Getting an IT job in Melbourne

aduffield76

Hi all,I will hopefully be getting my 176 Visa for a move to Melbourne soon and I wondered if anyone knew the best way to secure a job in IT over there :goofy:I have been assessed by the ACS...dont know if that makes a difference?Has anyone successfully got a job in IT in Melbourne?Is it worth posting your CV on websites in Oz before you go?What agencies do people recommend?Thanks alot guys

Does this mean that you shouldn't register with agencies until you arrive in Aus?

You can try but I don't think they will put much effort into finding you anything until you can go to interviews.

In fact if memory serves me right they like to 'see' you first themselves. But my experience is a few years old now but I've heard it has not changed!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

You may have the odd one talk to you but they will at least want you to have a visa. I have 15 years in Unix most of which as a Security Engineer all with one of the largest American banks, the agencies are simply not interested until you have a visa.

This is a real pickle. I have never left a perfectly good job without having secured another job first. I find it incomprehensible to just land in Australia without a job lined up. On the other hand I can understand why one won't be entertained by employers and agencies unless one is in the country. No doubt they will have been let down by people in the past who may have accepted a job offer and never turned up. I guess you have to try to come to terms with the fact that you will probably be out of work when you land and will need to have sufficient funds to finance your life until you do find work.

You may have the odd one talk to you but they will at least want you to have a visa. I have 15 years in Unix most of which as a Security Engineer all with one of the largest American banks, the agencies are simply not interested until you have a visa.

I'm from the UK, but am lucky to have NZ citizenship :)

I'm a mid-level Network Analyst with 5 years experience, so have my fingers crossed that I can land a job ok. It would be ideal to have one lined up before I leave the UK!