Ping Pong Pom Will Be Going Back Soon

Jackinabox

Just a quick first post to say hello. Been a while away from Oz forums and things have certainly changed over the last few years. Exchange rates, house prices and employment opportunities. More caution seems to be taken these days.

I am a ping pong pom with the old 136 PR and will be heading back soon. Cant decide where to go though. I have numerous trades/skills and can turn my hand to just about anything. Maybe looking at FIFO from QLD or a Mon - Fri job in/around Brisbane.

Regards

Jack

Guest The Ropey HOFF

Hi mate and welcome to PIO

Your not on your own ping ponging back to Oz.

All the very best of luck.

If you want FIFO i would try WA or QLD as they seem to have the most jobs. Seek has loads and there seems to be a recruitment drive going at the moment. Have you got time to go to an expedition before you go? They have loads of companies who do interviews on the day. Good luck!

If you want FIFO i would try WA or QLD as they seem to have the most jobs. Seek has loads and there seems to be a recruitment drive going at the moment. Have you got time to go to an expedition before you go? They have loads of companies who do interviews on the day. Good luck!

Thankyou very much Mizzmp,

I say FIFO because it may be an option to concider.

I have never worked FIFO for mines before but I do have relevent construction and heavy plant machinery operating/fitter skills/quals that could easily be transferable and used for that employment. My licences and trade are UK and I am uncertain if I would need to gain the equivalent licences in Oz before applying for jobs, and the costs involved etc. Perhaps the mining companies would recognise these and concider issuing 'refresher' licences with on the job training? I need to do some more research along those lines but any advise gained here would be extremely valuable. I will also look into the expo's that you mention, thanks. I assume that these would likley take place in the major cities in the UK?

I am also a qualified counterbalance/reach ForkLift Truck Instructor, although my instructor licence has now expired in the UK. I have my first aid certificates but again these would probably need refreshing and updating for the Oz market and certainly for the mining industry I assume.

I already have my PR visa without restrictions so I can live/work anywhere and gain employment in any suitable industry. Lots of transferable skills but I accept that there is the 'Australian experience' issue for some employers so I also anticipate possibly being required to start at a lower level for a probationary term or until an employer realises what I have and what I can do. I am almost 44 so this wouldnt be ideal but I suppose may be a requirement. 44 and fit, I may add. I would be looking at returning to Oz between July & Oct 2012 and probably heading towards QLD or somewhere between Gold Coast & Brisbane so I anticipate ramping up my job search and accommodation search in that area as the time gets nearer. My wife and 17 year old son are returning too but they will likely follow at a later date than me.

Any advise would be greatly appreciated. I am also unceratin as to where this post would be best placed and apologise if the content is not permitted.

I wanted to put some smilies but have yet to figure them out.

Kind regards

Jack

Hi Jack.

Im pretty sure that in QLD you would have to re sit most of your licences, HGV, Forklift, Excavator etc. See if this link is of help to you - http://www.deir.qld.gov.au/workplace/training/training/index.htm

You have picked a nice area to relocate too, there are a lot of uk migrants seem to live around there, stayz is good for short term accomodation for when you first arrive and www.reslestate.com.au is the site most use for looking at longer term rentals.

Good Luck with everything

Cal x

Awww we used to have the 136 too, bad sadly didn't move within the 5yrs after validation. but are now are finally awaiting a 176 grant! Just dont let that 136 expire, we have had to do heeps more this time round for a 176 :rolleyes:

Thanks jasperyogi,

Yep. Very fortunate to get that 136 PR when we did in 2007 and frantically clinging to it now like Willy Wonker. I remember the work and time it took to get it and the feeling we had once we got that pinky in a passport. Like every Christmas in one. We did validate it and actually moved but, as with many, personal/family issues forced us to return to UK soon after. Life takes many twists and turns but it's now or never as they say. Things have changed since then. No more £1 - $2.5 and house prices both sides have spread in opposite directions etc, but hey ho. Life isn't a rehearsal. We only get one chance.

Good luck

Hi Jack.

