Anybody traveling Alone ?

london chap

Are you going on a WHV or a different one? If a WHV then we have a section of the forum and I can move this thread to there. Plenty of people on a WHV travel alone. You meet plenty of people along the way.

Guest GreatBritish

I'm going over to Oz for probably six months In November, whereabouts in Australia are you going?

Hi

Loads of people travel alone, you certainly don't feel left out or like a billy no mates! I did 6 weeks last year as a bit of a trial run and loved it so am heading back in July for a full year. Loads of benefits to being on your own, you plan where you go and when, you decide what to do, where to see, where to miss out etc and there are always new and interesting people to met along the way. You also get to be antisocial when you feel like it too with no one to answer to!

If you're looking to be sociable and meet other like-minded people make sure you chose your hostels well, do some research on Tripadvisor and take recommendations from people you meet who've been there recently. Stay in shared dorms, cook in communal kitchens, hang out in the shared areas and sign up for trips the hostels organise and you'll soon find yourself making links and friends.

One thing i did discover is that a lot of the people I met travelling the east coast were going south to north whereas I was going north to south...often when I met people on trips (whitsundays, Fraser Island etc) others would be arranging to meet up further down the line for a catch up and as I was headed in the opposite direction I missed out on that. Not sure if south - north is a more standard way of doing it or if it was just coincidence! No matter really as I just met new people as I moved along.

Buses are great for getting around, cheap and if you go overnight you can save on a nights accommodation but don't underestimate how MAHOOSIVE Oz is, 12 hours on a bus and you've travelled about an inch on the map!

Enjoy it, it's awesome and you'll love it!

Join the YHA before you leave. I came to Austraila on my own in 1978. Thirty years later, I was in a room in the YHA at Central in Sydney and there was a young Irish bloke on his first night in OZ there. Two years on from that and he is well-settled on a 457 visa - got a sponsor from his employer to change from a WHV I think. The hostels are a good place to start to make some friends. If you are into any sports and have time to get involved, that could be another way. And if you follow an EPL club - Google it - most of the clubs have fan clubs in the major cities.

I initially travelled alone but met up with my now boyfriend! But if that didn't happen I may have ended up travelling alone in aus! i reckon you'll meet plenty of people if you put yourself out there :) if you need any advice/info give us a shout! I'll be happy to answer anything I know. Where abouts in aus do you wanna travel?

Guest nitrox121

ill be doing this late june early july... excited! also going solo. starting in sydney

WA such a nice part of the country, definately one of the best states to see wildlife, Perth is good I landed there and stayed there for 2 weeks. We saw perth, margaret river, denmark, albany and a few other little areas and i wish i had seen northern WA as it's meant to be beautiful. Not in Aus atm sadly! Hoping to go back in time though.

Guest nitrox121
yes exciting aswell as scary lol. How old are you and male or female... This site is very good will teach you alot :)

im male 22, will be 23 when i go.

yeah learning alot already :)

• 2 weeks later...

You will have the time of your life.

I came to Australia the first time (at 21) with a friend who went home after a few months. I spent the rest of the year travelling and working alone. Well I say alone, but you are never alone as a backpacker. It was one of the highlights of my life to date. Enjoy!

Archived