Mornington Penisula

TristanH

Hello,

I've heard lots of good things about the Mornington Penisula and this is the place where a lot of Victorian Brits are settling too. What are the prices like and the general area for what would be a young family in a 3 bedroom house? Has anyone moved there and really felt at home whilst still having the feel of Melbourne close by too?

My OH currently lives in Caulfield but when it comes to buy together we won't be able to afford there. Will Frankston/Mornington Penisula offer us the same kind of thing or will it be a culture shock.

Please share your experience, I'd love to hear them.

Guest moldec1999

Hi, we're loving mornington but then again don't have to do the commute into the city! It's beautiful here and plenty to do and beaches are fab. Have made the trip into city a few times on the train from frankston and it's fine but couldn't do it everyday. Just don't like how built up the suburbs closer to the city are and enjoy the space of the peninsula. Only difficulty is if looking for specific things like sports clubs etc , much more varity closer to CBD

Guest moldec1999

Yes but some parts of frankston are quite rough and I wouldn't live there. That's just my opinion butwe've two young kids and frankston has its problems. Moving just outside or a little further south like Mount Eliza offers the best of both worlds. No doubt my opinion on frankston will be disputed as there are some really nice areas but working in the area I just wouldn't live there!

South Frankston, Lakewood, Tahnee Lodge are all nice areas of Frankston. Frankston has the advantage of being a central hub and also is the end of the train line.

I can relate to what the previous poster said about working in Frankston and would not live there because I used to work in Dandenong and would not live there. However I have lived on the Peninsual for 25 years now and know Frankston very well and its only a problem at night with the clubs and pubs etc and that is the same for any commercial hub which attracts a lot of people from areas around.

Mornington is very nice however if you worked in Melbourne you would need to drive to Frankston and take the train or drive to the city.

I lived in Caulfield many moons ago and I would say that Mount Eliza is equally as expensive an area to buy.

We live on the Westernport side of the Peninsula and there is a train link to Frankston on this side of the Bay. This is handy for people who live here as they can walk to the station and get the train to Frankston and change trains.

We can walk to everything in the small town I live in and we love it. The town is on top of a hill between the two bays and in summer this is a boon as we get the breeze from both bays so pleasant.

If you did not want to live so far out you could look at other Bayside suburbs such as Mordialloc, Aspendale, Edithvale and Chelsea.

Good luck

It's lovely down on the Peninsula but a helluiva commute to the city - personally I wouldn't do it but I guess one positive is that you would get a seat on the train going in, it is so far out! Have you thought of the hills and the Yarra Valley area which are very pretty with some good schools? Or are you definite on wanting a beach suburb? There are pros and cons of beach places- one of the cons for me would be the tourists and the seasonal price hikes.

Thank you all for replying :)

I would say that the Mornington Penisula in general would be our choice because most of the area would be cheaper but with the same nice atmosphere without being too far away from a hub. The idea of being able to walk to places is very nice - keeping up with the great outdoors spirit!

@Starlight7 I wasn't really think of commuting to Melbourne, I will probably end up getting a job in Frankston. But most of my girlfriend's family live around the Caulfield area, so the further away we are, the less often trips to each other would be (which we'd like). But the train from Frankston does sound useful, how long does it take to get to Flinders St? And are the prices reasonable?

Thank you for your help. :)

Hello,

I've heard lots of good things about the Mornington Penisula and this is the place where a lot of Victorian Brits are settling too. What are the prices like and the general area for what would be a young family in a 3 bedroom house? Has anyone moved there and really felt at home whilst still having the feel of Melbourne close by too?

My OH currently lives in Caulfield but when it comes to buy together we won't be able to afford there. Will Frankston/Mornington Penisula offer us the same kind of thing or will it be a culture shock.

Please share your experience, I'd love to hear them.

We came to Frankston as 10 pound poms. It's a great place. Beautiful beach, great shopping, on the Melbourne train line.

South Frankston is the best area. Avoid Frankston North.

Guest cdchaplin

we moved to oz 4 weeks ago and after a year of researching decided to try mornington penninsula. we are living in mornington and it really is beautiful place to live. wasn't impressed with the suburbs we passed on way to city as def not for us but we love it down in mornington and have secured a long term rental with not much problem and with our doggy who we collect from quarentine on saturday!!! sooo excited to see him after 5 weeks!!! good luck xxx

@cdchaplin that is really good to hear :) Was it the suburbs between Melbourne and Mornington Penisula that you weren't impressed with? I'm really glad to hear that your pet has got through, it must be quite a long way and scary to a dog!

I hope the area continues to be good to you.

we moved to oz 4 weeks ago and after a year of researching decided to try mornington penninsula. we are living in mornington and it really is beautiful place to live. wasn't impressed with the suburbs we passed on way to city as def not for us but we love it down in mornington and have secured a long term rental with not much problem and with our doggy who we collect from quarentine on saturday!!! sooo excited to see him after 5 weeks!!! good luck xxx

Hi cdchaplin

I noticed you are a nurse living in mornington. I too am a nurse and am moving out in June , we have secured a rental in mornington. Can I be nosey , and ask where you work and what speciality of nursing you are in?

I have a bank job secured at Frankston hospital. I was wondering what it was like , or whether beleura hospital was a preferred hospital. Sorry to hijack the post.

Thanks

Caroline

Guest cdchaplin

hi i din't come out with a job. have spent last month saerching and applying!! i am comunity nurse in uk, so have never worked in hospital. i have just secured an intial 3 month contract with a small company whom do health assessments for gp's so looking forward to starting next week. there are lots of jobs advertised in the hospitals

good luck xx

• 2 weeks later...

Hi...just seen this thread. We have been in Mount Martha for 3 years. It is a beautiful place. The beaches are lovely and plenty of choice. Lots of POMs here and some do the commute to the city but it is a SLOW train....takes over an hour and stops at every stop. It costs just over $10 and is $3 on a Sunday. I think living in Mount Martha/Mornington means you have the best of both worlds....the beaches and cafes on your doorstep and easy access to the city when you want a night out. Frankston is ok for shopping. Personally I wouldn't want to live in Frankston North but Frankston South is fine and the schools are good. Mount Eliza is lovely too. Hope you settle in to wherever you choose. x

Thank you very much for your replies.

@SallyandKev It is one of the main reasons we would choose somewhere on the Mornington Penisula as it's quiet but still good and close to the city :) I am sure we will love where we choose!

Archived