Im pretty sure that in QLD you would have to re sit most of your licences, HGV, Forklift, Excavator etc. See if this link is of help to you - http://www.deir.qld.gov.au/workplace/training/training/index.htm

You have picked a nice area to relocate too, there are a lot of uk migrants seem to live around there, stayz is good for short term accomodation for when you first arrive and www.reslestate.com.au is the site most use for looking at longer term rentals.

Good Luck with everything

Cal x

Thanks Cal, much appreciated. I also completely agree with your sig.

Thanks for the links.

I had anticipated the potential to have to resit for my licences for Oz and this will initially pose a financial obstacle that needs working on. Kowing that this could be an issue I have initially looked at the Driller Offsider route or similar roles. I accept that it is an entry level and a tough hands on role but if that is what a newbie is expected to do then so be it. I suppose foot in the door in a new country can only be expected in some areas, regardless of experience and quals. I certainly dont expect it given on a plate.

There is a solution, just need to find it. If it was easy, everyone would be doing it.

Cheers

Jack

Thanks Freckleface. Is that a grouper or are you just happy to see me?

I am asuming you dive. Me too.

Jack

Yeah I do but nowhere near as often as I would like to. I love diving on the Great Barrier Reef and go up at least once a year for a couple of weeks but that's about it at the moment. There are a few divers on PIO who go far more often than I do.

Thankyou very much Mizzmp,

I say FIFO because it may be an option to concider.

I have never worked FIFO for mines before but I do have relevent construction and heavy plant machinery operating/fitter skills/quals that could easily be transferable and used for that employment. My licences and trade are UK and I am uncertain if I would need to gain the equivalent licences in Oz before applying for jobs, and the costs involved etc. Perhaps the mining companies would recognise these and concider issuing 'refresher' licences with on the job training? I need to do some more research along those lines but any advise gained here would be extremely valuable. I will also look into the expo's that you mention, thanks. I assume that these would likley take place in the major cities in the UK?

I am also a qualified counterbalance/reach ForkLift Truck Instructor, although my instructor licence has now expired in the UK. I have my first aid certificates but again these would probably need refreshing and updating for the Oz market and certainly for the mining industry I assume.

I already have my PR visa without restrictions so I can live/work anywhere and gain employment in any suitable industry. Lots of transferable skills but I accept that there is the 'Australian experience' issue for some employers so I also anticipate possibly being required to start at a lower level for a probationary term or until an employer realises what I have and what I can do. I am almost 44 so this wouldnt be ideal but I suppose may be a requirement. 44 and fit, I may add. I would be looking at returning to Oz between July & Oct 2012 and probably heading towards QLD or somewhere between Gold Coast & Brisbane so I anticipate ramping up my job search and accommodation search in that area as the time gets nearer. My wife and 17 year old son are returning too but they will likely follow at a later date than me.

Any advise would be greatly appreciated. I am also unceratin as to where this post would be best placed and apologise if the content is not permitted.

I wanted to put some smilies but have yet to figure them out.

Kind regards

Jack

Have you thought about Gladstone for work??? thyey are crying out for people with your skills and you can earn mega bucks here.....look in to it.

Yeah I do but nowhere near as often as I would like to. I love diving on the Great Barrier Reef and go up at least once a year for a couple of weeks but that's about it at the moment. There are a few divers on PIO who go far more often than I do.

Isnt that always the case? Life gets in the way of living. Have also dived the GBR from Cairns and Julian Rocks in Byron. Thailand and Egypt too but like you nowhere near as much as I would like and not for some time so a refresher will be on the cards on our return. Too bloody cold in the UK and diving to see shopping trollies, toilets and double decker buses just don't have the same appeal as sharks, manta rays and spanish dancers.

Cheers

Jack

Me and my sons did our OW in Oz. Dived the GBR from Cairns and then Julian Rocks in Byron Bay. Went over to Ningaloo too

Have you thought about Gladstone for work??? thyey are crying out for people with your skills and you can earn mega bucks here.....look in to it.

Thanks millers.

The more I get involved with this the more I am finding out. Gladstone is another area that hadnt even registered, so thanks very much.

Cheers

Jack

Archived