advice pls on renting out our house

kellyjamie

hi everyone, so after nearly a year on the market and droppin the house to the lowest we can financially go weve not had one single viewer, not even a time waster, weve had it up for rent and had alot of interest but have been let down by 3 diff people and the rest were all just wasters.

then today out the blue a young guy i used to work with whose lookin to move in with his girlfriend has contacted me about possibly renting it as a few of their friends live near, and an hour later out local council have phoned and asked if wed be interested in renting to them they have a homeless single mother with 3 children!!!

like buses, but knowing our luck neither will work out!!! im just very apprehensive about rentin but i know its our option now, so out of the two which would you take? the guy who i know but would have to lower the rent for him to afford or the council tennant who will give us full whack but could be a potential sticky wicket????

Hmmm, toughie.

I would prob end up going with the person i knew (and presume like!) as it would still be my 'home' and i couldn't take the chance someone might 'mess it up'.

It also depends how much you need the full cost or if you're happy to drop the price.

Good luck.

Guest Brissydeb

Hi, we are also going to rent our house out when we go to Perth in October. My aunt rents her house out through the council and says she has no problems. The tenants are good and looked after by the council. She does get a lower rent income each month but she does not have to pay the monthly fees as you would to a proper letting agency (one of our local renting companies want £134 each month for the full service to look after the place). Obvioulsy with both options you still need adequate insurance i,e landlord and buildings etc.

We have contacted our local council and are waiting to here from them.

Deb

the thing with the council is they only use it for homeless accomodation, so this person would be put in on a 6mth tenancy then have the option to continue for another 6 month, but theres a good chance they may be offered council housing then but no guarantee? whereas the chap i know is moving in with his GF and looking to put down roots, they both work fulltime and i know him pretty well? so do we take the council option because it pays more money or do we just cover what we need and go with the more trusted route?? im at present swaying toward the person i know atleast id have nop hassle with him, he knows the score and would stay in contact via email

I have good things about the council rents (I was surprised by this) but its the coucil who rent it, not the person staying there and from what I hear you can have it written into the contract that they fully restore it to it current condition (this is what I have heard good things about), they noramlly do a really good job.

I have rented out to someone I knew and it turned out a bit messy as they didnt exactly look after the place and I deducted some of the deposit, no longer friends.

Good luck

Have to say I'd go down the council route too. As jamjar has said, you can ask for a good deposit (which given that she has 3 kids you would be entitled to ask for as kids are messy creatures!) and set conditons within the agreement that it must be returned in a good standard. You could also say that it must be contract cleaned at the end of the tenancy as part of the agreement. Take a full photographic record of your property to prove its condition when let. The advantage to me would be that you may well have a steady stream of tenants, ie, when this lady moves out, they may well have someone lined up straight after, instead of the waiting for a prospective tenant and losing out on rent in the meantime. You should also get the rent paid direct to you rather than the tenant and then for them to pay to you for obvious reasons. The council will be regular payers, unlike potentially a tenant. Just because you know someone, doesn't mean to say they would treat it like your own unfortunately. Good luck.

Personally I would rent it to your friend - I would still get a short assuard tenacy agreement in place and a deposit.

Also you should do an inventory before you leave the property, there are companies that can do this for you and you can share the cost with tenent.

Will the council do regular checks on your property to make sure they are not knocking holes in the walls etc, if they do will the council pay for the damage? Also if renting through the council it would be best to have the electricity and gas to a card payment meter so you are not lumped with a massive bill.

Who will do any repairs if things brakes down - the council?? they cant even look after their own properties...

When going abroad regardless of the extra cost I would be putting our property in the hands of a leasing agency to deal with all this regardless of the extra costs, also as you are not in the Uk I'm not sure if your need to pay Vat on the leasing agency costs.

well we spoke to the council and they confirmed what we expected they would only be using our house for short term homeless accomodation, so most people would be in for 6mth at a time but theres not guarantee that there will be no gap between tennants, also my hubby works with homeless council policy and knows who is put into homeless accomodation, and im afraid its not the clientele i would be happy with, also the council regard them selves as a letting agent when it comes to using private rentals they do not carry out any maintenance at all which includes the tennant wrecking the house! so were seeing the couple interested in the house tonite and we,ll see what happens!

Archived