

Archived