How much pay will I take home?

hardtochase

Hi, I'm new here and moving to Sydney on 7th June.

I've put my salary into paycalculator.com.au and it's telling me that about 19% of my pay will be deducted. I am more than happy with this but I want to check whether this sounds accurate.

I will be on a working holiday visa to begin with a view to my company sponsoring me after 6 months. I will be travelling on a one way ticket and know that I must have sufficient funds in my bank account, but it's not 100% clear how much this is since the exchange rate fluctuates. Is £5k enough and can I get away with less??

Thank you.

Guest The Ropey HOFF

Just a bit of advice for everyone when considering a wage offer, average wages in Australia are paid at about $2.3 to $2.4 to £1, ignore the current exchange rate and ensure you accept a job roughly to these rates compared to your jobs in the UK to ensure a similar standard of living.

Just a bit of advice for everyone when considering a wage offer, average wages in Australia are paid at about $2.3 to $2.4 to £1, ignore the current exchange rate and ensure you accept a job roughly to these rates compared to your jobs in the UK to ensure a similar standard of living.

Wait are you suggesting you need to earn 2.5 times more in Oz for the same standard of living in the UK? I know the cost of living is higher but this seems dramatic compared to what I've heard so far..

Guest The Ropey HOFF
Wait are you suggesting you need to earn 2.5 times more in Oz for the same standard of living in the UK? I know the cost of living is higher but this seems dramatic compared to what I've heard so far..

In Dollars yes, not far off, if you want a similar standard of living, its based on average wages in each country, off the top of my head the average wage in the UK is about £27k and in Australia its about $65k which equals roughly the $2.3 to $2.4 to £1 figure i quoted, don't ...... And i repeat DON'T use the current exchange rate or you will be skint, to put it bluntly. Best of luck.

In Dollars yes, not far off, if you want a similar standard of living, its based on average wages in each country, off the top of my head the average wage in the UK is about £27k and in Australia its about $65k which equals roughly the $2.3 to $2.4 to £1 figure i quoted, don't ...... And i repeat DON'T use the current exchange rate or you will be skint, to put it bluntly. Best of luck.

Hmm ok, I see where you are coming from, but I don't know if it's as simple as comparing average gross salaries. My friends in Sydney who earn around 60k - 70k have a MUCH better standard of living in Sydney than they would in London on 27k. For a start they live alone which would not be possible in London on 27k at all. If paycalculator is correct, I'll take home around 6% more of my salary in Oz than I would in the UK plus thanks to super I will no longer be paying seperate pension contributions, so my net income will automatically be higher in Oz than the UK, which probably goes some way to explaining it.

I haven't been using the current exchange rate, nor have I been using a rate as high as you suggested, but my net income comes into that bracket so everyone's a winner.

Guest grafter

i'm a bricklayer and hear they get terrific wages down in sydney,wonder if theres any point cosidering this venture with ads like tradesmen in demand,massive shortage in tradesmen.Here in scotland and just putting up with stuff and weather.also midges lol.pjmacvean@yahoo.co.uk

Guest The Ropey HOFF
Hmm ok, I see where you are coming from, but I don't know if it's as simple as comparing average gross salaries. My friends in Sydney who earn around 60k - 70k have a MUCH better standard of living in Sydney than they would in London on 27k. For a start they live alone which would not be possible in London on 27k at all. If paycalculator is correct, I'll take home around 6% more of my salary in Oz than I would in the UK plus thanks to super I will no longer be paying seperate pension contributions, so my net income will automatically be higher in Oz than the UK, which probably goes some way to explaining it.

I haven't been using the current exchange rate, nor have I been using a rate as high as you suggested, but my net income comes into that bracket so everyone's a winner.

Your right, its not simple, its very difficult to compare costs in each country and as you say your friends are doing ok, so hopefully you will find it the same, again best of luck.

Guest kimberleydee

Thank you for that pay website. Very handy, although I'm finding it hard to get my head around this 2.3=2.4 figure also x

Guest The Ropey HOFF
Thank you for that pay website. Very handy, although I'm finding it hard to get my head around this 2.3=2.4 figure also x

Its just the average wage figure, in Australia the average wage is paid at roughly $2.3 dollars to £1.

If you earn say £30,000 in the Uk, you should be looking for a wage no less than $70,000 dollars in Australia, to have a similar standard of living.

Hope this is easier to understand, best of luck.

Its just the average wage figure, in Australia the average wage is paid at roughly $2.3 dollars to £1.

If you earn say £30,000 in the Uk, you should be looking for a wage no less than $70,000 dollars in Australia, to have a similar standard of living.

Hope this is easier to understand, best of luck.

Right on the average wages for both places, Your Huffiness...:wink:

Cheers, Bobj.

The 2.4 conversion rate tends to work for lower and middle salary levels but not so accurate for higher earners. For instance I know someone in IT who is Australian and was in London for 5 yrs, he was earning £80,000 before he went home and is now earning $120,000 in Sydney, so 1.5 times and not even close to 2.4 - he says there is no way he could ever get 2.4 times. Sadly I am in accounting and it also seems to be the case from what I have heard from the agencies and jobs advertised, mine is about 1.8 times and my other half is 2.2.

So it varies.

The 2.4 conversion rate tends to work for lower and middle salary levels but not so accurate for higher earners. For instance I know someone in IT who is Australian and was in London for 5 yrs, he was earning £80,000 before he went home and is now earning $120,000 in Sydney, so 1.5 times and not even close to 2.4 - he says there is no way he could ever get 2.4 times. Sadly I am in accounting and it also seems to be the case from what I have heard from the agencies and jobs advertised, mine is about 1.8 times and my other half is 2.2.

So it varies.

I dont think The Hoff is saying that you should be able to acheive 2.3-2.4 times you UK salary, he is simply saying that to maintain your current standard of living this is what you need to be aiming for (and that this theory is based on the average salaries for both countries).

There are quite clearly many variables that can affect this, one of which being the current demand in a particular occupation - which may (or may not) be the case for you IT friend. The point is has this person managed to maintain the same standard of living from London (£80k) to Sydney ($120k)? I'm guessing not.

The sum does kind of work, as long as you're paid around average salary. If you are lower paid in the UK, you will likely do better here. If you're a high earner in the UK, chances are you'll be worse off here as high end salaries are not ten a penny here like they are in the UK.

We earn our UK salaries x 2.5 here in dollars and are much better off.

I would also suspect that London skews the sum as everything is so expensive there.

Archived